Author Topic: Countries of the World with Registered Members on the Forum  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Countries of the World with Registered Members on the Forum
« on: August 07, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, I used the forum's search engines in an effort to identify the countries of the world with registered members on the forum. I soon discovered that how a "country" is defined can vary depending on who is creating the list. I finally decided to use the list as given at http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/countries_of_the_world.htm. That list includes not only sovereign states, but dependent states and disputed territories as well. Also, since that list was created, there may have been other changes.

As best I can tell from my searches, as of this date we have members registered from over a hundred countries (105 countries as of this writing) of the world. These members registered of their own volition. That is, they were not solicited in any way. So, they presumably thought enough about pizza to register on the forum. The actual number of countries represented on the forum is no doubt greater than 105 since foreign Guests can visit and view what is on the forum without having to register and make an introductory post. But, however, one views the list of countries, it is clear that pizza has widespread appeal across a good part of the world. And somehow, the members from those countries managed to find our forum.

Here is the list as presently constituted:

Afghanistan, Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guam, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kosovo (disputed), Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Malaysia, Maldives (Republic of), Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Mozambique, Netherland Antilles, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia (former), Scotland, Sri Lanka, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (disputed), Tajikistan, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, U.S., Venezuela, Vietnam, Virgin Islands (a U.S. Territory), Wales, Zambia (updated to 116).

What I found most interesting is that the African countries are not well represented on the forum. As best I can determine, there are around 55 entities that make up the African nation. However, there are only four such entities represented on the forum--Mauritius, Mozambique, South Africa and Zambia.

As one might expect, members from countries outside of the U.S. don't last long on the forum and they rarely, if ever, become Supporting Members. I think a good part of the reason is that the members from most countries outside of the U.S. and a few other countries usually do not have the ingredients and equipment and facilities available to them to make the very best pizzas, and sometimes even sub-par pizzas. And even with considerable handholding, results can be less than one would hope for. So, there is perhaps little incentive for the majority of foreign members to stick around the forum and become active members. Added to this is the language/translation problem, especially for non-English speaking countries. Some foreign members are able to get around all of these barriers and make meaningful contributions to the forum through their posts but they still represent a small subset of the membership of the forum.

Peter

Edits to add additional countries/territories: Nepal (8/14/13); Maldives, Republic of (8/30/13); Trinidad & Tobago (11/25/13); United Arab Emirates (12/1/13); Barbados (1/16/14); Armenia (2/4/14); Paraguay (2/14/14); Albania (3/4/14); U.S. Virgin Islands (4/11/14); Morocco (6/19/14); Honduras (9/10/14); Tunisia (11/17/14)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Countries of the World with Registered Members on the Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
Peter, thanks for your hard work in finding all that info. Whew!!!!!!! :o

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
Peter,

I find your thread interesting.  I don't have a forum like is that is interactive, but I have watched on my pizza blog for awhile what countries, or places have visited my blog. I can look at what countries visited by looking at audience.  I learned new places I never even knew existed.  Another thing I found interesting were the top 10 countries that have visited my pizza blog were United States, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, Sweden, France and Poland in the order given.  I don't post much in my blog anymore, but do add a few posts here and there.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Very interesting!  Thanks for posting this.

Offline parallei

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
Interesting Peter, thanks.  You've got a couple misplaced though......

What I found most interesting is that the African countries are not well represented on the forum. As best I can determine, there are around 55 entities that make up the African nation. However, there are only six such entities represented on the forum--Bangladesh, Burma (Myanmar), Mauritius, Mozambique, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Zambia.

Peter

Bangladesh - Southeast Asia
Burma (Myanmar) - Southeast Asia

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:16:08 PM »
Paul,

Thank you for catching the errors. I have corrected them in my original post. Despite the errors, I must say that my geography improved considerably as I conducted my research. Part of that research included studying the world maps at the back of an American Way magazine on a recent American Airlines flight. That was a big help.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »
In my opening post, I forgot to add that a lot of our foreign members have benefited mightily from our forum. Several have taken what they learned on the forum and from our members and started businesses or improved existing ones. Just recently, I received a very nice email from one of our members from Bolivia who said that for some time he had been following what I posted on the Papa John's clone thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg58195.html#msg58195) and that he was inspired by that thread to start a pizza business in Bolivia using and tweaking my formulation. He said that after three weeks of doing business, he was selling around 30 to 45 pizzas a day, with a peak of 96 pizzas on "teacher's day" (whatever that is). He also gave me his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/yammyscz so that I could see his pizzas.

Out of curiosity, I checked the PJ website to see if they are currently in Bolivia. I wondered how they would do as a second mover in Bolivia on the PJ style pizza. As can be seen at http://www.papajohns.com/international.shtm, PJ is not in Bolivia. However, all of the countries in which PJ does business are on the list I set forth in the opening post. Since the big pizza chains like Domino's and Pizza Hut also have major presences in foreign countries, that may be a factor in steering people in those countries to our forum. They already know the names and the local versions of the chains' pizzas.

Peter

Offline parallei

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »
I must say that my geography improved considerably as I conducted my research.

Peter

I've been fascinated by maps and geopolitical boundaries since I was a kid.  Not sure why.

I wonder how many here participate in foreign pizza forums.  I've peaked around in an Italian forum (that I can't locate now) but didn't get involved.  I think PM.com is the best out there.

Paul

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
The Italian forum is at http://www.pizza.it/forum#.UgOGf2t5mSM . On occasion, some of our members will use Google Translate (or something similar) to translate material on that forum into English. Foreign members will also sometimes use a translator to be able to post in English on our forum.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:09:46 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline parallei

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
Peter,

Here is the forum I was thinking of. I finally found it again!

http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
Paul,

Thank you. That forum might be of interest to our members who are fluent in Italian and can't get enough on pizza on this forum :-D.

Peter

Offline parallei

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
Peter,

If one enters the link to the site I posted in Google Translate it is, for the most part, intelligible in Inglese.

I haven't poked around it much.  Like you said, thee is plenty here at PM.com.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:43:50 PM by parallei »

pizzapan