Author Topic: Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber  (Read 11130 times)

Offline redox

Re: Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
Luvs the subgum man!  8)
Yeah, me too. Bought enough to have leftovers today. We're lucky enough to have a very good Chinese place a few minutes away.

Offline redox

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
The Glutenboy dough balls are 6 days old now so I made a pizza tonight. Topped with Capocolla, Prosciutto, mushrooms, red onions, and banana peppers. I put part of the mozz on top of the tomato sauce and the rest on top of the other goodies. I had my usual trouble opening the dough but finally got it into a pizza-ish shape. Hey, a perfect launch dead center on the stone. My BS was about 750 and the bake took about 3 1/2 minutes. I don't think I can keep the cheese from browning with the mozz I'm using, though.
My best NY try yet, it tasted great.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:26:17 PM by redox »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »
That pizza looks about 20 times better than the one I had last night at the only Rosati's franchise in NC. Excellent work there Jay.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
That pizza looks about 20 times better than the one I had last night at the only Rosati's franchise in NC. Excellent work there Jay.  :chef:
I assume the original shops in Illinois are much better, right?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
I assume the original shops in Illinois are much better, right?
Oh yeah.....found out this place is on it's 2nd owner in 2 yrs.. The guy owns 17 others in Tx. and Az. and has this tooth-less grinning hag trailer park queenie running this NC joint into the ground jus as fast as you can say "Bob's your Uncle".  :-\

Offline redox

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »
Oh yeah.....found out this place is on it's 2nd owner in 2 yrs.. The guy owns 17 others in Tx. and Az. and has this tooth-less grinning hag trailer park queenie running this NC joint into the ground jus as fast as you can say "Bob's your Uncle".  :-\
So you're saying there's a gum line?  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
So you're saying there's a gum line?  :-D
Well...I believe so Jay. And she must personally apply it to each pizza because dat chit was gnarly nasty man! I think I could even smell a hint of tooth rot on that sucker.  >:(

Offline redox

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »
News Flash!
Phoenix police have arrested two Ohio men for transporting 843 pounds of marijuana inside frozen pizza cheese. The pot had a street value of $421,700 which oddly enough, is the same street value as 843 pounds of Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella.  :-D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:17:24 PM by redox »

Offline redox

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
My third and last Glutenboy dough ball is 10 days old and I really should use it before it gets any older since I'm not really sure how long it'll be viable.
This time I'll get the BS up to 800 to 825 or so and then, upon launch, back the burner down till the roar dies down and see how that bakes the pie.
Some really crappy pics from my old iPod Touch follow, my wife was using the iPhone and wasn't giving it up.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
So I had guessed that the crank it down after launch would favor bottom heat - less browning on top -  and that is what the photo's appear to show - right?

Offline redox

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
So I had guessed that the crank it down after launch would favor bottom heat - less browning on top -  and that is what the photo's appear to show - right?
I was getting to much "browning of the cheese" (wasn't that a medieval madrigal?). I lowered the turntable of the BS a bit and tried baking it a little differently and it all seemed to work, somehow. I may try adjusting the flame during baking next time to see what I can do with reducing browning. There's always the chauflector, of course, but I'll keep that as a backup.

Offline asihi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
Your pizzas look fantastic. I do have a question though. When cooking with raw meats like sausage, do you have to pre-cook the meat? It seems like this oven cooks so quickly, it wouldn't give the meat enough time cook. Thanks again for the pizza pics. Now I'm really hungry.

Tony

Offline redox

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Your pizzas look fantastic. I do have a question though. When cooking with raw meats like sausage, do you have to pre-cook the meat? It seems like this oven cooks so quickly, it wouldn't give the meat enough time cook. Thanks again for the pizza pics. Now I'm really hungry.

Tony
I put on small pieces of sausage and press them rather flat between my thumb and forefinger. I've never had any problems with it not cooking well enough. You want the juice and grease to melt into the pizza, it's delicious! (Although, I'm sure your Dr. would tell you differently.) :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »
Tight pants aside, I couldn't put off a Chi-Town thin crust any longer. Garvey's Pizza Factory clone is so good!
I used what I had, Bob Evans Italian sausage in a roll (I toasted some fennel and added extra) mild banana peppers, mushrooms and some Feta cheese leftover from a previous Greek salad. The Feta doesn't melt but it sure tastes good on pizza. I should've let the BS cool just a bit before launch, the bottom got a bit more done than ideal but it still tasted great.

Offline redox

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
This second Chicago Thin Crust pie turned out much better than the previous one. I kept better control of the heat this time. Who knew that'd be important? ;D
Sausage, baby portabella mushrooms, banana peppers, turned out great. Nice crispness to the crust, I could hear the crunch when cutting it. I feel I've redeemed myself after the previous pie which was a step backwards.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:17:53 PM by redox »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
Jay,

Nice job!  That pizza looks great.

Norma

Offline redox

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
Jay,

Nice job!  That pizza looks great.

Norma
Thanks Norma. The cold leftovers are pretty tasty, too. I'm munching them now.  :) This was the best the crust has ever turned out for me.
I think I need to do a nice big steak next time, though. For variety.

Offline italdream

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
A few Neapolitan-style pizzas from last Saturday pizza session. Fast rise dough (8 hours) resulting in smaller blisters/less even leoparding than usual.

The capricciosa was rounder than it looks. The plate was not flat so the pizza caved in a bit. Time to buy better plates...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:25:09 PM by italdream »

Offline redox

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
A few Neapolitan-style pizzas from last Saturday pizza session. Fast rise dough (8 hours) resulting in smaller blisters/less even leoparding than usual.

The capricciosa was rounder than it looks. The plate was not flat so the pizza caved in a bit. Time to buy better plates...
You might've meant to post in the Blackstone Oven thread but thanks for posting here, it classes up the joint.  :-D
Delicious looking pies, btw.  :drool:

Offline redox

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
italdream,
When I'm ready to try that style, I know who to ask for help, I had some very good Veal Piccata earlier tonight but your pizzas still make me hungry.

Offline italdream

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
Thanks redox. When you are ready to go Neapolitan,  ask me anything,  if I can help I will gladly do so.  My pizzas are totally open source.

I thought that I was posting in the right thread. Perhaps some mod can move it to the right place. I would not want to post it twice.

Offline redox

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Thanks redox. When you are ready to go Neapolitan,  ask me anything,  if I can help I will gladly do so.  My pizzas are totally open source.

I thought that I was posting in the right thread. Perhaps some mod can move it to the right place. I would not want to post it twice.
Hey, just kidding about your post. I try not to be serious too often. Pssst, most people around here are serious as librarians. I'm just trying to lessen the sense of dread.  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »
Hey, just kidding about your post. I try not to be serious too often. Pssst, most people around here are serious as librarians. I'm just trying to lessen the sense of dread.  :-D
Although I am as boring as dishwater(thanks Jay ;)) may I still post new info here on your thread...promise to keep the count down to a minimum pizza pal....wouldn't want to piss off da big shots!  8)

Offline redox

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 07:27:39 AM »
Although I am as boring as dishwater(thanks Jay ;)) may I still post new info here on your thread...promise to keep the count down to a minimum pizza pal....wouldn't want to piss off da big shots!  8)
Bob! You're outta rehab already?  :-D
Go ahead, have more posts than the US/Mexico border fence that we...er don't really have. There's only one rule, don't forget to flush.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
Bob! You're outta rehab already?  :-D
Go ahead, have more posts than the US/Mexico border fence that we...er don't really have. There's only one rule, don't forget to flush.
Well....didn't actually get released, but I'm definitely not there no more(thank God)....I think I saw Ryan in there man, that was weird.
Pies are looking great here! Nice jibber-jabbering with you....

pizzapan