Author Topic: Roberta's Cookbook  (Read 881 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Roberta's Cookbook
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
It looks like Roberta's in Brooklyn (my wife's name is Roberta and she was born in Brooklyn  :-* - go figure  8)) is publishing a cookbook to be released on October 29.

Here is a link to their website which notes the fact: http://www.robertaspizza.com
Here is a pdf extract: http://www.robertaspizza.com
If you go to Amazon, you can "Search Inside" although it is not yet shipping.

I was able to see their dough recipe which calls for 50/50 00/KAAP.  Although it is obvious they are recommending this for the home baker with oven temperature up to 550, it is not clear (anyone know their flour, baking time, baking temperature?) if this is the mix they use in their restaurant.  66% hydration.

Their sourdough recipe calls for 18.6 starter as a % of total formula and a 1 to 2 day cold ferment (I know TXCraig1 does not recommend this idea!).

You can peruse a few of their pizza recipes using the Search Inside engine.

I am thinking of ordering the book but would like some reactions / recommendations for those familiar with their work.  Although a NYer, it has been almost 40 years since we left town for the west - no first hand opportunity in sight right now.

Thanks,
Mitch

[ Admin: Here's a link to the book http://www.amazon.com/dp/0770433715/?tag=pizzamaking-20 ]

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Roberta's Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
 i went to a pizza class a few years ago put on by two of the pizza chefs from roberta's and they stressed 66 percent hydration as being very important. they used straight caputo flour. the pizza was good using a home oven which is what they had at the demo site. i could see it being better with some american flour added, along with a little oil and sugar but that is my answer not theirs.
 so two years ago they used straight caputo today i cannot tell you. i did have pizza there a few months ago and it seemed like straight caputo to my taste buds.

Offline dineomite

Re: Roberta's Cookbook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
The beauty of wood-fired restaurants writing cookbooks is that in order to appeal to the broadest audience possible, the recipes are written for home ovens. I have to assume part of this is a mandate from the publishers, as most of their potential buyers are not going to have the luxury of an oven (in whatever form) capable of heat higher than 550.The other part is that the authors may not be interested in tossing their readers the keys to the kingdom.

I imagine one day someone will offer an informative chapter for wood-fired pizza dough, my guess is that it will most likely be some type of bread book - not a pizzeria. Until then, I think there's more information on pizzamaking.com than you're going to find in any bookstore.