Author Topic: Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber  (Read 5968 times)

Offline redox

Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
I think I'll start this thread to keep track of hits and misses as I learn how to make good pizzas and use the Blackstone Oven.
...and babble upon occasion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
Holy Blackstone threads Batman!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
This was a Lehmann formula for one 14-inch NY pizza using KASL flour. It was in the fridge for 72 hours and it could have gone for a couple more days.
The best handling dough so far. I opened it to 14 inches quickly and easily.
I put the shredded GFS cheese in the freezer for 15 minutes and it still browned too fast. Wife & I agree that it was the best one yet.
Pics to follow. Sorry to duplicate the ones in The Definitive Blackstone Pizzas thread! but I wanted to keep a record of my pizza destruction.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »
Wow!  :o , That baby is coming up in my BS soon. Niiiiice Job!
Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »
Hey redox,

I went looking for the Tom Lehman NY Style recipe and there seems to be many variations. Can you list yours?

Thanks,
jb

Offline redox

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
Hey redox,

I went looking for the Tom Lehman NY Style recipe and there seems to be many variations. Can you list yours?

Thanks,
jb
Sorry about that, I forgot how many versions that there were. That's one of the reasons I started this thread to help me remember the different pizzas I try, what worked and what did not. And of course, to help anyone I can.
Peter's post was so helpful that I'll just copy it here for you and me, since I had a bit of trouble finding it again. Thanks for reminding me! I used the one for the 14-inch pizza but I used a food processor to make the dough re: an article on Seriouseats.com. If you can't find that one let me know and I'll dig it up for you.

Re: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza
Reply #186 on: May 29, 2005, 11:09:20 AM

Teresa,

I have set forth below the formulations for the Lehmann dough recipes you requested. You will note that I have given you a single 12-inch recipe, a double-size recipe to make two 12-inch pizzas, a 14-inch recipe, and, for good measure, a 16-inch recipe, even though you didn't specifically ask for it, should you muster up the courage to try that one (if your oven will permit). For purposes of the recipes, I chose to use a thickness factor (TF) of 0.105. That is a bit more than the standard 0.10 thickness factor for a NY style, but it is one that I myself often use and it may be a bit easier for you to work with until you feel you are able to handle a slightly thinner dough if you think you would like that better. If you'd like, you can also use the matrix that fellow member Crusty created and posted at Reply #107 (on this thread) based on the 0.10 thickness factor and different hydration percents. For your recipes below, I chose 63%, which has pretty much become my personal standard.

Lehmann recipe for one 12-inch pizza
Flour (100%), KASL high-gluten, 7.15 oz. (1 1/2 c. plus 2 T.)
Water (63%), 4.50 oz. (between 1/2 c. and 5/8 c.)
Salt (1.75%), 0.13 oz. (a bit over 5/8 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.07 oz. (a bit less than 1/2 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.02 oz. (1/6 t., or about 7 pinches between the thumb and forefinger)
Total dough ball weight = 11.87 oz.
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.105

Lehmann recipe for two 12-inch pizzas
Flour (100%), KASL high-gluten, 14.30 oz. (3 c. plus 3 T. plus 1 t.)
Water (63%), 9.01 oz. (1 1/8 c.)
Salt (1.75%), 0.25 oz. (a bit over 1 1/4 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.14 oz. (7/8 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.04 oz. (a bit over 1/3 t.)
Total dough ball weight = 23.74 oz.

Lehmann recipe for one 14-inch pizza
Flour (100%), KASL high-gluten, 9.73 oz. (a bit less than 2 1/4 c.)
Water (63%), 6.13 oz. (3/4 c.)
Salt (1.75%), 0.17 oz. (7/8 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.10 oz. (a bit less than 5/8 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.02 oz. (a bit less than 1/4 t.)
Total dough ball weight = 16.16 oz.

Lehmann recipe for one 16-inch pizza
Flour (100%), King Arthur high-gluten, 12.65 oz. (2 3/4 plus 3 T.)
Water (63%), 7.95 oz., (1 c.)
Salt (1.75%), 0.20 oz., (a bit over 1 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.13 oz., (a bit over 3/4 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.03 oz., (about 1/3 t.)
Total dough ball weight: 21.10 oz.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
Take care!

Jim
Thanks.
My wife, who said she was getting weary of all the pizza, raved about this one. We agreed that it was the best one yet even if it was just a simple pepperoni & mushroom pie.

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
Breadbags! Is there anything they cannot do? Well, actually there's a ton of stuff they can't do. But they're really good for holding doughballs, though. No fuss no muss and nothing to toss in the dishwasher. I bought 100 on Amazon for less than $0.07/bag so cost isn't an issue. Easy to get out of the bag and the dough is a perfect circle which makes for a good start to forming the skin.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Interesting to compare those number to what I have in the fridge right now. Similar, but not quite. A bit less hydration, a bit more salt and oil. I'll probably be posting a thread here to track my progress as well.

Thanks redox.
jb

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
Breadbags! Is there anything they cannot do? Well, actually there's a ton of stuff they can't do. But they're really good for holding doughballs, though. No fuss no muss and nothing to toss in the dishwasher. I bought 100 on Amazon for less than $0.07/bag so cost isn't an issue. Easy to get out of the bag and the dough is a perfect circle which makes for a good start to forming the skin.

Bread bags are great. Using them now on my current batch. Do you leave them in the bag when you pull them out to sit at room temp for a few hours before making pizza? I usually give mine a gentle re-balling knead and set them in bowls.

Thanks,
jb

Offline redox

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
Bread bags are great. Using them now on my current batch. Do you leave them in the bag when you pull them out to sit at room temp for a few hours before making pizza? I usually give mine a gentle re-balling knead and set them in bowls.

Thanks,
jb
Usually, I'd re-ball and place back into the bags but this time I wanted to see what would happen if I just took the dough out of the fridge, let it sit at room temp for a couple of hours, then shape it into my 14-inch skin w/o re-balling. It worked pretty well but I had to be wary of stretching too thin. I get much better oven spring with re-balling, though.

Offline redox

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
Take care!

Jim
Thanks, Jim
The weather is so mild now (73 forecast for Tue & Wed)  that I'm somewhat disincentivized to use the BS unless I'm doing NY style or Neapolitan (which I have yet to try). I can do Chicago Thin Crust or Detroit Style pizza in 15 minutes without a long oven pre-heat since I don't need to heat up a baking stone for those.
I wanted the BS to avoid heating the house during the hot summer but while it was blisteringly hot (95) and so humid that I kept looking over my shoulder while assembling the BS, checking for alligators. Then, after I reduced myself to a simmering puddle of hot goo, the weather cooled down. Ha, the irony!
So, I guess this means that I'll be doing more NY style soon.

Offline redox

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
Call me Ishmael, ok don't do that because it's not my name. But unlike Captain Ahab, I've given up looking for the great white whale and will wait till cooler weather to order some Grande online.
In the meantime this will do. It's good mozzarella, I like it better than the Great Value WM Mozz I got from Walmart. I will have to slow down on pizza eating though, I think I gained weight on a bicycle ride! I may have to dig up my aquarium pants signature to remind me to cut back.

Offline redox

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
I was gonna bake some French or Italian bread to go with a spaghetti dinner tonight but since I was already in a great Italian deli I bought this instead. I'm so lazy.

Offline redox

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
I haven't tried Garvey's Pizza Factory clone in the BS yet, it's time to remedy that so I'll make up some dough today to use later in the week.

Offline redox

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
Yikes! Let myself get distracted by a phone call and over pre-heated the BS to 849. Put on a Chicago thin crust and it was done in two minutes. Glad I didn't have sausage on it as I'm not sure that would be enough time to cook the meat properly. The pepperoni, mushroom, red onion and Aleppo pizza tasted pretty damn good. No pix, wife had the phone. This dough was only in the fridge for 24 hours, I'll use the second dough ball on Sat Sun.. It'll be a 72 96 hour dough then. Hey, plans change.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:28:58 PM by redox »

Offline redox

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
Ok, baked the sister dough ball today and made another 14-inch Chicago Thin Crust. Aleppo, pepperoni, red onion, banana peppers and GFS Mozzarella. Used Ultragrain AP for the dough. Put in in the oven at 680 and after a couple of minutes backed off the gas until I couldn't hear it roar because I was afraid the top would brown too fast. Near the end of the bake I upped the gas just till the roar re-appeared to brown the top. It's nice being able to dial the flame up and down like this. Pizza was delicious, will make this one again.
The first picture is interesting because it clearly shows the browning pattern of my oven.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:03:03 PM by redox »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »
Real fine looking LMPS pizza pics here Jay!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
Real fine looking LMPS pizza pics here Jay!  :chef:
How could you tell I used a Linear Microwave Phase Shifter?  :-D

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
How could you tell I used a Linear Microwave Phase Shifter?  :-D

Is that what causes the uniform pizza crust moguls?  :) Those are tasty looking pies red.

jb