Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 347256 times)

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2075 on: May 25, 2016, 10:47:53 PM »
So does Maruca's at the Seaside boardwalk. Pretty sure there's one reason they all use this...it bakes a lot of pies at the same time. Is it essential for ultimate crust and crumb?. I've never had a better  boardwalk pie than Norma's...she has deck ovens; not a Rotoflex in sight.

Offline Arctic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2076 on: May 25, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »
So does Maruca's at the Seaside boardwalk. Pretty sure there's one reason they all use this...it bakes a lot of pies at the same time. Is it essential for ultimate crust and crumb?. I've never had a better  boardwalk pie than Norma's...she has deck ovens; not a Rotoflex in sight.

probably the original intent was to produce more pies at a faster pace.  one side effect is a different crust/crumb than using other oven types.  there were many other pizzerias around campus.. but powelton was very close to mack's.  they both use rotoflex.  i'm not a scientist, but i do know different ovens produce different results.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:24:09 AM by Arctic Pizza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2077 on: May 26, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »
i went to school at the university of pennsylvania which shares the same ethos of pizza in central jersey and jersey shore, or used to at least..

there was a pizzeria at upenn called powelton which did a replica of mack's.  they still do.  last visit was last fall, the pies are still the same since i went to school there over 20 years ago. 
one characteristic of that pie is a blonde crust.  there is no extra crispiness, no crunch, it folds on it's own dough strength, not on crisp.  the crust is really good, unique to the geography.  it is a toothsome crust that has structure, but it's a very thin soft crumb.  the cheese is the seller.  high milkfat cheddar/mozz.  lots of good grease.

one very important aspect of this pie is the use of a special oven called the rotoflex oven.  http://www.tamirson.com/images/1027roto%205.gif

mack's uses this, so does powelton as does mack and manco in ocean city. 

the oven is an important variable of any pizza one wants to replicate imho.  i can't find this kind of pie anywhere in nyc.

Artic Pizza,

Your story is interesting.  I had gone to Mack's pizza since I was very young.  Mack's bakes in a Rotoflex oven, but did bake in regular deck ovens years ago.  http://www.funchase.com/Images/Macks/MacksPizzaPg1.htm  The original Maruca's I would guess bake in regular deck ovens too, but don't know.  Maruca's started in Trenton, NJ and their pizza were called "Tomato Pies".  I went to Joey's Pizza in Hamilton, NJ and their pies blew Mack's pizzas away.  Joey's uses a rotoflex oven.  I think it is all how the pie bakes in rotoflex or deck oven in if it will be good or not.  I believe Joey's Pizza was once a Maruca's pizza.  At least that is what I understand.

I reported on Joey's pizzas at Reply 13 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25251.msg254875#msg254875   I was trying for Joey's crispness on the bottom crust for a long while.  Most of my pizzas now do have that crispness unless I foul something up in the bake, or by putting too many cheeses/ingredients on the pizza.  I think that getting the close to perfect crisp/whatever else you want in a pizza has to do with a lot of things.  It isn't just the oven.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2078 on: May 26, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »

Is it essential for ultimate crust and crumb?. I've never had a better  boardwalk pie than Norma's...she has deck ovens; not a Rotoflex in sight.

Bill,

I don't believe that a Rotoflex oven if necessary to achieve the ultimate crust and crumb.  It just takes some experiments and the help of forum members to achieve what you want. 

Norma

Offline Arctic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2079 on: May 26, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
Artic Pizza,

Your story is interesting.  I had gone to Mack's pizza since I was very young.  Mack's bakes in a Rotoflex oven, but did bake in regular deck ovens years ago.  http://www.funchase.com/Images/Macks/MacksPizzaPg1.htm  The original Maruca's I would guess bake in regular deck ovens too, but don't know.  Maruca's started in Trenton, NJ and their pizza were called "Tomato Pies".  I went to Joey's Pizza in Hamilton, NJ and their pies blew Mack's pizzas away.  Joey's uses a rotoflex oven.  I think it is all how the pie bakes in rotoflex or deck oven in if it will be good or not.  I believe Joey's Pizza was once a Maruca's pizza.  At least that is what I understand.

I reported on Joey's pizzas at Reply 13 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25251.msg254875#msg254875   I was trying for Joey's crispness on the bottom crust for a long while.  Most of my pizzas now do have that crispness unless I foul something up in the bake, or by putting too many cheeses/ingredients on the pizza.  I think that getting the close to perfect crisp/whatever else you want in a pizza has to do with a lot of things.  It isn't just the oven.

Norma

yes, agreed.  it's not just the oven, but i think it's an important variable.  though formulations could be altered to work in other ovens to achieve similar end. 
years ago, pizza hut and dominos baked in deck ovens and then switched to conveyor which ultimately altered the product.  they did change the dough formulations to try to approximate the previous product,  but was still different.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:28:34 AM by Arctic Pizza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2080 on: May 26, 2016, 09:27:05 AM »
yes, agreed.  it's not just the oven, but i think it's an important variable.  though formulations could be altered to work in other ovens to achieve similar end. 
years ago, pizza hut and dominos baked in deck ovens and then switched to conveyor which ultimately altered the product.  they did change the dough formulations to try to approximate the previous product was, but was still different.

Artic Pizza,

I agreed the oven is an important variable.  I also agree that formulations can be altered to work in other ovens to achieve similar results.  I used to like Pizza Hut's pizzas, but since they changed a lot of things I don't like their pizzas anymore. 

Norma

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2081 on: May 26, 2016, 09:58:38 AM »
Let me jump back in here and clarify what I was saying.  :-[ .It's tough sometimes in typing. I wasn't really asking if Rotoflex was necessary to get the right crumb and crust..I was actually (correctly or not) trying to note that I thought  it really was not.   :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:00:25 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2082 on: May 26, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Let me jump back in here and clarify what I was saying.  :-[ .It's tough sometimes in typing. I wasn't really asking if Rotoflex was necessary to get the right crumb and crust..I was actually (correctly or not) trying to note that I thought  it really was not.   :)

Bill,

;D  I have a tough time too putting the right words into what I really mean.   :-[  You are doing fine!  :P

Norma

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2083 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
Thanks Norma   :)    By the way, I enjoy using my Norpro pouring spout There was a question earlier from MR about pouring Sclafani's with it...With a little blender time and a bit of water to thin it. I haven't had any problem

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2084 on: May 26, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »
By the way, I enjoy using my Norpro pouring spout There was a question earlier from MR about pouring Sclafani's with it...With a little blender time and a bit of water to thin it. I haven't had any problem

Bill,

I am glad you enjoy using your Norpro.  I hope Minolta Rokkor sees your post.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2085 on: July 13, 2016, 07:10:55 AM »
My daughter took a vacation day on Friday and invited me to go along to Wildwood.  Thought I would get to taste Mack's pizza again and see if I could find more out about Mack's pizza.  I guess it wasn't meant to be.  The only time the refrigeration repair man can come to put in a new compressor on the deli case is on Friday about 5:00 PM.  I was ticked at first but that is the way it is.   :(  The pizza life isn't fun all of the time.  Was looking to enjoy some beach time and also maybe go "under the boardwalk".

Norma