Author Topic: What are Neapolitan pizzas really supposed to look like when made in a WFO  (Read 4116 times)

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: What are Neapolitan pizzas really supposed to look like when made in a WFO
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »
In the pizza expo video, at about 1:14 there are what looks like pizza boxes with no tops.  anyone know what they are called and if they can be sourced? They look to make good serving plate thingies when outside.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
Let's get his thoughts,
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:09:21 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
Let's get his thoughts,

I believe that mans thoughts are on the right track.   :P

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline CJ

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
Hell Craig.... I thought that guy was you.
Dam...... I now need another Hero.
Naa.... I'll keep it you if that's ok?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »
These are some still photos from the same pizza expo I posted about yesterday.  There were 128 photos, so I can't post them all.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »
I am not an expert, some of those pizzas look amazing, others look OK.  All I know is:

Craig's and Omid's always look phenomenal!
Paolo

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »
I personally believe that pizza, and food preparation in general, is an artistic endeavor. There are guidelines for preparation, even governing organizations such as the VPN, but the final product is really the creator's vision and interpretation. Even when following specific guidelines for preparing a Pizza Napoletana,ie. VPN, there is room for interpretation. Different people/restaurants are going to ferment their dough for varying periods, use differing methods, and utilize different ingredients and purveyors of tomatoes, oil and cheese etc. These are all going to interact differently. For example, differing fermentation methods are likely going to affect the lepording structure and dough aesthetics.

When I make pizza I strive for what I consider to be best, both in tasting and in look and I do so by attempting to control and manipulate the variables to give me such a result. There is no right or wrong, just differing interpretations. Isn't that why we choose to eat at different places? Just my two cents, however.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:03:06 PM by jjdec05 »

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
I personally believe that pizza, and food preparation in general, is an artistic endeavor. There are guidelines for preparation, even governing organizations such as the VPN, but the final product is really the creator's vision and interpretation. Even when following specific guidelines for preparing a Pizza Napoletana,ie. VPN, there is room for interpretation. Different people/restaurants are going to ferment their dough for varying periods, use differing methods, and utilize different ingredients and purveyors of tomatoes, oil and cheese etc. These are all going to interact differently. For example, differing fermentation methods are likely going to affect the lepording structure and dough aesthetics.

When I make pizza I strive for what I consider to be best, both in tasting and in look and I do so by attempting to control and manipulate the variables to give me such a result. There is no right or wrong, just differing interpretations. Isn't that why we choose to eat at different places? Just my two cents, however.

Well put.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »
Photos I snatched of two pies from very good Naples pizza makers that a pizza-knowlegable friend posted elsewhere. (hope he doesn't mind).  Interestingly, he wrote that he was starting to think the NY places overcook their exteriors and undercook the centers.  I wonder what folks here think about this.  I haven't seen many posts that compare Naples pies with their American counterparts.  Are there any here?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
I find this post by blogger Elizabeth Minchilli interesting.  She lives in Rome, Italy and I think she is a member of this forum.  Elizabeth posts about the different kinds of pizzas in Rome and then lists her favorite pizzerias and links to those pizzerias.  She also posts most pizzerias are only open at night and says most pizzas are made in wood burning ovens.  I never have been to Rome to see what their pizzas look like, so I found those links helpful to see what the wood burning pizzas look like.
http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/2013/10/best-pizza-in-rome-2013.html 

Someone asked Elizabeth about Pizza Ciro on facebook and posted a link.  I was curious to see what Pizza Ciro's website looked like.  I like the pictures show at the top of their webiste.  It shows photos of people eating pizza a long while ago and other interesting photos. http://www.pizzaciro.it/home.html  The photos can be right clicked and zoomed in to see them a little better if anyone is interested.

Norma