Author Topic: Dough Balls  (Read 1657 times)

Offline San Jose Dale

Dough Balls
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
I've read almost everything I can find about making Neapolitan dough. I see lots of pictures of the dough balls, perfectly shaped, sitting in a proofing tray. Each time I try to replicate that, my balls end up looking like this. In this case, I did one bulk rise, then shaped the balls and put in the refrigerator for a few days. Other times, I bulk ferment for a few days, then shape balls an hour or 2 before cooking, and even then, after sitting at room temp, they always end up looking like these.

I have read that shaping the balls appropriately, will allow them to hold their shape, and allow the dough to form the correct skin and elasticity.  I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong, either the dough or the shaping, that they never retain their shape. As no matter how I try, the dough always spreads out as in this picture. Or, is this normal and I'm incorrect in thinking the balls should retain their shape.

Thanks,
Dale

Offline caltheide

Re: Dough Balls
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Gosh, I hope someone is able to answer this cause my dough balls do the same thing.  I think they will always spread a little no matter how well they are shaped/balled but how much is a good question.  I now keep my dough balls in separate Tupperware plastic bowls as they ferment so they don't stick to one another but if doing a lot I guess this would not be practical.  I hope you get some good responses.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »

Dale,

I have never ever had a Neapolitan-style dough ball stay spherical. I suppose you might be able to develop a strong enough gluten structure and sufficient surface tension to retain its shape, but I'm sure the resulting crust would NOT have the soft, tender structure I prefer.   

I'm curious about where you have read that Neapolitan dough should not flatten out.

Offline San Jose Dale

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
There is a on line book, from Forno Bravo, down load it for free. He has a very detailed technique for preparing the dough and balls. I also say some you tube videos a while back. Perhaps I'm not doing anything wrong, as the pizza always turns out great. I'm cooking in a WFO at 800 degrees.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Dale, Whats your dough formula  size of Ball and work flow?  they look great! but I am sure a bit hard to get out right? Uneven base of soft aluminum tray. May  want to get a few artisan trays  smaller version of professional tray that fits in standard fridge but you can use the plastic scraper to get into and under takes a bit of practice and confidence to go in there after it ! If I has room I have now started putting less dough balls in each tray to make it easier and quicker to extract. even some of the best local dough at  Amano (below)  looks the same, and close to blown (1st) the 2nd is spot on  but  they pop em out with ease ! 3rd is mydough inthe  artisan tray. Would be  glad to grab a few  for you.
John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:16:49 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Dale, IMHO, your proofed dough balls look great. Keep up the good work. :chef:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline San Jose Dale

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
John,

The dough is:

500g 00 flour
325 g water
3g IDY
10g water

I think you are right about a different container, it seems the dogh needs something to grab onto, so it can rise uo more and not just spread out. I'm glad though to hear that this is normal.

I was also wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between bulk fermenting Vs shaping the balls first, for the ferment in the refrigerator?

Offline deloscobos

• Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »
John,

The dough is:

500g 00 flour
325 g water
3g IDY
10g water

I think you are right about a different container, it seems the dogh needs something to grab onto, so it can rise uo more and not just spread out. I'm glad though to hear that this is normal.

I was also wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between bulk fermenting Vs shaping the balls first, for the ferment in the refrigerator?

Dale, is it 10g of water? I want to try this recipe. How many days in the fridge? Thank you.

Alejandro

Offline deloscobos

• Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
I mean, 10g of salt?