Author Topic: Buying a stone (Steel v Cordierite)  (Read 643 times)

Offline Pumpkin_Eater

• I Love Pizza!
Buying a stone (Steel v Cordierite)
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
Hello all,
I'm going to be buying a stone in the next day or two so I can start baking pizza along with everyone else, but I need a little advice first.
I apologize that I will be repeating a topic covered quite frequently on here, however I can't find exactly the answers I want.

First, a little bit about what I would like to make. I'm looking to make Neapolitan pizza, and anything else I feel like trying. Ideally, I would like to make the type of pizza at my favorite pizza joint in college (http://www.faccialuna.com/). It seems to me that steel is best for making Neo pizza, especially in a 550 max oven. Now, I was also hoping to make a little bread and other baked items on this stone. So, would that make steel a bad choice? The steel may be well suited for the pizza, but it may burn the bread. What do you think? I will only be baking one or two pizzas maximum. This is for occasional fun. I'm currently leaning towards cordierite kiln shelves, about an inch thick.

Essentially, this boils down to choosing what type of 'stone' a newbie should buy.

Ciao,
G