Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 358358 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2100 on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:05 PM »
Had a nice trip to Wildwood today.  Mack's pizza was very good.  The squishy cheese and sauce tasted great.  The rim crust was crackery today.  I will probably post another day about how I think Peter's formulation is pretty darn good for a Mack's Pizza.  The man that was opening the doughs did press a lot on the dough before he stretched the dough.  There were no fermentation bubbles in the dough skin.  The dough has kind of a yellow color, is somewhat tough to open at first, then stretches very well.  I can see how there isn't oven spring from all of that pressing.  No tossing or twirling today at either Mack's Pizza locations.  Mack's sauce is thinner than I originally thought it was.  The pie man also put a lot of cheese on the the first time before the sauce.  The second application of the cheese is lighter.  A lot of pizzas can be put in their Roto-Flex ovens.  Our slices where reheated for pretty long and the bottom crust still wasn't crispy, but it folded nicely.  Kind of odd that the rim crust was crispy and the bottom crust wasn't, but that is how I recall a Mack's pizza from a long time ago.

For Bill there is nothing wrong “under the boardwalk” at Wildwood.  It was very clean.  Was going to check to see if any pizzas where thrown under the boardwalk because where we went under the boardwalk wasn't far at all from the Mack's we ate at.  :-D  Didn't get to do that though because of the long walk out to the beach.  When you are carrying beach chairs, cooler, and bags it can seem like the ocean is pretty far while walking out to the beach.  On the way back to the car it seemed a lot longer, because of being in the ocean and sun for about 3 hrs. 

Also had a salted caramel gelato which was good.  After the walk on the boardwalk that was enough for one day.  Didn't realize that the sun, walking and being in the ocean could be so tiring.  There were accidents on the way to Wildwood and coming home.  That made both trips a lot longer.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2101 on: August 07, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2102 on: August 07, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
What I think is the best part about Mack's pizza is the squishy cheese and sauce blended together with the crust.  Somehow it just works for me.  That photos is jpg. 20.

This is the first year I saw what is called a "beach taxi" on the beach.  It takes peoples belongings and them out to the beach and then takes them back when they are ready.  I didn't ask how much that costs.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:29:32 PM by norma427 »

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2103 on: August 07, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
Bill,

Lol, based on the excitement promised by the famous song lyrics, you did once look under the boardwalk.  Sorry to hear it was disgusting.  You are a man so I can understand you looked at the newly-replaced boardwalk at Belmar.  I sure don't know what Trex is.  The boardwalk at Wildwood today goes up and down at different place we walked.  Don't even know what causes that, but it feels funny.  As soon as we got on the boards at Wildwood I heard the song “Oh those Wildwood days”  It made me think about what might be under the boardwalk.  :-D

Norma

Watch the tram car please.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2104 on: August 07, 2016, 10:33:15 PM »
Watch the tram car please.

Yep, forgot to mention that.   :-D  Thanks for posting about that.   ;D

Norma

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2105 on: August 07, 2016, 10:41:29 PM »

This is the first year I saw what is called a "beach taxi" on the beach.  It takes peoples belongings and them out to the beach and then takes them back when they are ready.  I didn't ask how much that costs.

Norma

They had those when I was last there in 2012.  It's a long way from the boardwalk to the water.   Years ago,  a friend of mine stepped on a cigarette on the boardwalk and burned his foot.  I had to listen to him whine the whole way as we walked across the hot sand to the water.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2106 on: August 07, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »
They had those when I was last there in 2012.  It's a long way from the boardwalk to the water.   Years ago,  a friend of mine stepped on a cigarette on the boardwalk and burned his foot.  I had to listen to him whine the whole way as we walked across the hot sand to the water.

jkb,

I wonder why I didn't see them before this year.  Good they have been around.  I know it a long way from the boardwalk to the water.  We said today maybe by next year we might need one of those carts that have big wheels to take all of our stuff down to the beach. That sand does get very hot when walking on it.  Some places they do have a boardwalk to walk to the beach but other places they don't.  I heard Wildwood has installed AccessMats at some places this year.  I didn't see any though.

http://www.wildwood365.net/2016/08/crest-sampling-matted-beach-walkways.html

When I was a lot younger the beaches at Wildwood were long, but have gotten longer over the years.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2107 on: August 08, 2016, 06:23:37 AM »
The sauce was not prominent, maybe a little sweet...Didn't see it going on, not sure where saucing was happening yesterday but not easily seen through window...All I saw was some doughs being opened. The reheats of course were just sitting there waiting to go. Cheddar was certainly forward .very tasty, but next time, I'm thinking I'll try their fresh mozz for variety. (as I finished typing this, I saw you posted Wildwood pix...I'll go back and do some reading :) )
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:25:20 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2108 on: August 08, 2016, 06:55:04 AM »
Those Maxk slices look good Norma..very different from Maruca's...and appear to be a human scale slice. Marucas' are huge! But Sawmill from posts above are even bigger. Was going to try some to sample but there was no way  ( I was stuffed) ...I noted it looked pretty pale and lifeless though but didn't see it after reheating, so that may be far different.

That's a nice clean beach...and so open. A very different scene than Seaside!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2109 on: August 08, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
The sauce was not prominent, maybe a little sweet...Didn't see it going on, not sure where saucing was happening yesterday but not easily seen through window...All I saw was some doughs being opened. The reheats of course were just sitting there waiting to go. Cheddar was certainly forward .very tasty, but next time, I'm thinking I'll try their fresh mozz for variety. (as I finished typing this, I saw you posted Wildwood pix...I'll go back and do some reading :) )

Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts on Marcua's sauce.  By the looks of your Maruca's slice at Reply 2097 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg442760#msg442760 it looks like the sauce would have been applied last.  I would have thought you might have really watched how the pie men at Marcua's were doing things, since you started threads about sauce thinness and thickness and cheese amounts.  Guess you were thinking about eating a Marcua's slice.  ;D I didn't know Maruca's offered fresh mozzarella as a choice.  I have learned different things when watching the pie men at Mack's.  I still learn something new each time I get to go.  I try to position myself right where I can watch how they prepare the pizzas at Mack's.  My daughter wanted to sit out on the back patio, where it was cooler.  I said no, I wanted to watch them make the pizzas.  The man that was applying the toppings, and sliding the pies into the oven yesterday at Mack's kept looking at his cell phone and texting.  I notice that he kept putting his hands through the cheese in the big box.  It looked like it wanted to stick together some.

Those Maxk slices look good Norma..very different from Maruca's...and appear to be a human scale slice. Marucas' are huge! But Sawmill from posts above are even bigger. Was going to try some to sample but there was no way  ( I was stuffed) ...I noted it looked pretty pale and lifeless though but didn't see it after reheating, so that may be far different.

That's a nice clean beach...and so open. A very different scene than Seaside!

I only had one slice of Mack's pizza yesterday and it was better than the last couple of times when I visited Mack's.  My daughter had the pepperoni slice.  I try to really taste what is going on in a plain cheese slice, and also I don't need the pepperoni.  :-D I ate a lot of fruit and other things on the beach so one slice was enough. The slices of plain cheese at Mack's are $ 2.75.  Thanks for telling us that Maruca's slices are huge.  I saw on facebook yesterday Chaz was at Marcua's.  Chaz's slice looked very good.  Too bad the two of you didn't see each other.

Wildwood does have very long clean beaches and they are free.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2110 on: August 08, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »
Thanks Norma..I know, I would have liked to have seen the sauce/cheese application at Maruca's...it's possible there might have been a view through a side window..but when I was there and where I was standing, I saw nothing! The main item for me was getting  a cold drink to Sally, who was melting in the heat! But yes, I think sauce last based on appearance. So Chaz was there!? We might have been standing next to each other and not known it...

Seaside beach isn't free, and neither is Maruca's...I think the slices must be about 5 bucks..We had a total of two plain slices, one large  Coke, one bottle of water= 15 bucks
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:45:53 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2111 on: August 08, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Thanks Norma..I know, I would have liked to have seen the sauce/cheese application at Maruca's...it's possible there might have been a view through a side window..but when I was there and where I was standing, I saw nothing! The main item for me was getting  a cold drink to Sally, who was melting in the heat! But yes, I think sauce last based on appearance. So Chaz was there!? We might have been standing next to each other and not known it...

Seaside beach isn't free, and neither is Maruca's...I think the slices must be about 5 bucks..We had a total of two plain slices, one large  Coke, one bottle of water= 15 bucks

Bill,

There are videos of Marcua's applying the sauce on Youtube.  This is one of those videos at Maruca's.  Trenton Bill gave me one of those sauce containers and the sauce does have to be rather thin to pour the sauce when using that kind of container. 

Yep, Chaz was there.  Maybe Chaz will post a photo of his Maruca's slice.  You might have been standing next to each other. 

We wouldn't have purchased water, because we had frozen waters in the cooler, and I had one in my pocketbook.  We didn't want to appear too cheap when ordering just one slice a piece, so we did order water bottles.  The water bottles were very big and I think the bill for the 2 slices and 2 waters was about $10.00.

Good you got Sally a cold drink.   ;)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: August 10, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
This was the Wildwood Pizza Tour 2016.

I don't know how those guys can eat so many slices.  :o  Mack's didn't win, but did place in the top 5. 

http://www.wildwoodpizzatour.com/pizza-tour-2016 

When we were walking the boardwalk on Sunday we heard the one pizzeria saying their slices were $1.00.

Norma

Offline David_Makes_Pizzas

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2113 on: August 16, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
Hi Norma,

This thread is deep! Deeper than a Chicago-style pizza from Lou Malnati's. So please forgive me for asking a question that you may have already answered elsewhere in this thread.

What did you finally come up with for pizza dough and sauce recipes that most closely resembles Manco and Manco's? In the first few pages I see that you posted a couple dough recipes, that the cheese is either straight mild white cheddar or a mix with mozzarella, and the sauce may be Gangi Supreme (which I think was bought by someone else?). I'm eager to hear what your current thoughts are about replicating this pie.

I'm craving the taste of that pizza. I live in Alaska and haven't been to the Jersey Shore for years, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back, so I think I am going to have to try to replicate it on my own. Any information you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and passion for this pizza.

David

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2114 on: August 17, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »
Hi Norma,

This thread is deep! Deeper than a Chicago-style pizza from Lou Malnati's. So please forgive me for asking a question that you may have already answered elsewhere in this thread.

What did you finally come up with for pizza dough and sauce recipes that most closely resembles Manco and Manco's? In the first few pages I see that you posted a couple dough recipes, that the cheese is either straight mild white cheddar or a mix with mozzarella, and the sauce may be Gangi Supreme (which I think was bought by someone else?). I'm eager to hear what your current thoughts are about replicating this pie.

I'm craving the taste of that pizza. I live in Alaska and haven't been to the Jersey Shore for years, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back, so I think I am going to have to try to replicate it on my own. Any information you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and passion for this pizza.

David

Hi David,

I will answer your questions the best I can in the next couple of days.  If Peter recalls some of the links, or some of the relevant posts that would help .  My mom's 94th birthday is today so I don't have time to look for all of the links right now. 

Norma

Offline ncarrocino

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2115 on: August 17, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
Mack's has been my favorite pizza since I was little and I look forward to it every summer! I'm super excited and have spent a few hours on this thread the last two days and can't wait to start trying! (I currently have my first attempt at three glutenboy doughs sitting in the fridge I have to eat first!) Every time I think I have the formulation to try I find another. I will have to find a nice cheddar cheese to try and since I cant find where I can buy gangi sauce I will have to try the walmart blend norma makes. As for the dough I was thinking of trying the formation from reply 307 (with the process from coming from reply 104) from pete unless someone has one further along. Ill await the reply from norma for now! picture is from a few weeks ago
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:46:54 PM by ncarrocino »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2116 on: August 17, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
I believe that Norma eventually ended up trying the formulation at Reply 307 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472 but using the Full Strength flour. And I am quite certain that the Reply 307 formulation was what Norma referred to (without citing it by post number) at Reply 1919 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg393853#msg393853. However, Norma would often tweak the formulations I came up with at some point to improve the final product. So, she may be better equipped to give the final formulation.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2117 on: August 17, 2016, 10:19:05 PM »
I believe that Norma eventually ended up trying the formulation at Reply 307 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472 but using the Full Strength flour. And I am quite certain that the Reply 307 formulation was what Norma referred to (without citing it by post number) at Reply 1919 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg393853#msg393853. However, Norma would often tweak the formulations I came up with at some point to improve the final product. So, she may be better equipped to give the final formulation.

Peter

Peter,

You are right that I eventually ended up trying your formulation at Reply 307.   I don't recall what kind of flour I used though.  I never tweaked your formulation.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2118 on: August 18, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
Hi Norma,

David

David,

As I posted in my last post, I used Peter's formulation for the dough at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472  That formulation could be scaled down if you don't want to make a large pizza.  You also can scale the IDY up a little if you want to use the dough in a days time, or you could even make same day doughs. Mack's and Manco and Manco's crusts really don't have the taste of a dough that has been fermented very long. The dough formulation has to be able to take a lot of pressing on the dough before opening it.  Once it is open some then it can be stretched out.  It doesn't need to be twirled or tossed as I recently saw at Mack's. 

I still believe Mack's and Manco and Manco used all white mild cheddar that comes in big blocks.  A cheddar that I think comes close is the sharp white Cracker Barrel cheddar.  http://www.target.com/p/cracker-barrel-vermont-sharp-white-cheddar-cheese-8-oz/-/A-12955120 It says it is sharp but really isn't.

I did purchase the Gangi Supreme in a case one time.  Steve (Ev) also purchased a can of the Gangi Supreme Super Heavy Pizza sauce at Reply 1626 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg242486#msg242486  ou can see how thick it was and how it needs water so it can get thinner in consistency.  A good try at a Manco and Manco pizza could be with Great Value Walmart crushed tomatoes.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-All-Natural-Crushed-Tomatoes-28-oz/10415230 and Great Value tomato paste.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Tomato-Paste-6-Oz/10415519  The combination might need thinned down some with water to be able to pour from the Norpo.  When I looked and tasted a Mack's pizza recently there was more oregano than I thought before added.  The sauce was a little sweet so a little sugar might need to be added.  There is also a little pepper in their sauce.

I was given the amounts of ingredients to try in a Mack's sauce, but can't find that paper now, and I couldn't scale it up or down for experimenting with different size cans of sauce/pastes.

Since Mack's and Manco and Manco uses the hose to apply the sauce a good thing to try is a Norpro pouring pitcher. 

https://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-3040-Funnel-Pitcher-3-5-Cup/dp/B002YL5ZSU/?tag=pmak-20

The last time I was at Mack's I noticed the cheese seems to be shredded differently than I shred my at market.  The shredded cheese seemed to be smaller than what I normally do.  The first round of cheese is applied quite heavily, which I might not have noticed before.  Then the spiral application of the sauce.  Then a little more cheese is applied on top of the sauce. 

I had a customer tell me two weeks ago they were going to Manco and Manco.  I told the customer I think Manco and Manco only applies the cheese one time with the sauce on top now. When the customer came back he told me I was right that at Manco and Manco the cheese is only applied one time. 

From the appearance of Mack's dough balls on my recent visit and also before, there doesn't seem to be much of any fermentation time, or not a lot of IDY would be used.  Seeing the stack of dough balls and them looking almost lifeless, in the hot heat, is what makes me think that.  There is only some kind of waxed paper sitting on top of the dough balls.  I don't know how they keep from drying out, unless they are oiled heavily. 

I know Mack's used to use Kyrol flour, but don't know what they use now.  A flour like All Trumps or a higher protein flour might be a good choice if you can find them.  If not, Peter's formula is good.

What kind of oven do you have, do you have a pizza stone, and what kind of temperatures does you oven get to?

At some point in time I will try Peter's formulation again with the flour and VWG he used.

Norma

Offline David_Makes_Pizzas

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2119 on: August 19, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
Norma, Peter,

You both are incredible!  Thank you for pulling all of this information together, I really appreciate it and can't wait to give it a try. I'll give the sauce you recommended a try too, and if in the meantime you come across the recipe/proportions paper, please post it as well.

I have a Jenn-Air electric oven. We just moved in to this home, so I haven't had an opportunity to see how hot it actually gets. I have a large stone and a peel, so we'll see how it all turns out.

Again, thank you! When I get an opportunity to make the pizza, I'll post photos here.

David

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2120 on: August 19, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »
Mack's has been my favorite pizza since I was little and I look forward to it every summer! I'm super excited and have spent a few hours on this thread the last two days and can't wait to start trying! (I currently have my first attempt at three glutenboy doughs sitting in the fridge I have to eat first!) Every time I think I have the formulation to try I find another. I will have to find a nice cheddar cheese to try and since I cant find where I can buy gangi sauce I will have to try the walmart blend norma makes. As for the dough I was thinking of trying the formation from reply 307 (with the process from coming from reply 104) from pete unless someone has one further along. Ill await the reply from norma for now! picture is from a few weeks ago

ncarrocino,

Sorry I didn't reply to your post.  Things have been hectic this week. 

Glad to hear Mack's has been your favorite pizza since you were little, and you still look forward to it every summer.  The cracker barrel white sharp cheddar seems like it comes the closest to Mack's cheddar than can be found at the retail level. 

Will be interested in your results!

Anymore questions just ask.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2121 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »
Norma, Peter,

You both are incredible!  Thank you for pulling all of this information together, I really appreciate it and can't wait to give it a try. I'll give the sauce you recommended a try too, and if in the meantime you come across the recipe/proportions paper, please post it as well.

I have a Jenn-Air electric oven. We just moved in to this home, so I haven't had an opportunity to see how hot it actually gets. I have a large stone and a peel, so we'll see how it all turns out.

Again, thank you! When I get an opportunity to make the pizza, I'll post photos here.

David

David,

When I find time I will look for the paper that has the amounts of ingredients that used to be in the sauce at Mack's.  I just saw it the other week, but don't know what I did with it.  I still won't be able to scale it down. 

Sounds like your Jenn-Air electric oven would be good for a Mack's pizza. 

If there are anymore question just ask.

Will be looking forward to how you Mack's pizza turns out.

Norma

wordpress