Author Topic: Pete's Dom here I come...kinda..  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Pete's Dom here I come...kinda..
« on: February 18, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
Well, I have been absent from the forum for a while but I have not been away from making pizza's.

Lately I have been making a plain cheese dough with a simple sauce and whole milk Sargento sliced cheese from Wal-mart. I haven't made many changes to my recipe as of late because I am really happy with the outcome. You can see how a typical pie looks in the last picture (sorry about the picture quality).

Since I am heading to NYC next month I started browsing the forums more actively and discovered the reverse engineering of Difara.

This morning I decided to whip up one of Pete's recipes from page 7 - ( http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.120.html ).

I still am without a mixer (though I do have a digital scale now!) but using what I know from my regular dough experience I suffered through it. I am pretty happy with the dough ball and am interested to see how it is in 24 hours, though I may let it sit in the fridge for a full 48 hours.

I'll keep you all posted!

The pictures below are as follows:

1) Pete's DiFara dough after first kneading session
2) Fifteen minute rest and then another kneading session
3) My everyday pie which I am very happy with, just thought I would share.
4) Same as above
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:27:13 PM by Flagpull »

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pete's Dom here I come...kinda..
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:56:35 PM »
The sauce:

This is what I use as my everyday sauce and I love it to death...

First I put one can of Don Pepino sauce in a bowl (I love this stuff, it is a great base!)

Then I hand squeeze La Valle (any brand tomato produces great results) in to the sauce, I leave all of the saucey residue from the La Valle behind as I find it waters down the sauce so much. I grab the tomatoes out of the can and squeeze them in to the bowl.

I use the hand mixer to blend it up in to a nice consistency and add some olive oil and basil and that is it. I find the Don Pepino to be too thick on its own and I find San Marzanos to be too watery. Put them together and they produce a heavenly sauce.

The middle picture shows the sauce left behind in the LaValle can.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 01:24:46 PM »
Looks real good,

I am also interested in that cheese dough you make, got any pics of that?

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 01:45:07 PM »
It was entirely too early when I posted that.

I am not sure why the word cheese is in there. :)

The pizza pics in the first post are my 'everyday' dough that I make...excuse my sleepiness and incoherence in the first post.  ;D

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »
Oh my that looks good!

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 04:44:09 PM »
 :o :o :o

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 11:33:41 PM »
Flagpull,

All of your pizzas look great. How did the latest one taste? And are you sure that isn't a paintball pizza :)?

Recently, when making a Lehmann take-and-bake style pizza I used a technique that was a variation of yours. I took a can of DOP San Marzanos (Famoso brand), drained all the can fluids into a small pot, and used a hand blender to puree the remaining tomatoes right in the can itself. I then drained the pureed tomatoes so that they would thicken considerably. The drained liquid was added to the can juices in the small pot, and the whole thing was reduced using low heat. It took quite a while for the juices to boil down but I ended up with a sauce with the texture of a thin concentrated tomato paste. I added herbs and spices to the reduced tomato "paste" and stirred it into the drained pureed tomatoes. So I got good texture, body, freshness and taste. And nothing got thrown away.

Peter

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:58:11 AM »
I LOVED the pie and so did my mom and dad. My mom is a harsh critic of my pizzas and enjoys pointing out all of it's flaws. This pie really did taste like a 'pizzeria' pizza and was comparable to an average local joint. I would honestly rate it on par with some of the better known delivery places in my town, but a step below my favorite take-out pizza establishment in my town. Still, for a home made pizza, for someone to compare it to a pizzeria is a pretty big ego boost in my book. In my mind it wasn't perfect, I have two Fibrament stones on their way to me right now and am working on sourcing out the best mixer right now. I am really eyeing a $250 Pro 600 from the Kitchenaid eBay store.

Pete- Have you tried Don Pepino's sauce at all? I would be interested in getting my hands on some of their Scalfani tomatoes as well as their Violet Pizza sauce. For a cheap, fully prepared sauce, it is wonderful. Also, do you know if PennMac can get Stanislaus Full Red sauce and ship it to us home pizzamakers? I think that sauce may be the next step in recreating a 'pizzeria' pizza for me.

Thanks as always,
Philip
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:02:53 AM by Flagpull »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
Philip,

I am glad to hear that everyone liked the DiFara clone pizza. However, the version you made may not be the best one that I and others on the forum tried in our quest to break the DiFara code. The simple fact of the matter is that the DeMarco crust is very ordinary, and helped mainly by the high oven temperature that Dom uses to bake his pizzas. The formulation you may want to try is the one that was set forth in Reply 59 of the DiFara reverse engineering thread, at page 3, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.40.html (see also related posts 58 and 107).

I have not yet tried the Don Pepino prepared sauce but plan to do so at some point, particularly in light of the success you have had in combining it with the San Marzanos. As for the Stanislaus Full Red, I am fairly certain that PennMac has them in stock, even if they aren't listed on the PennMac website, at pennmac.com. I believe all the Stanislaus tomatoes at PennMac come in the #10 size can.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 12:12:54 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 12:53:30 PM »
Pete- Have you tried Don Pepino's sauce at all? I would be interested in getting my hands on some of their Scalfani tomatoes as well as their Violet Pizza sauce. For a cheap, fully prepared sauce, it is wonderful. Also, do you know if PennMac can get Stanislaus Full Red sauce and ship it to us home pizzamakers? I think that sauce may be the next step in recreating a 'pizzeria' pizza for me.

Flagpull:  In case you didn't see it, there is a discussion of the Don Pepino sauces here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2466.0.html

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 09:13:26 PM »
PizzaBrewer- I have seen that! I believe you had a thread earlier about the sauce, it was what actually turned me on to it!

Look what I picked up today!

I found a food distributor with a cash and carry about 30 minutes from me that I didn't know existed....wee...

pizzapan