Author Topic: Double Decker????  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
Double Decker????
« on: March 13, 2004, 04:48:17 PM »
Been toying with this idea for a while and I am suprised I have not seen it mentioned on the site anywhere.

Make standard crust for thin or New York.

Add layer of cheese.

Top with another paper thin crust layer.

Top pizza with sauce and ingredients.

Or you could also make the enclosed layer the sauce layer and have just the cheese and ingredients on top.
Please give me your input.
Has anyone tried this? Pros? Cons?
Thought I might ask before trying it myself.
I'll post my results if anyone is interested.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
Re:Double Decker????
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 05:43:42 PM »
Foccaciaman,   I think the 2nd dough layer may not get enough heat to bake through. It would probably stay "doughy" because it is surrounded by moisture above and below....

but if you don't try it, you'll never know. Make just a very small one as a test and you'll know. You won't have too much loss if it doesn't turn out.

Pierre

by the way... glad you joined the Forum. Read about your health problems and wish you also better health.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 09:37:08 AM »
Thanks Pierre, getting healthier daily.

Did not think about the lack of heat on the second crust, maybe a pre-bake on that one?
Or before the top layer of sauce and ingredients I cook it on the top shelf of the oven for a few minutes.
Well your right, never know until you try, I am gonna give it  a shot this week. Thanks for the input.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 06:55:50 PM »
I've been wanting to try making one for awhile.  I'm wary of it though.  I tried this with a chicago style a couple months ago and just lik ePierre described, the second crust didn't cook right.  It stayed doughy.  The pizza was delicious anyhow, but I was disappointed that the crust didn't cook right.  Thsi WAS on a very hefty pizza though.  I have a 16 inch remoavable bottom deep dish pan that is 2 inches deep.  It was piled to the top.  It might come out a little better on a NY style or another thinne rpizza.  Anyhow, if you canmake it work, do enlighten me.  I'd really like to make one.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

old6537

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 11:10:39 AM »
This seems old hat to me. If I remeber correctly, Pizza Hut had double deckers many years ago. In some of the recipe books I've read, Chicago stuffed deep dish pizzas are double deckers and perish the thought, diGiorno's frozen deep dish pizzas are double deckers. Check your recipe books for these pies and how to make them.

As to Wayne's attempt, it seems to me that none of the double deckers I've seen have ever been deeper than about  1-11/2 inches

check-out the recipe at

www.thatsmyhome.com/venettos/ddpizza.htm
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 11:49:01 AM by old6537 »

pizzapan