Author Topic: UUNI oven unboxing  (Read 6455 times)

Offline ctheronj

• I Love Pizza!
UUNI oven unboxing
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
My Uuni pellet fired oven arrived today from the UK after a week en route.

Everything was in pretty good shape, although the bag of pellets had a small hole in it and there were a few pellets rattling around.

Also, the airflow regulator was bent, making it difficult to slide in and out of the fire tunnel. I plan on hammering it flat and possibly sanding the powdercoat off as well to get it moving smoothly. It shouldn't be subjected to great heat so I'm not too worried about that affecting its longevity.  Every other piece was in great shape.

I measured the thickness of the steel with a micrometer at about 0.054", but this is with two sides of powdercoat, so I'm guessing it's 18-gauge steel sheet (which would be 0.048" approximately).  Judging by how easily I bent the airflow regulator back straight, it is mild steel. Hopefully it stands up to the heat OK.  Instructions recommend firing for 20 minutes prior to baking, during which time the powdercoat will smoke off.  Sounds lovely.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. Every single piece other than the fan (appears to be a computer case fan) and battery holder (it takes 8 AAs; I will be using an AC adapter as soon as I can source one) are made of either metal or wood.

This is my first post. I modified a Weber grill earlier this year a la the Frankenweber and/or Kettlepizza, and have been getting great results, but I'm excited to try out the Uuni. May get to it either tomorrow or Sunday.

Does anyone know if there's really a difference between premium heating grade wood pellets and food grade pellets?  They look _exactly_ the same to me (we heat with a pellet stove, the corner of which you can see in some of the photos below)

Pictures below:

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: UUNI oven unboxing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »

Does anyone know if there's really a difference between premium heating grade wood pellets and food grade pellets?  They look _exactly_ the same to me (we heat with a pellet stove, the corner of which you can see in some of the photos below)

Pictures below:

They look the same but are not.  if you go to any pellet grill forum you will see lots of information on the difference and most people  do not use heating pellets in their grills.  Assuming that the smoke is hitting the pizza i'd use the same principal.  Heating pellets can have fillers or binders, some use recycled wood.  they can use non food grade lubricants in their machinery.   Pellet grill pellets use food grade lubricants.   If you can source food grade pellets locally it's your best bet.   You want straight oak for the most heat although bbqrs delight has a charcoal pellet and I have read that some people say that it burns hotter. 

Offline ctheronj

• I Love Pizza!
Re: UUNI oven unboxing: FIRST BAKE with PICS
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
Had the first bake last night, after running it on high for the requisite twenty minutes to "burn the paint off".  There really wasn't much (any?) burning of paint, although the external temperature of the oven maxed out my infrared thermometer in places (>1022F).  It is incredibly easy to get going and seems to get up to temp in a hurry, although it goes thru the pellets (a full hopper lasts maybe 10-15 minutes).

My initial impressions are that it bakes an excellent pie. There seems to be a lot of air-flow over the pie, so the bake times were somewhat shorter than I would have expected given the temperatures I was recording from within.  My frame of reference is a heavily modified Weber kettle grill, a-la Kettle Pizza with a cordeirite ceiling, which cooks pies in about 1-1.5 minutes at ceiling temp of 1000F and closer to three minutes at 800.

Note, however, the way the fire comes out of the Uuni: airflow is over the pizza, then thru some holes in the deck where it circulates back underneath the pizza and out the bottom. I wonder whether the moving (fan forced) air cooks the pizza differently than what I suspect is much more static air in a typical pizza oven (with my Weber mod being a bit of a mix between the two); also, the thin metal deck may transfer much less heat directly than hot masonry/stone, which I would expect holds heat much better.

Note the fire coming out of the burner, this is with the airflow shut off (otherwise it shoots out the front door): (picture 1-2)

I was cooking with the Uuni at around 800-850F internal temp of the ceiling, with the floor temp around 700F. The first pizza came out well overdone in just under three minutes: (pizza 1 is pictures 2-3)

Pizza #2 was eaten before it could be photographed :-)

The third pizza was more successful, this came out in just under 2 minutes, again with ceiling temp of around 800:  (pictures 4-5).  However, given the appearance of the pizza above and below, the crust (25% whole wheat) was slightly less done than I would have expected with my usual setup.  Again, wondering about the reduced thermal capacity of the metal deck.  Actually, this may be a good thing: my pies usually have an overly cooked crust which is sometimes burned.

I look forward to more experimentation with this as I work towards a better pie.  It really took me a long time to learn to use my Weber mod, although I was helped along by reading in the forums... I'd like to see other people's experience with the Uuni too, I know I have a lot to learn but it seems like a very good tool.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
CJ, where is the ash from the pellets collecting?

Offline ctheronj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
This is definitely one of the things that I worried about between the time of my pre order and actually using the oven.

Most of the ash seems to just sort of stick to the burn grate. I was worried about it spewing forth onto the pizza, because the fire certainly gets blown out that way, but there seems to be very little of that in practice.  if you have a pellet stove, as we do, in your house, you will notice every once in a while a fair sized piece of burning coal flying up into the air. I did not really see much of that going on, although maybe I should look closer. When I was doing the burn-in, I used heating grade pellets and there did seem to be a bit of ash on the cooking surface, but it was not really that much and that was over a twenty or thirty minute time period. With the food grade pellets, the burn seems more complete and the pizzas are only in for a couple of minutes, which is not much time for ash to accumulate. I did not notice any in/on the pizzas that I made, although I was pretty hungry and not really paying that much attention.

I will say that when you load additional pellets into the hopper, ashes can go shooting out. I made sure to shut off the airflow before doing this, and did not do it with a pizza in. That seemed to minimize the problem.

Offline ohioeric

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:53:53 AM »
very cool

Offline Gags

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
I also got a UUNI last week and was going to post my feedback...you beat me to it!
I think it's good to have a forum here so we can accelerate the learning with it.
And it looks like you had better results than I did right out of the gate!

My first few attempts went miserably as the uneven heat distribution above and below the pie caused the top to overcook, but left the bottom and interior of the crust way undercooked.  I was monitoring airflow / flame / heat and it sure is effective in heating the oven!!  Opening up the airflow maxed out my oven thermometer to well over 700F in just over a minute!  But there still seemed to be that huge disparity between hearth temp and deck temp. 

The next day, I backed the airflow down to drop the heat and size of the flame in the hearth.  That seemed to help a bit, but as expected, bake time increased unreasonably (~8 mins).  The biggest gains in getting the crust to bake made came from using a pizza stone to get more thermal mass under the pie.  I'm going to try tiles next to see if that's a happy medium.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:33:52 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

scott123

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »
I will say that when you load additional pellets into the hopper, ashes can go shooting out. I made sure to shut off the airflow before doing this, and did not do it with a pizza in. That seemed to minimize the problem.

CJ, thanks for taking the time to analyze the ash situation in this oven. I think, based upon your observations, that it's clear that this oven is spewing a tiny amount of ash onto the cooking surface, but that steps can be taken to minimize it. That being said, I feel pretty strongly that pizza should be a zero-ash equation.

Even if the Blackstone oven didn't exist, I'd still have an issue with the Uuni's propensity for throwing ash.  By the time you factor shipping in, the two are very close in price, but the balanced 60 second bake time and lack of ash issues makes the Blackstone a very clear winner- for those in the U.S.  For those outside of the U.S., I think the P134H is the clear winner there. The P134H is for indoor use, but, we're seeing faster balanced bakes than what the Uuni is promising and the price point is about the same.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:02:55 PM by scott123 »

Offline meatboy

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
Hey ctheronj, have you made more experiences with your UUNI yet? I'm so curious 8)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »
Hi Ctheronj - I received my UPS notice, my UUNI will be here tomorrow - I was wondering if you have used your oven since your last post and if so, how is it going? BTW, thanks for taking the time to create your unboxing post - I know it takes time and I appreciate the information.

Hope you're having fun and I'll be sure to post when I get a chance to use mine.

PS. Pic of my dough - getting ready for my first pie on the uuni....

Offline Gags

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you're looking for more feedback / observations with UUNI, I just posted some pics and my mods here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27932.msg282478.html
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »
thanks, I posted over there!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:15:11 AM by norcoscia »