Author Topic: Wood-fired Oven Cookbooks  (Read 175 times)

Offline arthurinusa

• I Love Pizza!
Wood-fired Oven Cookbooks
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
I realize that this forum is about Pizza Making, but does anyone have recommendations for the best cookbook(s) for other dishes. I want to utilize my new wood-fired oven to the full. Thanks.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Wood-fired Oven Cookbooks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 07:10:03 PM »
I've got a few books on the subject that are minimally useful. More valuable for getting the most out of your WFO for other dishes is to learn how to tame the heat for baking, roasting, grilling with different configurations. For example I have a grids for cooking over coals, high-temp dishes for cooking on the oven deck, radiant heat barriers for baking..... For me there is no need for a dedicated cookbook; so many conventional recipes can be adapted to the WFO with great results. My procedure is usually to fire up the beast for pizza and then try to take advantage of the residual heat in as many ways as possible. FWIW I have a bunch of posts on this forum on this subject. Do an advanced search on "residual heat" and by user "Bill/SFNM".

Offline dineomite

Re: Wood-fired Oven Cookbooks
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »
...so many conventional recipes can be adapted to the WFO with great results. My procedure is usually to fire up the beast for pizza and then try to take advantage of the residual heat in as many ways as possible.

Wholeheartedly agree. I mapped out a three day chart of air and floor temperatures for the oven after the coals have been removed. Using those temperature windows I can pretty much adapt any conventional oven recipe to the pizza oven.