Author Topic: What are Neapolitan pizzas really supposed to look like when made in a WFO  (Read 4630 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 no, i did not eat at keste or don antonio. after starting a 7 am and working till lunch service i wanted to hook up with my family. we hit  nicoletta, motorino, artichoke basil, and luzzo's i did not get a certificate at this time i am still only pm.com certified,still short on hours. in the neapolitan catogory luzzo's was quite delicious. 
  i know coppertop is finishing up within the next two weeks i want to hear her take. she may but heads I'm not sure.

Offline scott123

Larry, if anyone doesn't need a certificate, it's you.  Just saying  ;D

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
 ^^^

Online TXCraig1

luzzo's was quite delicious. 

Luzzo's was my favorite pizza in NYC for a long time.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
norma after spending a few days at don antonio's in nyc  last week . i was told that the style of Neapolitan i make is American style. most of this is because of the way i stretch my dough.  the cooking method that they use produces a pizza that is not overly charred. all of the pies are pulled from the oven and turned in the mouth or shelf so as not to over bake them. they were shocked when i told them i cooked multiple pizzas and after pulling one out i replaced it with another. they do three to four at a time then do the next three to four pies.i have never been scolded som much as i was during my visit with roberto and hid dynamo of a daughter georgia!!

Larry,

Thanks for telling me that after spending a couple of days at Don Antonio's that you were told that the style of Neapolitan pizza you make is American style.  That sounds weird to me.  What is wrong with the way you stretch your doughs?  I watched Roberto stretch doughs on two different occasions and the only thing I saw was that the dough balls were highly fermented and he was careful in stretching them.  I can understand the baking method might be different.  Georgia sure must be a dynamo. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma, it really depends on if a person is Italian or not.  If you are then , it doesn't matter what the pizza looks like, it's just automatically better.   ::)

Chau,

Do you think we ever will make the cut since we are not Italian's?   :-D

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

Lol Norma.  I've gotten pretty good at comparing the look of a crust and its associated textures.  Let's just say I would be suprise to find out that commercial pizzaiolos are as passionate about pizza and spend as much time perfecting pizza as some of our members here.  And as Larry has said in the past, the only thing the Italian establishments over us is the cheese.  I am positive I will agree with that once I've gotten a chance to visit Naples.

Chau

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Lol Norma.  I've gotten pretty good at comparing the look of a crust and its associated textures.  Let's just say I would be suprise to find out that commercial pizzaiolos are as passionate about pizza and spend as much time perfecting pizza as some of our members here.  And as Larry has said in the past, the only thing the Italian establishments over us is the cheese.  I am positive I will agree with that once I've gotten a chance to visit Naples.

Chau

Chau,

I think I would be surprised also to find out that commercial pizza pizzaiolos are as passionate and spend as much perfecting pizza as some of the members here do.  Do let us know about the pizzas if you can ever visit Naples.
These are a few more photos.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
This a video shared on facebook by Luigi Savino

Pizza Masse' (Created with Magisto)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5_NyGA_3E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5_NyGA_3E</a>

Luigi Savino also has other different pizza videos on YouTube, this being one of them.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8H690s5rM&amp;list=UU_zqh5oYFCUxSgiTIlTJFeg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8H690s5rM&amp;list=UU_zqh5oYFCUxSgiTIlTJFeg</a>

Norma
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:12:15 PM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Certainly not an NP afficianado, but I think many of these pies look like pies I've seen here.
That's what I thought....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

Why are there so many pictures that don't work in this thread?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Why are there so many pictures that don't work in this thread?

Craig,

I think that is my fault.   :-[  When I first started posting photos from ones I downloaded I got mixed up on which ones I posted.  I started deleting photos as soon as I hit the choose file button in my last few replies.  I can delete the last ones that I tried to post, but will have to hunt for the ones that I deleted if you are anyone else wants to see them. 

Just let me know if you want to see more.  Sorry after that, but I didn't realize when I was deleting those photos they then wouldn't upload.  I can only delete the photos that were posted from the last day.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:13:29 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: What are Neapolitan pizzas really supposed to look like when made in a WFO
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »

This is a video shared on YouTube by Louis Savino of Pizza Expo 2013.  I saw this it on facebook.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mr9vYc2X4M" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mr9vYc2X4M</a>

This is the translation what is says about the video by Google.

Mother's Pizza? No! Pizza Expo Salerno Salerno was born in the first showcase dedicated to the territory where space will find all the typical features that characterize The pizza is the starting point, unmistakable emblem of a tradition that aims to show the whole southern and disclose all the uniqueness of the land that hosts us .So the intention of putting up a show, one exhibition place for tasting and one of the most renowned, recognized and imitated has given way to the desire to provide an opportunity to all the sights, not just purely aesthetic, this territory . The result is that Salerno Pizza Expo is characterized as a windows firmly rooted in the province of Salerno in the context of which all made ​​in Salerno, it has to do with food and drink, art, innovation, craftsmanship, can find the value it deserves because with Pizza Expo Salerno was born a format, not a simple event, which wants to impose on the national and international conscious of the enormous potential that this land and its actors, and offer them a way through maximization to communicate and propose completely new, away from preconceived ideas that almost never fail to return the uniqueness of the real stars of the real exposure of salernitanit. The event, sponsored "Rivendesi", from an idea of the association "Art School Pizza Makers "will be held in Salerno September 25 to 29 at the Mercatello Park, in the eastern part of the city on an exhibition space of more than 100 thousand square meters designed specifically to ensure that exhibitors / partners and participants the best possible showcase to promote disparate activities and those who want to live this unique experience the best possible condition to spend an evening in harmony characterized by feeding high quality but also in the show and entertainment. Therefore also an event designed for children (to them is dedicated Salerno area managed by the leading child) much to imagine them a coupon for free pizza also in line with the current economic situation not easy to purpose of ensuring that all an evening of fun, food and a lot of news. every evening on the stage of the festival there will be many guests with their performances will embellish a manifestation certainly unique. Great attention has also been devoted to entertainment, beyond the big names and the space that will be dedicated to emerging local art scene, an example can be represented by the fires where classical musical pyrotechnics pyrotechnics combine with carefully selected music to offer guests a show-encompassing and never seen before Salerno Pizza Expo.A great news all born from the ingenuity of Salerno Amodio Curci, jumped to the headlines hired for parties and more thanks to its sensational invention. It will greatly impact the launch event: a real marketing campaign worthy of launches lively and cosmopolitan of the great cities of the worlds will also Salerno. Beyond the rectory and timely communication will be three stages of the launching of the event. The first will be a flashmob involving hundreds of people in one of the most famous squares of the city of Salerno, where the only undisputed protagonist is the pizza. Dance, gifts and lots of fun with the major local dance schools to begin to tickle the curiosity of the citizens and not only. Even the press, whose contribution is inevitable in launching events of so thick, will be involved in the second phase of the launch. To all the editors Italian pizzas will be delivered free in the container that will finally bring to their attention the logo of Salerno Pizza Expo. Certainly innovative thinking which will only increase the interest in the nascent showcase of made ​​in Salerno. Finally, for the more distracted, the Pillowfight. Other flash mob in which hundreds of people will make the classic pillow fight that will have the features of the pizza to further strengthen the image of the prince of the event.

Norma

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 08:34:10 AM »
They all look like Neapolitan pizza to me. 
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
They all look like Neapolitan pizza to me. 

And the best of them look like just another day of Craig's pics. Still kicking myself in the ass for not showing up at this past summer's doings :(

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
I did not bake this pie. But should it represent Neapolitan Pizza?

pizzapan