Author Topic: Bottom of the base burnt, top raw  (Read 1493 times)

Offline I_Dunno

• I Love Pizza!
Bottom of the base burnt, top raw
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:38:38 AM »
I work at a takeaway pizza shop in Australia. Our old owner just left and didnt teach the new guy how to make the dough properly. (I never make the dough, I make the bases and topping and sometimes cook).  I am not sure how you would classify our pizza's but they are thin and fairly crispy but not completely crunchy.

However the problem that we are having is that the dough isnt cooking completely. The bottom and the top of the pizza are cooking but the top of the base is still raw. It is still very soft and the pizza's taste doughy.

We think it is dough related, however I will add this. We dont have one of those chain oven things. And the thermostate is broken, however the old owner had had that oven for 8 years or something (before I started there) and he knew it very well and could read the temperature so he just controlled it manually. So there could be the problem that we cant managing the temperature properly, but it is happening to every pizza and we cant seem to make one that is good. We have tried bases with no topping and the middle is still uncooked while the top and bottom are cooked

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Bottom of the base burnt, top raw
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 09:55:50 AM »
I Dunno,

You have not told us enough to be able to determine the source of your problem. It would definitely help if you can tell us more about the processes you use to make the pizzas, including the dough formulation (recipe) and preparation (including whether you refrigerate the dough/dough balls and for how long), dough weights and corresponding pizza sizes, the type of oven you are using, whether you are using pans, screens, disks or just an oven stone, whether you are pre-forming the pizza skins, bake times, etc. To help you formulate your response, you may want to take a look at the following thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2623.0.html. Your problem may be somewhat different from what is described in that thread but you will get the idea of how to analyze your problem and what level of detail is necessary to work through your particular problem.

As a preliminary suggestion, if you are using sugar in the dough you may want to omit it entirely (for now) and use a lower oven bake temperature and a longer bake time. If that doesn't help, then your dough formulation or dough management may be at fault.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Bottom of the base burnt, top raw
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
Pete's right: you need to provide us with more info. 

Still, I tend to think that your oven is a little too hot.  That's why the top and bottom are cooking a little too fast.  A lot of pizzamen tend to run a hotter oven in the morning to heat up the bricks quickly.  However, once they get to the right cooking temperature for their pizzas, they usually turn down the heat to maintain the proper cooking temperature.  Get yourself an oven thermometer and position it near the back of the oven.  It will give you a pretty good idea of the actual temperature of your oven there.  If you place it too close to the front/door, the cooler outside air will give you an incorrect reading.

BTW, 550F is a good cooking temperature.  I would bet your oven is around 650F.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:44:41 AM by RoadPizza »

pizzapan