Author Topic: The Definitive Blackstone Pizzas thread!  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

The Definitive Blackstone Pizzas thread!
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
There seems to be interest among some members for a separate thread dedicated to BS pizzas.   I propose this be that thread.   ;)

I'll start with the first submission...

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: The Definitive Blackstone Pizzas thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Made a Sicillian Square tonight.  I baked this on the steel plate without the stone.   Loaded it at 650f and baked it for 13m.  I little too long.  I need to start checking it at 11m next time.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:31:39 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
Looks delicious Chau.  I was toying with the idea of a 'Blackstone Fail' thread where we could post pictures of the not-so-great pies coming out of the BS oven.  Maybe we can post a few 'fail' photos here as well.  I just had one last night where I wrapped the pizza around itself as I launched it. I just left it and took it out with a spatula and it was actually darn good. Kind of calzone-ish. 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »
Chau,  deep dish pizzas are round,  as you know.  That is a DS pizza.  -Marc

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
Absolutely Tin.  Anyone can post any of their pies, success and failures alike.   Lol Marc.   I changed it to Sicillian Square.  Thanks for catching that.  I was in a hurry to get that posted.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:40:35 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
Chau,  deep dish pizzas are round,  as you know.  That is a DS pizza.  -Marc

Unless you're Little Ceasar.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:51 AM »
Or Hungry Howie's: http://www.hungryhowies.com/

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Finally got around to buying some fresh flour today so I had to do a test bake right away.   ;D.  Bought a bag of Con Angra Occident Spring Patent flour to try.   This is a 5 hour dough.  Made 2 pies.   First one was baked at 750f floor temp and 2m30s.  Very tender like a NP pie but dark because of the malt. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
2nd crust was baked longer at 5m30s.   This flour made a fantastic NY crust.   The slices (without cheese) stood staight out.  The bottom was very crispy like pizza town's crust.  This flour is versatile but makes a better NY crust than a neo-neapolitan pie.  Definitely can't use it for NP.  :-\

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.  The bottom crust looked phenomenal in person

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:12:21 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline italdream

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 06:35:57 AM »
Made a Sicillian Square tonight.  I baked this on the steel plate without the stone.   Loaded it at 650f and baked it for 13m.  I little too long.  I need to start checking it at 11m next time.
Chau, that Sicilian looks phenomenal. If you don't mind me asking, what was your dough recipe and technique?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »
Thanks Italdream.  The mix and dough was a bit experimental, but I will post what  I did.

Bread Flour 100%
Water 68% (You might want to use 66%)
Starter 20% (optional)
IDY 0.6%
Salt 2%
Oil 3%

Water + Starter + IDY + salt + 75% of the Flour.   Mix about 1 min to incorporate ingredients.  Rest for 15min.  Mix in Kitchen aid at speed 4 for 10min or so until the dough almost pulls freely from the bottom.  Dump in the remaining 25% of the flour and oil, and mix on speed 1 for 2-3mins.   Ball gently and place in an oil container.

Allow to rise at room temps until about 50% risen.  (half of doubled).  Spread out into oil pan.  I use Butter flavored Crisco to oil the pan.   I knock the air out in the pan as I am stretching it.   Allow to rest for 10-15m, and push dough out again to the corners if needed.  Then into fridge for a cold ferment 24-48 hours.  Take out 2-3 hours prior to baking.   Allow it to proof up well.   You can also knock the dough down with your finger tips one more time if you need to. 

If you bake it in the Blackstone oven, you need to cover the top with aluminum foil for the first 75% of the bake.  So 8min of the 12min.  Uncover towards the end of the bake.   

Chau

Offline italdream

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »
Very good. Thanks. I will give it a try as soon as my calorie budget allows it. About the bottom, do you have any idea to avoid the bottom charring. I would like it. But in case do you think that it just cooked an extra minute or there is something that could be done.

Anyway, beautiful pizza which shows the versatility of the BS as well as your skills. Thanks...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
I think a minute less and you will be fine.   I would starting around the 8 minute mark, pull the pan out and check the bottom.  I would check it every 1-2 minutes after that until you can get a feel for the particular dough in that oven at a particular setting. 

2 tips for a crispy bottom when making Sicillian pan.   If you are baking on the stone, you can pull the pizza out of the pan and leave it on the hot stone to finish browning.   I have also pull the pizza out of the pan and put it in my counter top oven to cool.  Then retoast for just a few minutes to make the bottom extra crispy!   :drool:

Offline redox

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
This thread seems like a great idea, here is my NY style attempt. I don't know why the cheese browned so much, it was my first time using GFS mozzarella and I was in the 700-750 range. Baked in 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, I think. If this is too many pics let me know and I'll post the extras in a new thread from now on.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »

If you bake it in the Blackstone oven, you need to cover the top with aluminum foil for the first 75% of the bake.  So 8min of the 12min.  Uncover towards the end of the bake.   

That answered my question. Again, great looking pie!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »
This thread seems like a great idea, here is my NY style attempt. I don't know why the cheese browned so much, it was my first time using GFS mozzarella and I was in the 700-750 range. Baked in 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, I think. If this is too many pics let me know and I'll post the extras in a new thread from now on.

I don't think you can post too many pics of such tasty pies? :) Were those cooked with the chauflector?

Thanks,
jb

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
I agree.   Nice job redox.  ;)

Offline redox

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »
I don't think you can post too many pics of such tasty pies? :) Were those cooked with the chauflector?

Thanks,
jb
Nope, my BS is stock, except for the thrust bearing. My rotating panel is 3/4-inch in height. It's just the height it happened to be after I installed the bearing. Seems to work just fine for me so far.

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »
I agree.   Nice job redox.  ;)
I've seen your pizzas so that means something, thanks.  :)

Offline jcovey713

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 03:23:58 AM »
I just got my BS on Tuesday. I made up some dough last night and launched three NP pies tonight. These were my first ever NPs and my first time on the BS (with Chauflector), so I know I have a lot to learn, but you are all the best to learn from. Fire away :)

100% Caputo Pizzeria
63% Water
0.03% IDY
2.73% Salt

I did Jeff Varasanos mixing technique and did a cold ball ferment for about 22 hours. These turned out a tad small in my mind. But very tasty! Because I am trying to lose weight, I only took a couple of bites from my pies tonight (gotta wait for Saturday), so I used tomato sauce as my sauce. Fresh mozzarella from Trader Joes. 

A few questions...

1) It was difficult to stretch this wet of dough without making the center extremely thin. Any tips?

2) Am I looking for a more chewy crust or more airy? Mine was definitely on the more chewy side. It was very good, but just wondering what the standard is. Maybe I overworked it while stretching it out. There seemed to be so little IDY, is 0.03% a reasonable amount?

3) I noticed after about 10 mins of sitting on the counter after coming out of the oven, the crusts started to shrivel. Is this normal?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

Jason
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:31:27 AM by jcovey713 »