Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 319975 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2025 on: April 23, 2016, 07:58:34 AM »
NJ Boardwalk style.
I have that exact brand of Cheddar and I also have King Author's Bread Flour and Gold Medal Bread Flour.
My Norpro pourer is on it's way too.

I was going to use my cold fermented dough, but some genius set the fridge to freezing, dough registered at 28*F in the center.

Minolta Rokkor,

You really don't have to do a long cold ferment and the KABF will be okay to use.

A couple of links to look out when a good Mack's attempt were made starting at Reply 1919

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg393853#msg393853

Some mix ideas and sauce idea at Reply 1918 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg393676#msg393676

For the formulation try Peter's at Reply 307 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472

If there are other questions just ask.

Norma

Online Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #2026 on: April 23, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »
Wow, the formula is much different than I could of imagined, i'll try it out.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2027 on: April 23, 2016, 08:31:39 AM »
Minolta,

I haven't tried Norma's (yet) but her pies look great! Mack/Manco are from the same family as Maruca's, where I've been a devotee for quite a few summers. When I was just  beginning to make my own pizza, they were very helpful and suggested I use olive oil and  HG (I had no clue where I'd get that! Try finding it in a supermarket...they'll send you right to the gluten-free aisle! ??? )

And in later conversations, they told me they do a 3-5 day CF    Only once when I've been, was their pizza less-than-stellar..It was two seasons ago and while I know I'v gotten way pickier since home pie making , I thought now I've lost my taste for Maruca's..That was a bad feeling. But past season gave it another try and all was good...delicious in fact.

On final tip. Make your slices really big...and charge yourself 5 bucks each for plain!

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2028 on: April 23, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »
Minolta,

I haven't tried Norma's (yet) but her pies look great! Mack/Manco are from the same family as Maruca's, where I've been a devotee for quite a few summers. When I was just  beginning to make my own pizza, they were very helpful and suggested I use olive oil and  HG (I had no clue where I'd get that! Try finding it in a supermarket...they'll send you right to the gluten-free aisle! ??? )

And in later conversations, they told me they do a 3-5 day CF    Only once when I've been, was their pizza less-than-stellar..It was two seasons ago and while I know I'v gotten way pickier since home pie making , I thought now I've lost my taste for Maruca's..That was a bad feeling. But past season gave it another try and all was good...delicious in fact.

On final tip. Make your slices really big...and charge yourself 5 bucks each for plain!

Looks like I'll need a larger baking surface, 18"x18"x1" stone sounds expensive, but I. Might as well acquire one.
Speaking of pizza prices. I wish I could get a small business going like norma.
The more my hours are cut at work, the more I consider it.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2029 on: April 23, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
It's been many years since I lived in Va Beach, but we sure could've used you back in the mid to late 80's. For quite a while Domino's and PH were as good as it got (except for the Greek-style pizzas at Azalea Inn (they still around?) Eventually a couple from Queens, NY came in and opened a place called, maybe, Three Kings? (it's been a while, memory fades) off Witchduck, I think. Real NY pizzas...thankfully!

Will an 18 square stone fit in your oven and still let the door close? Big oven!

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2030 on: April 23, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
It's been many years since I lived in Va Beach, but we sure could've used you back in the mid to late 80's. For quite a while Domino's and PH were as good as it got (except for the Greek-style pizzas at Azalea Inn (they still around?) Eventually a couple from Queens, NY came in and opened a place called, maybe, Three Kings? (it's been a while, memory fades) off Witchduck, I think. Real NY pizzas...thankfully!

Will an 18 square stone fit in your oven and still let the door close? Big oven!
I made a 18 1/2"x18 1/2" template
It fit,, so the stone should fit as well. I'm lucky, I LOVE my oven.

I'll have to visit those places and others once I get the chance.
I think once I get my Blackstone, I'll start a lil side business.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2031 on: April 23, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »
That's be great...Looks like the Three Kings i no more, Azalea Inn may or may not be the same as it was..now it seems to be a sports bar with pizza and Greek food..so no promises of how good it is 30 years later   :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2032 on: April 23, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »
Wow, the formula is much different than I could of imagined, i'll try it out.

The dough formulation Peter set-forth is very good, in that it is a good spinning and tossing dough.  The final crust tasted good.

I don't know if you recall the video I referenced you to at 1990 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg404976#msg404976 in showing how much cheese and sauce to apply.  I think Mack's applies more cheese than I do. 

If you want to make a smaller Mack's pizza it can be seen at Reply 1330 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg206575#msg206575 that I did make a 14 attempt.  That attempt was before Trenton Bill told me about the Norpro pouring pitcher.

To tell the truth I am not as fond about Mack's pies as I used to be.  The last time I was at Mack's either my taste buds changed, or maybe I like my own pizzas better now since I learned more about making dough.  I still like Mack's cheese and sauce a lot.

If you are interested in a boardwalk style pizza in the Blackstone at Reply 686 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg323036#msg323036 is where I tried one with lard in the dough formulation.

Norma

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2033 on: April 27, 2016, 03:48:02 AM »
I'm gonna do a 60ish hour room temp ferment for the NJ board walk pizza.
Just waiting on that 20g scale.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2034 on: April 27, 2016, 04:55:08 AM »
60 hr RT?

Pretty sure the longest actual Boardwalk places is a 3-5 day CF..Maruca's told me that's what they do...not sure about others.  Though maybe of course, you're not trying to follow their workflow, in which case, Sorry :-[

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2035 on: April 27, 2016, 05:28:05 AM »
I would do a head to head comparison, but I want pizza immediately.
I'll try out the CF later.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2036 on: April 27, 2016, 06:12:28 AM »
Save me a slice :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2037 on: April 27, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »
I would be hard pressed to believe that most of the boardwalk pizzerias use much more than a one day cold ferment.  For one thing space is at a premium at different boardwalk pizzerias and their spaces sure aren't cheap.  The second thing is that the popular ones sell many pizzas in a day.  I couldn't imagine what size of walk-ins they would need to do that and store all of the other things that need refrigerated. 

I once heard Mack & Mancos used an off-site place and froze their dough balls.  I don't know how true that was.

Norma

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2038 on: April 27, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »

Seems like one day is the standard..if that..for a lot of pizza places, at least near me in NJ. The Maruca's brothers are pretty serious about their product and having had a enough times, I believe they're an exception I also think, thinking of it now, that the slice I had there early last season that I thought was way below their usual quality, was probably from a same-day batch. Good cheese and sauce, flavorless crust

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2039 on: April 27, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
Save me a slice :)

I would be hard pressed to believe that most of the boardwalk pizzerias use much more than a one day cold ferment.  For one thing space is at a premium at different boardwalk pizzerias and their spaces sure aren't cheap.  The second thing is that the popular ones sell many pizzas in a day.  I couldn't imagine what size of walk-ins they would need to do that and store all of the other things that need refrigerated. 

I once heard Mack & Mancos used an off-site place and froze their dough balls.  I don't know how true that was.

Norma
Jersey, i'll be sure to post picsI I just want to expand and show people how godly homemade artisanal pizza can be.
Once I acquire a blackstone it's game on and the crusade begins.
When I pretty much bragged about how good my pizza was, then exceeded expectations. I knew I had the ability to make an impression.

Norma
I would like overhaul the pizza dough recipe,  at my job.

To give you an idea, if people of the pizza making forum were served to this stuff, they'd feel disrespected.
They actually work with sourdough, so i'm sure, we could pull something off, maybe.

I'll change something for the better.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2040 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

Edit to below: Re-reading Minolta's original post, I think my reply is a misunderstanding...sorry. Am I correct in understanding that MR is a professional at a restaurant that serves pizza, and that's the recipe he wishes to change?   I was thinking, as is apparent by my post below, that he was referring to changing boardwalk pizza. When I'm wrong, I own up. Okay, duh, I was wrong.

Okay, well if you're gonna change the boardwalk, you're gonna needs tattoos. Lots of 'em.  :-D

Seriously, better go have a slice of Norma's and a slice of Maruca's and see what's the best out there...I'm pretty much (totally and unbearably and annoyingly) picky these days...and I think it's really good (Maruca's so far..Norma's I hope to try before long!)

With the reality of the boardwalk, I think sourdough is not a reasonable choice, if that's what you're suggesting...and to my taste, at least so far, I'm not sure it's better, or even as good as, baker's yeast for NY style pies (of which boardwalk is a sub--category)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:26:22 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2041 on: April 27, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
Edit to below: Re-reading Minolta's original post, I think my reply is a misunderstanding...sorry. Am I correct in understanding that MR is a professional at a restaurant that serves pizza, and that's the recipe he wishes to change?   I was thinking, as is apparent by my post below, that he was referring to changing boardwalk pizza. When I'm wrong, I own up. Okay, duh, I was wrong.

Okay, well if you're gonna change the boardwalk, you're gonna needs tattoos. Lots of 'em.  :-D

Seriously, better go have a slice of Norma's and a slice of Maruca's and see what's the best out there...I'm pretty much (totally and unbearably and annoyingly) picky these days...and I think it's really good (Maruca's so far..Norma's I hope to try before long!)

With the reality of the boardwalk, I think sourdough is not a reasonable choice, if that's what you're suggesting...and to my taste, at least so far, I'm not sure it's better, or even as good as, baker's yeast for NY style pies (of which boardwalk is a sub--category)
Oh, i'm talking about some crappy theme park restaurant I work at, not MY restaurant.

Anyways, my 20g jewelryscale came in, only to become unusable upon opening. It's broken, so i'm sending it back.

I'm tired of these garbage made in china pos jewelry scales. 

I just purchased a Vintage precision scale with a 3 gram max load.

I'll make two  batches, one room temp, the other a 5 day CF, starting....NOW!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2042 on: April 27, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
Jersey, i'll be sure to post picsI I just want to expand and show people how godly homemade artisanal pizza can be.
Once I acquire a blackstone it's game on and the crusade begins.
When I pretty much bragged about how good my pizza was, then exceeded expectations. I knew I had the ability to make an impression.

Norma
I would like overhaul the pizza dough recipe,  at my job.

To give you an idea, if people of the pizza making forum were served to this stuff, they'd feel disrespected.
They actually work with sourdough, so i'm sure, we could pull something off, maybe.

I'll change something for the better.

Minolta Rokkor,

It's good to hear you would like to makes changes to the dough recipe at your job.  You can use sourdough with IDY, but it is a little tricky to know what to try. I did experiment with the Ischia starter with IDY in my normal pizzas at market.  The pizzas became better, but I couldn't get enough crisp on the bottom crust.  You probably will have more luck with your Blackstone because the temperatures are higher. Look at some members posts where they use sourdough and IDY. 

I kinda know what you mean about doughs supposedly using sourdough not tasting the best in the crusts.  I thought I would really like a pizzerias pizzas in NYC that used a natural yeast, but in my opinion the crust tasted not good.
Hope you can change things for the better!

Norma

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2043 on: Today at 11:48:55 AM »
My New Jersey boardwalk dough balls are coming along nicely.
I'm just waiting to see activity again.

I'll give them 48 to 60 hours, maybe even 74.
We'll see

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2044 on: Today at 12:06:03 PM »
Are these being done in your new wine fridge?

Online Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2045 on: Today at 12:10:55 PM »
Are these being done in your new wine fridge?
At first yeah, probably the first few hours, but when my first batch had literally almost no activity.
I took it out and let it sit in my upstairs room, which was 75 to 81.

I'll have to tweak the formula before I can effectively use it. I'll just double the yeast.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:12:47 PM by Minolta Rokkor »