Author Topic: Tiring of Cracker - Looking for my next dough  (Read 893 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Tiring of Cracker - Looking for my next dough
« on: August 11, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
I'm pretty inexperienced but have a few good bakes on cracker crust and will continue that endeavor.  But I'm looking for a dough that has broader appeal for my next learning of pizzas.  I'm thinking something in the other direction...soft, tender, with maybe some mild crunch.    Looking for some recommendations. 

I'm not able to do the super high temps needed for Neo.  My house electric oven will go to 550F and has a "broil" setting and I have steel, and a couple Axner corderites.  My charcoal fired Bubba Keg (komado) will knock on the door of 800F, but that's pushing it.  I'm more comfortable limiting it to 700F to prevent damaging it.  So, real Neo is not looking feasible from what I've read here and Scott's posts.

TIA
Chuck

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Tiring of Cracker - Looking for my next dough
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »
I'm sorta partial to this type of pizza Chuck. It's real easy to make and has some broader appeal....well, at least in Chicago anyway.  8)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22946.0.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline parallei

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
Chuck,

What about some Sicilian or Detroit style for a change of pace?  The are a lot of fun and tasty too.

P.S.

Nice looking pointer there! 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:15:55 AM by parallei »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »
Sicilian/Detroit, Chicago thin or DD, all are great but, I'm sure you've seen the Blackstone threads. Do you have 370 bucks for an early Christmas present for yourself?? Puts the NP pies within easy grasp and can be toned down to do others styles to too. Did Garvey's Pizza Factory clone today and will do again tomorrow and a cracker too. Cheap enough toy to give you the full range of pizza between it and your home oven!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:22:04 AM »
How quickly do you like to have your pizza from the start to finish?

If you don't mind waiting a few days I highly recommend Glutenboy's dough.  Extremely highly,

If you want your pizza quick without a ton of hassle, I've got an emergency dough recipe that really never lets me down in a pinch.  The recipe I posted is in volumetric measurements.  I had always intended to post a version by weight, but never have gotten around to it.  Still, its a good dough in a pinch.

I've also had pretty good success with the Emergency Lehmann dough  I think either that recipe or the regular Lehmann would do quite well for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pete

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
I ended up trying a Lehman based NY style recipe that Pete-zza conjured in 2004.  Turned out really well.  It received raves from the family.  I coulda eaten that dough without toppings.  :chef: