Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 256858 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1950 on: August 31, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
Norma, quick question...has it been determined that Mancos uses 100% cheddar vs mozzarella? As a side note, I have never been impressed with Manco. Last week I gave their Sicilian slice a go. Terrible. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I will not go there again.

Chaze,

I really don't know what Manco & Manco uses now.  I do know that my friend told me that his friend used to work at Manco & Manco years ago and they did use all cheddar then.  My friend just talked to his friend a few months ago when he visited Lancaster.

I can see how Manco & Manco pizzas have gone downhill.  I didn't even know that they had Sicilian pizzas.  I understand why you won't be not going back again.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1951 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
The first photo shows what the prep fridge temperature was the first thing this morning.  The bottom of the prep fridge had the same temperature.  Now on to the second, third, fourth and some other photos.  The Mack's dough balls fermented a lot more than the regular boardwalk style dough balls.  I wouldn't have thought with the lower “effective hydration” of the Mack's dough the dough balls would have fermented so much more in less than a day.  When tempering the Mack's dough balls they also fermented a lot more.  I wonder what is up with that.  The dough balls in the flour that had big bubbles were Mack's doughs.  The regular batches of boardwalk style doughs were mixed before the Mack's dough batch.

I only made two pizzas out of the five dough balls. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1952 on: September 01, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1953 on: September 01, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
The last photo is at the end of the night of a regular boardwalk style dough and a Mack's dough.  They both were in the bottom of the prep fridge all day.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1954 on: September 01, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »
While opening the first dough and trying to toss it, the skin went over the overhead light and knocked my hat off.  :-D I don't even know how I managed to catch that skin if the video is watched in slow motion.

The second dough didn't go a lot better in tossing it, but at least it didn't go over the light.  My granddaughter said I am getting worse at tossing dough.  I agree.  :-[ At least the dough was strong and didn't tear.

Third video is of dressing the pizza and sliding it into the oven.

Norma

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #1955 on: September 02, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
Norma,

Pie's look great. Glad you posted the video of you dressing the pie, it gave me a chance to see better the consistency of your sauce. I will need to add more water to mine next time to pour the way your's did.

Chris

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1956 on: September 02, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
Nice videos Norma, it looks like you've done that a few times!
Hans

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1957 on: September 02, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »
Norma,

Pie's look great. Glad you posted the video of you dressing the pie, it gave me a chance to see better the consistency of your sauce. I will need to add more water to mine next time to pour the way your's did.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks!  I'm glad the video of dressing the pizza might help you with the sauce.  If you ever can get the Saporito heavy pizza sauce with fresh basil that makes a good pizza sauce when using the MAE method.  That sauce freezes well.  I used my regular pizza sauce and regular cheddar yesterday.  That pouring vessel is very cheap if you decide to use one.  If you want the link let me know.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1958 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »
Nice videos Norma, it looks like you've done that a few times!

Hans,

Thanks!  I am embarrassed that I really can't toss the skins well.  I have made those styles of pizzas for a long while. What I don't really understand is why the Mack's skins didn't have any fermentation bubbles in them, when they were fermented well.  Usually I can tell if I will like the crust taste if there are many fermentation bubbles in the skins after opening them.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1959 on: September 02, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
Chaz,

I guess if I had any desire to give Manco's a shot, it's  gone after this and other negative posts. A shame.

Chatting with the co-owner at MAruca's on Sunday, he was giving me a little history. Apparently there's some connection, family-wise between the Maruca family and the Mack family, and they started in the pizza business around the same time..about 60 years ago. So defnitely let's grab a Maruca's slice soon (not Mack's though!)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1960 on: September 02, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »

Chatting with the co-owner at MAruca's on Sunday, he was giving me a little history. Apparently there's some connection, family-wise between the Maruca family and the Mack family, and they started in the pizza business around the same time..about 60 years ago.

Bill,

I don't know if you saw what I posted at Reply 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38844.msg388769#msg388769  Did you notice if there was an all cheddar taste at Maruca's?  I think, but don't know, that since all of those tomato pies were first created in Trenton, NJ that is why Mack's, Manco & Manco and Maruca's used all cheddar at one time and also put that spiral swirl on their pies.  I posted another reply on the same thread at Reply 4 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38844.msg388746#msg388746

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1961 on: September 02, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
Thanks Norma..I don't recall if I saw those posts, but I was talking with owner (one of the twins) Joe at Maruca's..I've never been there when one (or both) of them haven't been there!

He confirmed All Trumps, and also told me that if he had total say, he wouldn't make pies as large as the 24 incher they make. Said that started when Travel Channel came to do their piece. He mentioned as if it werer "off-the-record" (but hey, I'm JPB , not the NY Times!) that a special "it" factor to their pies is the NJ Shore humidity (hmmm, not sure what Tom or Peter would think about that. ) But he said that the old wive's tale that it's the water source they use is sheer bunk, and that their new franchise in Florida has pies that taste identical to the original spot. As far as cheese, from my earliest visits to Maruca's which date well before my serious pizza time, back when I was just a guy who liked pizza, I had a theory  that they were sneaking some cheddar in there....and back then, I figured it was white cheddar so competitors didn't get the wiser. Probably was wrong about that second part , but I did know cheddar when I tasted it. Still do. However, can't comment whether it's all-cheddar, or some type of blend. It was really good, though, and the crust..my favorite part..had a very nice combination of light crispiness and light chewiness.  Also the dough is really strong because Joe was not being gentle---some serious dough-tossing going on there!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1962 on: September 02, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
Thanks Norma..I don't recall if I saw those posts, but I was talking with owner (one of the twins) Joe at Maruca's..I've never been there when one (or both) of them haven't been there!

He confirmed All Trumps, and also told me that if he had total say, he wouldn't make pies as large as the 24 incher they make. Said that started when Travel Channel came to do their piece. He mentioned as if it werer "off-the-record" (but hey, I'm JPB , not the NY Times!) that a special "it" factor to their pies is the NJ Shore humidity (hmmm, not sure what Tom or Peter would think about that. ) But he said that the old wive's tale that it's the water source they use is sheer bunk, and that their new franchise in Florida has pies that taste identical to the original spot. As far as cheese, from my earliest visits to Maruca's which date well before my serious pizza time, back when I was just a guy who liked pizza, I had a theory  that they were sneaking some cheddar in there....and back then, I figured it was white cheddar so competitors didn't get the wiser. Probably was wrong about that second part , but I did know cheddar when I tasted it. Still do. However, can't comment whether it's all-cheddar, or some type of blend. It was really good, though, and the crust..my favorite part..had a very nice combination of light crispiness and light chewiness.  Also the dough is really strong because Joe was not being gentle---some serious dough-tossing going on there!

Bill,

Thanks for telling us that Maruca's didn't start making 24” pizzas until the Travel Channel came to their place.  Thanks for your opinions if Maruca's uses some cheddar. 

If you look at ThatsATastyPizza's (Alexis) posts you can see him and his family also make Trenton style tomato pies with a cheddar base and sauce in a bull's eyed pattern on top of the cheddar.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16718.msg162963#msg162963 At Reply 2  Alexis says http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16718.msg162968#msg162968 they use extra sharp white cheddar from US Foods.  At Reply 4 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16718.msg162979#msg162979 Alexis said their pizzas are very similar to Maruca's.  You can see how they fermented their dough at that post.  I wish Alexis would have continued to post on the forum.

I never got to try a Maruca's pizza in Seaside Heights, but my daughter brought me home two slices of Maruca's pepperoni pizzas at Reply 149 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg270604#msg270604  I agree with Joe at Maruca's that the water theory is bunk as long as the water you use is okay.  I tried a test with NYC water against the normal bottled water I normally use on the preferment Lehmann dough thread and in the end the pizza crusts tasted the same when the pizzas were baked.

I think I am going to purchase a bag of All Trumps again to see what that does to my boardwalk style pizzas since I am adding old dough.  I can't exactly recall what All Trumps did before.  I wonder if I will have to up my hydration when trying All Trumps.

As far as humidity at the shore at Maruca's I don't think that matters a lot.  I also work in very humid conditions over the summer since market isn't air-conditioned.  If I add old doughs that are Detroit style doughs then my dough batches can be stickier.  I just ball with flour then and the dough balls are fine the next day.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1963 on: September 02, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »
Oh, close, so close on that dough info...Then Alexis just went away without leaving us the formula?! It sure would have been good to know. So, yes the slices you showed..maybe half the size of what they're selling now from their slice pies. One time I did get to try the whole pie there and it was even better than the slices. Joe told me another time that they do a 3-5 day ferment, which I would imagine is based on projected volume vs actual volume. Even though they're a boardwalk place, they're open year round and have an entrance on the street side when the boardwalk is deserted for the winter.

This is based on nothing except personal preference and to each his own, but the first time I used All-Trumps I was thinking it would be my last. I thought the texture was fine but while I can't describe it, I didn't care for the taste compared to my Pillsbury bread flour. So the remaining HG sat in the freezer for a few months before I decided to try something. While the first pass was a straight, but still multi-day ferment, this next time I used it in my more-or-less Scholl's dough ( very similar workflow but not to the letter since I'm not making a clone, just making some pizza that I hope will be really good)  The difference in flavor was night-and-day. I enjoyed every bite of the HG pie this way..good crispiness and chew... and at the moment, it's part of my regular rotation of dough. I've also mixed it in varying percentages with 00 flour and had results I've enjoyed with that also. Not sure it's as friendly to long fermentation with that addition (though, also I'm not sure it isn't.) 

Thanks Norma!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1964 on: Yesterday at 08:32:54 AM »
Bill,

Yep, Alexis just went away without posting any formulation.  I wonder how Maruca's could do a 3-5 day cold ferment.  They would need a really big walk-in, since they are so busy. 

Thanks for your thoughts on using All Trumps and what you tried. 

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1965 on: Yesterday at 08:48:38 AM »
Sure,  Norma...I will say that hia comment to me about 3-5 day dough was before the move to the new location where space is probably at more of a premium. I think, but am not sure, that at the original spot there was a basement for prep and storage...as you can imagine, Hurricane Sandy would have made short work of that.

Now they share space with a restaurant  called JR's. He told me that they'll probably stay there but are looking into the possibility of a move, again, to the newly rebuilt southern section of the boardwalk. I figured this information wasn't in close confidence since he openly shared it with me, a complete stranger who walked up to the counter for a slice. He wasn't familiar with our board by the way and was wondering just who these PM.com people are, credibility-wise. Then I dropped our Dough Doc's name. Bingo! Instant street (or boardwalk) cred! He was very familiar with and impressed by Tom's knowledge (If you're reading this, thanks Tom!)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1966 on: Yesterday at 09:22:51 AM »
Sure,  Norma...I will say that hia comment to me about 3-5 day dough was before the move to the new location where space is probably at more of a premium. I think, but am not sure, that at the original spot there was a basement for prep and storage...as you can imagine, Hurricane Sandy would have made short work of that.

Now they share space with a restaurant  called JR's. He told me that they'll probably stay there but are looking into the possibility of a move, again, to the newly rebuilt southern section of the boardwalk. I figured this information wasn't in close confidence since he openly shared it with me, a complete stranger who walked up to the counter for a slice. He wasn't familiar with our board by the way and was wondering just who these PM.com people are, credibility-wise. Then I dropped our Dough Doc's name. Bingo! Instant street (or boardwalk) cred! He was very familiar with and impressed by Tom's knowledge (If you're reading this, thanks Tom!)

Bill,

I don't know much about Maruca's and how much space they did have, or have now.  Thanks for telling us that Maruca's now shares a space with JR's.  I saw your post about the information Joe shared with you at your opening post at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39493.msg394456#msg394456 Thanks for the info!  Usually owners of pizzerias are not so open in telling much of anything about their pizzas.  Tom sure gets around and is a great asset to the forum.  :)

Norma

pizzapan