Author Topic: Pastene tomatoes  (Read 6895 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Pastene tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 07:38:06 PM »
Calabrian peppers...$8
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline jkb

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »
Calabrian peppers...$8

Where do you get them?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 06:23:18 AM »
they came from an import store in Syracuse, thanks to member @dhorst!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm making pizza tonight, and out of curiousity I picked up a can of Pastene ground, peeled tomatoes to use for my sauce. Truth be told, Pastene was once my go to brand, they were the best of what was available locally, and I thought they were pretty good. Since then I have discovered other brands and have not used Pastene's in several years, so I decided to revisit Pastene tonight. The Pastene is much thinner than the brands I now use, and I didn't think they had as good a taste as they once were. They were a little weak tasting with some sweetness and a hint of a floral flavor to them. I will cook a pie using them tonight, but straight out of the can I'm less than impressed. There are far better option out there in the same price range IMHO.

scott123

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
Pastene used to be my go to brand as well.  There are probably seasonal fluctuations, but I've never opened a can of Pastene that didn't have a few yellow/green unripe tomato bits in it.  On the other hand, I've never opened a can of Sclafanis that had anything but red perfectly ripe tomatoes.

Pastene isn't bad for people who don't have access to Sclafani's, but they're far from perfect.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
I'm making pizza tonight, and out of curiousity I picked up a can of Pastene ground, peeled tomatoes to use for my sauce. Truth be told, Pastene was once my go to brand, they were the best of what was available locally, and I thought they were pretty good. Since then I have discovered other brands and have not used Pastene's in several years, so I decided to revisit Pastene tonight. The Pastene is much thinner than the brands I now use, and I didn't think they had as good a taste as they once were. They were a little weak tasting with some sweetness and a hint of a floral flavor to them. I will cook a pie using them tonight, but straight out of the can I'm less than impressed. There are far better option out there in the same price range IMHO.

I purchased a case of Pastene crushed and I notice inconsistencies between cans. Some need nothing, others need some sugar to counter the sourness. When they're good, they're great, otherwise they're nothing special.
Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »
here they are