Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 226184 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #1875 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: August 21, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
If anyone is interested in watching Wildwood's Pizza Tour of 2014 this is the video, and where it was posted.  There were 23 different pizzerias tried in Wildwood, NJ  I really like the one reviewers comment that the cheese at Mack's pizza is what made Mack's pizza taste great.  ;D  I think I have found the same thing from using a simliar cheese at my small pizza stand.  That sure was a long journey in finding the right cheese to use on my boardwalk style pizzas, but I “stayed the course”.  :-D

http://www.bit.ly/wildwoodpizzatour2014

Norma

Offline gfgman

« Reply #1877 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
If I were going to make a boardwalk pizza, I would probably go down the Mac's road just to make something different, and because a lot of people associate that taste with Boardwalk pizza.  However, if I get back to OC or Wildwood at some point, I'll be going elsewhere.  Maybe my tastes have changed, or maybe it's because I grew up at the shore with so many good Italian pizza shops around, and, going to the boardwalk and eating a lot of non Mack's Pizza.  For me, a good NY Style slice and a boardwalk slice are the same.  I see no difference between Joe's on Carmine Street, and some of the best pizza on Boardwalk. 
I do recall liking Maruca's way back when, but the Sawmill was definitely better.  I used to drive an ice cream truck, and I stopped at Maruca's off boardwalk location a lot.  I thought it was good, and I was fascinated by the process.  I think at some point they tried to make themselves into a chain, and they opened more locations.  I tried a slice a few years ago and it was awful. 
I remember trying Mac and Manco's many years ago and liking it.  I tried it a few years ago, and it was just alright.  It wasn't as crispy as I remembered it, and the cheese blend didn't do anything for me.  I went a couple doors down to Three Brothers from Italy and got one of their monster slices.  That was spot on for me.  Really one of the best slices I've had. 
There's a place here in Harrisburg that does a NY style, and think the brothers that own it are from NYC.  They do other stuff also, like Pan, Grandma, Pittsburgh, White Holiday, German, BBQ, steak, etc.  But, on their plain pie, they use a cheese blend that I would say is similar to Mac's.  They've changed suppliers, so the cheese isn't quite as good as what they used to use, but it's still good.  I said I didn't care for the cheese blend, but their NY style crust is so good, that it's really a quite tasty product. 
I haven't been there in awhile though.  I like Galbani cheese from the grocery store, but, like I said, whatever they are using, it's not as good as their previous cheese.  They also added some new staff that I assume to be relatives.  Since they came on board, there's been a noticeable downgrade in quality, and the prices went up.   

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1878 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
Is there a current thread discussing the recent clone recipe for the Macks pizza? I can't seem to find it? Thanks everyone.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1879 on: September 11, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
If I were going to make a boardwalk pizza, I would probably go down the Mac's road just to make something different, and because a lot of people associate that taste with Boardwalk pizza.  However, if I get back to OC or Wildwood at some point, I'll be going elsewhere.  Maybe my tastes have changed, or maybe it's because I grew up at the shore with so many good Italian pizza shops around, and, going to the boardwalk and eating a lot of non Mack's Pizza.  For me, a good NY Style slice and a boardwalk slice are the same.  I see no difference between Joe's on Carmine Street, and some of the best pizza on Boardwalk. 
I do recall liking Maruca's way back when, but the Sawmill was definitely better.  I used to drive an ice cream truck, and I stopped at Maruca's off boardwalk location a lot.  I thought it was good, and I was fascinated by the process.  I think at some point they tried to make themselves into a chain, and they opened more locations.  I tried a slice a few years ago and it was awful. 
I remember trying Mac and Manco's many years ago and liking it.  I tried it a few years ago, and it was just alright.  It wasn't as crispy as I remembered it, and the cheese blend didn't do anything for me.  I went a couple doors down to Three Brothers from Italy and got one of their monster slices.  That was spot on for me.  Really one of the best slices I've had. 
There's a place here in Harrisburg that does a NY style, and think the brothers that own it are from NYC.  They do other stuff also, like Pan, Grandma, Pittsburgh, White Holiday, German, BBQ, steak, etc.  But, on their plain pie, they use a cheese blend that I would say is similar to Mac's.  They've changed suppliers, so the cheese isn't quite as good as what they used to use, but it's still good.  I said I didn't care for the cheese blend, but their NY style crust is so good, that it's really a quite tasty product. 
I haven't been there in awhile though.  I like Galbani cheese from the grocery store, but, like I said, whatever they are using, it's not as good as their previous cheese.  They also added some new staff that I assume to be relatives.  Since they came on board, there's been a noticeable downgrade in quality, and the prices went up.   
I can hardly figure out what you are trying to say....first paragraph is a complete contradiction...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1880 on: September 11, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Is there a current thread discussing the recent clone recipe for the Macks pizza? I can't seem to find it? Thanks everyone.

Marty,

There is not a current thread that discusses the Mack's clone.  If you want some formulations for a dough to try I can give you one.  Do you know that Mack's puts their sauce on in a spiral pattern and they also use cheddar as the cheese?

Norma

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1881 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
No I didn't. I'm surprised they use cheddar though. If you have any rough formulation I would like to try it though. The learning curve is a LOT longer for making good pizza then I ever imagined!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1882 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
No I didn't. I'm surprised they use cheddar though. If you have any rough formulation I would like to try it though. The learning curve is a LOT longer for making good pizza then I ever imagined!

Marty,

The formulation I am using right now is at Reply 812 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg332147#msg332147 (fourth photo down).  If you decide to try it for a one day cold ferment the yeast amount might need to go up.  The reason I say that is because where I make the dough this time of year is very warm.  I use GM Full Strength flour.  If you want one of Peter's formulations with KABF and vital wheat gluten I can find you some of them.  I used mild white cheddar on all of my boardwalk style pizzas and my Detroit style pizzas.  I put the sauce on in a spiral pattern too.  At Reply 828 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg334029#msg334029 you can see what my boardwalk style pizzas look like.

The learning curve is pretty steep for making good pizzas.  I have been learning how to make different pizzas for over 5 years and still have much more to learn.  :-D Maybe you might want the recipe, or formulation for a NY style pizza that Peter usually directs new people that are just learning to make pizzas.

Norma

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1883 on: September 12, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
If your talking about the basic Lehman recipe I have that, but if not could you give me a link to that also? Thanks again Norma.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1884 on: September 12, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »
If your talking about the basic Lehman recipe I have that, but if not could you give me a link to that also? Thanks again Norma.

Marty,

I don't know if you read the whole thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2223.msg19503#msg19503   Peter gives a lot of good information in that thread for new pizza makers.  At Reply 8 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2223.msg19563#msg19563 is a good place to start.

Best of luck in your pizza making adventures.

Norma

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1885 on: September 13, 2014, 10:55:52 PM »
Great link! Thanks again Norma.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1886 on: May 17, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »
Mack's pizza from Wildwood today.  I won't reheat until tomorrow.  I like the looks of the browner bottom crust.  Great-granddaughter on the beach in Wildwood today.  Time flies by fast. 

Norma