Author Topic: This I Believe Challenge  (Read 1938 times)

Offline dhorst

This I Believe Challenge
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
A great while ago,  I know I posted on SE or Slice a bit from an NPR series, "This I Believe."  It was "Be Cool to The Pizza Delivery Dude".  http://thisibelieve.org/essay/23/  My husband, and I, then boyfriend, worked together at a pizzeria way back in the day, so I relate to this very short essay.

My challenge to anyone interested is to post a short piece, or long,  if you would like, regarding your beliefs on pizza and/or what's important to you in life in general.  Yeast strains, bread, cheese, life... just go there.  And, please post a pic of what/who you love that relates to this if possible. 

I haven't started my little essay yet, but I think this may be the opening sentence; "I will never cease to be amazed at the artistry, passion and devotion that I am witness to, among meeting some really great pizza obsessed folks."  Yes it needs some tweeking, but...

If Omid should choose to participate, I do see poetry regarding "This I Believe About Pizza" in hand.

Offline redox

Re: This I Believe Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »
Please understand that I'm not picking on you, I mean this in the best possible way.

This is a pretty decent 1st line:
If I have one operating philosophy about life it is this: Be cool to the pizza delivery dude; its good luck.

This one makes me sleepy  ;D : "I will never cease to be amazed at the artistry, passion and devotion that I am witness to, among meeting some really great pizza obsessed folks."

The first line is arguably the most important line of your piece. Every other line could be sheer genius but it the reader loses interest at the outset, then all is lost.
Yes, I did read that you said it needed tweaking but don't be afraid to toss it out and try another approach. Obviously, I don't know what tone you're looking for for your article so I'll shut up now and leave you alone.

Ok, it's not fair for me to be critical w/o giving you a chance to pick at my line.
So, off the top of my head, if I were gonna re-work your line it would be something like: If Michelangelo took a break from painting the Sistine Chapel and transferred his obsessions to pizza making hed be right at home with the pizza nerds I know.
I promise not to be offended.  :)

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
I always like constructive criticism.  My writing skills are a bit rusty due to neglect and well the glass of wine and the eye rolling from the husband didn't help either.  She's on pizzamaking again? :-D

You make some great points.  I definitely agree that a first sentence needs to be a knockout.  It's often the deciding factor for me when I'm browsing at the bookstore.  Yes, I'm old fashioned and like a physical book where I have to turn the pages.  I haven't been kindled yet.

I like your first sentence.  It also brought up in my mind, Irving Stone's book about Michelangelo, The Agony and the Ecstasy.  I think the title of that book could very well apply to many of us in regards to making and eating pizza.

Well, back to the drawing board.  Maybe I'll read some Elmore Leonard for inspiration.  His characters always have some of the best lines.  He's definitely one of the best crime writers out there.

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
I read Elmore Leonard with admiration and genuine awe at how he makes something so hard look so easy. I was so sorry to read about his recent stroke.
You could always try to work in a cultural reference. I've always thought of Peter as a "Rain Man" sort of character.  :-D His attention to detail is phenomenal.
You know, like...If you watched the movie "Rain Man" and thought that Raymond just didn't pay close enough attention to detail, have I got some people for you to meet!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
A great while ago,  I know I posted on SE or Slice a bit from an NPR series, "This I Believe."  It was "Be Cool to The Pizza Delivery Dude".  http://thisibelieve.org/essay/23/ 

Frankly, principle 3 tells me everything I need to know about the author. She could have stopped after the first sentence and her point would have been well taken, but instead, right after preaching humility and forgiveness, she just couldn't resist the urge to judge and condemn CEOs. Perhaps someone should remind her that the pizza delivery dude didn't create 20,000 jobs including those that made it possible for her not to have to share her Cheerios with her cats; and the pizza delivery dude has the luxury of sleeping the sleep of the just because he doesn't have to lay awake at night, crushed by the stress of worrying about he's going to keep the company solvent and not lay off people he cares about as a result of economic forces outside of his control. 

I can't help but wonder if pizza delivery dude has a Mitt Romney or Jesus Saves bumper sticker on his car, would all of her principles go straight out the window?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline communist

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
Once a week I make pizza for my wife and children.  I get excited about the approaching dinner at work when I call home to tell my kids to pull the dough and crank up the oven.  I hurry home and assemble and bake and serve the pizza. I listen for compliments and criticism.  My family and my pizza:  it's what I love.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
 ^^^ 100%
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 02:14:58 AM »
Comrade, that's a good paragraph.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
To me life is art.  Pizza is a part of that.  The simple puzzle of water, flour, yeast, salt, is a never ending challenge to me.  The meshing of the dough with a good sauce, cheeses, changes daily.  It is like the sky.  You look at it and it seems the same as it was 5 minutes ago but if you study the sky for 5 minutes it will change a thousand times.  Surfing is something I did as a teen.  I caught a perfect wave once and it is still in my mind like it was yesterday.  The same goes for the perfect pizza. I have made it and hope to catch it everyday.  It doesn't  happen but when it does it sure feels good. 

When I make a pie I feel the generations of my mother's family kneading dough for breads and pizza back in Italy. Dough has sustained mankind for thousands of years and for me the dough is the focus of a pie.  The topping should compliment the crust and never overpower it.     I also feel all the old men I was around growing up in NJ as they put a pie together.  That vibe I carry on. Once the pie is assembled sliding it off the peel into our 1970's blodgett 1000 ovens brings back more memories of making, watching, anticipating, and soon to be tasting, pizza pie.  Watching people enjoy the finished product is very satifying.  Feeding the body and soul is a labor of love.  Put all this together with watching special needs students produce products that rival any top end baked good/pizza makes this a zenith in reward for all.   This is a joy that never leaves me.   Come try our stuff someday.  It is a total mind and body experience.  Walter

I don't remember/have time to take many pictures because we are usually doing 10 or more recipes at once in our bakery/pizzeria so I have to keep my eyes on everything because my students can easily put in 5lbs of salt for sugar :o
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:20:29 AM by waltertore »

Offline communist

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
Good words Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Good words Walter

thanks and same with yours.  Walter

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 01:39:38 AM »
That was deep Walter. Looks like you have found the true meaning of pizza. We're all here deep down inside for a reason.

pizzapan