Author Topic: The Definitive Blackstone Pizzas thread!  (Read 9695 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: The Definitive Blackstone Pizzas thread!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »
Here's a couple shot from this afternoon's bake.
Getting closer.

I wouldn't eat those pies, the crumb is too light and airy.  Otherwise that Sanyo seems to put out a nice pie. ;D
Dave
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:02:37 AM by Tampa »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
I love that it's so quick to start this oven up to bake just a couple pizzas.  Working on some dessert pizzas.  Only wanted to make them, not eat them, I had a very happy neighbor. 

1) smores
2) marscapone mixed with valhrona cocoa and a little sugar, sour cherry spread and homemade chocolate syrup  (not pretty but pretty tasty, picture is all washed out, that is not how the crust looked)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
Ill take a couple of slices of that 2nd one deb.  :drool:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »
NY/coal style pie.  I made this dough for a 16" pie for a home gas oven but ended up baking it in the BS.  Had to understretch it a bit but it still came out purdy good.  Pie baked right at 4m.   Last pic is me fooling around with an extra dough ball.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
I love that it's so quick to start this oven up to bake just a couple pizzas.  Working on some dessert pizzas.  Only wanted to make them, not eat them, I had a very happy neighbor. 

1) smores
2) marscapone mixed with valhrona cocoa and a little sugar, sour cherry spread and homemade chocolate syrup  (not pretty but pretty tasty, picture is all washed out, that is not how the crust looked)

Love that Smores idea.  We are planning a community pizza party in a few weeks with little kids all over the place.  Thx
Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »
NY/coal style pie.  I made this dough for a 16" pie for a home gas oven but ended up baking it in the BS.  Had to understretch it a bit but it still came out purdy good.  Pie baked right at 4m.   Last pic is me fooling around with an extra dough ball.

JT, your pies all look the same to me .... better than mine.  I do love that shot of dough as a wardrobe accessory.
dave

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
Love that Smores idea.  We are planning a community pizza party in a few weeks with little kids all over the place.  Thx
Dave

I baked the dough alone, pulled it spread the choc chips and marshmallows and sprinkled some graham crackers crumbs mixed with melted butter.  put it back in on low (you want NO flame , trust me, marshmallow on fire in your blackstone is pretty but .....) It takes seconds! for the marshmallow to brown and the chocolate to melt (it keeps it shape)

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
Last pic is me fooling around with an extra dough ball.

What hydration is that Chau?

Josh

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
Dave that is 320gm of dough stretched to  ???

JD, hydration is 69%.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
Wow, that's a strong dough... nice work.
Josh

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
I baked the dough alone, pulled it spread the choc chips and marshmallows and sprinkled some graham crackers crumbs mixed with melted butter.  put it back in on low (you want NO flame , trust me, marshmallow on fire in your blackstone is pretty but .....) It takes seconds! for the marshmallow to brown and the chocolate to melt (it keeps it shape)
Thanks Deb.  I wouldn't have picked up the finer points and nobody wants to get sideways with those kids.
dave

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
My kids are always bugging me about what the Chef Boyardee Pizza Kits taste like.  So I figured I would break in the Blackstone by making good old box pizza dough.  (Is this a first?)

The box pizza kit is about 65% hydration, it made 2 appx 12oz dough balls.  They were balled and put in the fridge for 24 hours.  I pulled them out about 1.5 hours before baking.  Topped with all store bought toppings, nothing commercial.  Boars Head whole milk mozz, provolone, romano from the pizza kit, sauce from the pizza kit, Boars Head pep's. 

The Blackstone oven is fantastic.  Baked at 750 degrees.   I'll bake from scratch later in the week, but for now this was a fun experiment for the kids and I.

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
Chau, your killing me lately with your pics.  That NY/coal pie looks good.  Inspiring.  I want to work on a New Haven clone with the Blackstone in the coming weeks.  I've got some GM Full Strength and Cento's ready to roll.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
My kids are always bugging me about what the Chef Boyardee Pizza Kits taste like.  So I figured I would break in the Blackstone by making good old box pizza dough.  (Is this a first?)

The box pizza kit is about 65% hydration, it made 2 appx 12oz dough balls.  They were balled and put in the fridge for 24 hours.  I pulled them out about 1.5 hours before baking.  Topped with all store bought toppings, nothing commercial.  Boars Head whole milk mozz, provolone, romano from the pizza kit, sauce from the pizza kit, Boars Head pep's. 

The Blackstone oven is fantastic.  Baked at 750 degrees.   I'll bake from scratch later in the week, but for now this was a fun experiment for the kids and I.
You have boldly gone where no man has gone before...and even lived to tell about it!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »
I want to work on a New Haven clone with the Blackstone in the coming weeks.  I've got some GM Full Strength and Cento's ready to roll.

That sounds like my recipe.  If it is, based upon new knowledge acquired from our recent NH tour, I'm tweaking it a bit. While we have members that have seen the ROA1 can code tomatoes at Pepe's, it's public knowledge that they source ingredients based on price and that everything can and does vary.  The tomatoes on the pizzas we had weren't the Cento Italian's.  They were a bit better. At one point they might have been using Centos, but they don't appear to be using them now. The Centos are good tomatoes, but they're more subtly flavored like San Marzano's.

I'm still settling in on a brand, but if you have access to something with more flavor, like a 6-in-1 or a Stanislaus, I would try those as well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:42:04 PM by scott123 »

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »

I'm still settling in on a brand, but if you have access to something with more flavor, like a 6-in-1 or a Stanislaus, I would try those as well.

Interesting, thanks for the intel Scott.  Let me know what you end up settling in with, I'm curious.

I made a few pizzas with your dough recipe today for lunch on the Blackstone.  These were using the GM Full Strength flour at 58% hydration, 280g balls, stretched to about 12.5 inches.  Boars Head whole milk slices, dollops of Cento sauce, sprinkled with fresh parm & oregano.  Baked at a steady 775 degrees for exactly 2 minutes. 

They reminded me more of a coal oven style Grimaldi's or even Totonno's in flavor and texture (if not appearance   :D)

scott123

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
They reminded me more of a coal oven style Grimaldi's or even Totonno's in flavor and texture (if not appearance   :D)

Zane, if, as one of the country's foremost Detroit style pizza makers, you feel more comfortable going cheese under sauce, who am I to tell you otherwise?  :-D

Seriously, though, that looks great.  You're giving off a Mark (Communist) cheese under sauce vibe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12887.msg265365.html#msg265365

I spoke to Frank (Polishpizza) about tomatoes and he's heard that Modern uses either 6-in-1s or Tomato Magic.  I still have to do some testing of my own, but, right now, I'm leaning towards Tomato Magic.

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
Zane, if, as one of the country's foremost Detroit style pizza makers, you feel more comfortable going cheese under sauce, who am I to tell you otherwise?  :-D

Seriously, though, that looks great.  You're giving off a Mark (Communist) cheese under sauce vibe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12887.msg265365.html#msg265365

I spoke to Frank (Polishpizza) about tomatoes and he's heard that Modern uses either 6-in-1s or Tomato Magic.  I still have to do some testing of my own, but, right now, I'm leaning towards Tomato Magic.

I am an equal opportunity pizza eater & maker!  ;D   I am always tinkering like the rest of you guys & gals and I really draw a lot of energy from watching & reading these forums.   I am rusty as can be on anything other than Detroit Style right now, getting a Blackstone is going to force me to step up my game. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
Thank you Dave and Zane for the nice word.  Zane that crumb looks nice and light to me.  Nice work.

Chau

Offline deloscobos

• Instagram
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
Hi everybody,

I did this ones last weekend. They looked better than they tasted. I used Caputo Pizzeria, 62% hydration, .6% ADY and 2.7% salt, Cold fermented 12 hrs bulk and about 10 balled.  Blackstone at 780 degrees. I liked the texture of the cooked dough but it was a little "insipid", flavorless.

#1 and #2 are tomato sauce, ricotta and basil pesto.
#3 is just mozzarella, pecorino, cherry tomatoes and anchovies.