Author Topic: Pizza Shark's Authentic New York Style - Photos - Challange Answered!  (Read 28475 times)

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
oh, I forgot to ask, how do those orange/yellow tomatoes taste?  Are they any different than red?  I was thinking about experimenting with them to get a brighter color to a sauce. 

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Shark's Authentic New York Style - Photos - Challange Answered!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
I tried this dough yesterday and I liked it alot.  I was in a rush and wanted pizza quick and this fit the bill.  The crust had a light doughy texture with a slight yeasty taste.  Perhaps I would cut back a bit on the yeast next time. I used a screen so it wasnt too crunchy, which Im not complaining about, and was a nice change of pace.  I was able to see the difference from other doughs in that this dough had a high hydration and would creap up the hook despite spraying the hook with pam.

I will be using this one again.

I tried out a new mill I bought yesterday too...looked just like the one in your pics...the thing didnt work worth a damn...just spun the tomatoes around and around.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:44:11 AM by pierce652 »
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline Brian Hunt

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 12:13:02 AM »
I needed a quick dough to feed my son pizza for supper tonight. I made this dough up and only let it rise in my oven with the light on as a proofing box for about an hour then divided it into 3 small balls and let those have a short second rise. I currently use a pizza bella oven that I modified the temp controller on to achieve higher heat. I had a sauce premade from making pizza yesterday with a 24 hr cold rise Lehmann dough, and my supper plans had fallen through for tonight so I needed a quick dough. This recipe turned out really nice. The dough was a little sweet and didn't have the sourdough flaver that yesterday's dough had, but It had nice oven spring and a good flavor of it's own. It browned nicely and developed a nice outer crunch while being soft and chewy in the center. I plan to keep this recipe in my arsonel for a quick fix for pizza in a hurry but still plan to experiment with long cold ferment doughs.

Thanks

Brian Hunt

p.s. sorry no pics, too busy eating. Maybe next time.  :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 12:27:10 AM »
Brian,

FYI, there are at least three other "emergency" dough recipes on the forum if you are interested, including a Lehmann emergency dough. If you want the links to those recipes, let me know.

Peter

Offline Brian Hunt

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
Hi Peter,

since I am still at the full experimental stage in my pizza making, that would be great. Thanks. :)

Brian.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »
Brian,

Here are links to threads and posts that you might want to consider for “emergency” doughs, in no particular order of preference:

1) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27251.html#msg27251 (Replies 407 and 408). (Note: You will note that some of the links to items in the archives at the PMQ Think Tank are inoperative. I have notified the PMQ webmaster, who has informed me that they are using a new host that doesn’t support the old PMQTT format, although they are looking for a solution.)

2) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26686/topicseen.html#msg26686.  (Note: See Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26822.html#msg26822, and, for one of my takes on this recipe, see Reply 28 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg27116.html#msg27116).

3) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2790.msg24104.html#msg24104/ (For my attempt at a baker’s percent version, see Reply 35 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2790.msg27551.html#msg27551).

Based on the thickness factors and baker’s percents referenced in the above posts, you should be able to use either the basic Lehmann dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html or the enhanced dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html to come up with the ingredient quantities for the dough to make any size pizza you would like to make.

Happy reading and happy emergency pizza making.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 02:46:56 AM »
Im new here and was really pleased to see a topic on making pizzas with the standard electric oven.Im going to try it soon!!!!The tips were great!
 :)

However,I wanted to ask,but how is cooking a pizza during a oven cleaning cycle dangerous and causes a house to burn down?Has someone does this before and burned down their home?It looked like someone has?I had thought about this myself,wondering if it could be done.If its too dangerous I wont try it then.I had an idea that maybe I can cook pizza with higher temps than my oven would normally put out,using the cleaning cycle.Is there alot of fires from that?
Thanks!
-Bill

Offline Brian Hunt

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 11:47:05 PM »
Hi Peter,

thanks for those links, I really appreciate it. Will try to post my results.

Brian Hunt.

Offline mikel33

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
I have regular flour and King Arther unbleached bread flour. Which should I use for about 1 hour in the fridge?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »
I have regular flour and King Arther unbleached bread flour. Which should I use for about 1 hour in the fridge?

Mike,

I don't think that it will matter all that much for a one-hour stay in the refrigerator, but I think I would go with the bread flour, mainly for its higher protein content and flavor and color contributions.

Peter

Offline mikel33

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
I don't think that it will matter all that much for a one-hour stay in the refrigerator, but I think I would go with the bread flour, mainly for its higher protein content and flavor and color contributions.

Thanks Pete,

We're making pizza tonight, and my father wants to show me a few things from his pizza making days also. I'll let you know how it is, and try to take some pics.

Offline simcha

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »
Hi everyone.  I understand I may be "necro-posting" but I just have to say that Pizza Shark had such great insight for beginners.  Today I was able to successful launch 2 pies into my oven from my peel and take out a nice cooked pizza.

The semolina on the peel worked like a charm and didn't give the dough a bitter taste.

I just wanted to say thank you very much for the guidance and tips, really really useful stuff.

Any videos on stretching out the dough?  My pies were football shaped.

Offline ogdred

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
I like this video from Diana Coutu, which shows how keeping the dough round starts from the moment you start touching the dough ball. I like to stretch a bit more on my knuckles, or by tossing in the air, but she does a great job of emphasizing that symmetry...

How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkfDqA8yKg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkfDqA8yKg</a>

Offline Ppixton

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
I am new to this website but love what I find! What great help! However, I missed when Pizza Shark posted the Regina Pizza dough recipe. Does anyone have it? Would you mind re-posting it? Thanks.
-P2pizza

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
P2pizza,

I can't tell you that the Pizza Shark dough recipe is the Regina Pizzeria dough recipe but Pizza Shark's recipe can be found in the compilation of recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110289.html#msg110289 .

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
Im new here and was really pleased to see a topic on making pizzas with the standard electric oven.Im going to try it soon!!!!The tips were great!
 :)

However,I wanted to ask,but how is cooking a pizza during a oven cleaning cycle dangerous and causes a house to burn down?Has someone does this before and burned down their home?It looked like someone has?I had thought about this myself,wondering if it could be done.If its too dangerous I wont try it then.I had an idea that maybe I can cook pizza with higher temps than my oven would normally put out,using the cleaning cycle.Is there alot of fires from that?
Thanks!
I personally have never heard of a proven case of someone burning a house this way but there are lots of things I've never heard of.  :)
Operating an oven this far beyond normal use is stupidly dangerous. Ask yourself this: If I burn down my house doing this and the insurance company inspection shows that I compromised the thermostat to reach temperatures 200 or 300° beyond normal oven baking conditions, do you think the insurance company will pay up? Of course not. For $370 dollars you can buy a Black Stone pizza oven and make far better pizzas than your home oven ever could. And your house won't have that smokey smell. Seems like a win win to me.

Offline scott123

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Jay, there weren't Blackstones back in 2007 when that post was originally made  ;D Good advice, though. I agree 100%.

Offline redox

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
Jay, there weren't Blackstones back in 2007 when that post was originally made  ;D Good advice, though. I agree 100%.
D'oh! I didn't notice the date.  ???
Dates are important?
Ok, now I'm off to warn JFK to stay out of Dallas 11/22/63.

pizzapan