Author Topic: Glutenboy's Crust On The Blackstone With My EZ Homemade Super Peel  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Jackitup

Soooo, I started A new spot to highlight my "EZ" Super Peel as much as Glutenboy's recipe done on the BS using Kyrol HG flour. Launched the pies at 680-690 the turned up to near full  for the bake and the pies took 90-120 seconds to bake, closer to 120. Did a peperoni, onion and green olive pie, and a capicola, onion pie, both topped with homemade mozz and provolone. Pies came out a bit over charred. Waden Rosie says I have to back off on the charring a bit as she does not like it as much as myself so I guess the Warden wins and I will make future adjustments :-D

Now the EZ Super Peel is simply an old linen, tie on apron from my dad's restaurant 20+ years ago and got to thinking about making a Super Peel from them, so I have plenty to dink around with. I will make a proper one from some light weight wood at some point. As you can see from the pics I am using a piece of cardboard right now and it works pretty slick. This is useful to me because I am pokey and slow at topping pie pies and when doing a higher hydration dough it sticks quickly to anything. So I stretch my dough to shape, and lay on the floured linen, take my time saucing and topping the skin and pull the linen from underneath and it will slide perfectly on a lightly floured peel and directly on your stone with no chance of sticking. Now mind you, I can top a skin faster but, I like taking my time and this allows me to do that without having the big 'schmeer job' of a stuck pie :-D What do you think?

jon

ps....I used Garvey's sauce recipe from the Chicago Thin Crust thread and I liked it very much. I may try some other tomato paste brands as I found the Contadina brand a bit metallic tasting right out of the can, but after everything was added and mixed it was pretty damned good!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Glutenboy's Crust On The Blackstone With My EZ Homemade Super Peel
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 01:56:07 AM »
Good job with the pizzas and EZ peel.  You'll need to shoot a video showing it in action.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:12:21 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
Jon, if you were  making the pizzas at my house we would be chanting "More char, More char!" We love char around here (or at least I do; everyone else tolerates it I guess).  The pepperoni looks perfect to me.  And I love the EZ peel, complete with circumferences for various size pizzas.  Looking good! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
Jon,

I also agree great looking pizzas  ^^^ and great idea for a super peel.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »
Nice pies! I'm not sure about the char. Perhaps when I've run a few pies through my BS I'll have an opinion. And nice idea with the EZ peel. I have done a similar thing with parchment paper. It works pretty well, but takes two people to remove the paper. I like the idea of using cloth as that will, could, should wick away some moisture. Moisture is the bane of the pizza launching impaired. Meaning me.

jb

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
I was looking at your photos again and see that you have the cloth folded around the cardboard. I missed that the first time around. Does the cardboard allow you to pull the cloth out from under the pizza and onto the peel by yourself?

Thanks,
jb

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
yes, hold cardboard, pull linen cloth room underneath and it will slide right onto lightly floured peel, shake and onto stone. Won't stick to floured linen and not on peel long enough to get stuck

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
yes, hold cardboard, pull linen cloth room underneath and it will slide right onto lightly floured peel, shake and onto stone. Won't stick to floured linen and not on peel long enough to get stuck

jon

Just a great idea. I'll try it out this weekend.

Thanks,
jb