Author Topic: Fried Pizza  (Read 1002 times)

Offline MissNYPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Fried Pizza
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
I grew up on fried pizza. It was the only type of pizza my grandmother made. It was always part of our meatless Xmas eve meal. My grandmother would shape dinner plate sized dough rounds and fry them in corn oil. After frying and draining on towels she added thin slices of buffalo mozzarella and a basic sauce which consisted of broken up roma tomatoes, olive oil, basil, garlic, salt and pepper simmered for maybe 10-15 mins. In later years when friends opened a pizzeria she would buy 5lb. hunks of the cream colored pizza cheese form them and use that on her pizzas. Good stuff.
I still make it to this day...always on Xmas eve.
I never asked where she got the idea from so I don't know if it was a regional thing (she came from a small town 2hrs. south of Naples) or something she heard about from someone else.
My British husband who had never eaten anything but Pizza Hut or Dominos loves it!

Offline parallei

Re: Fried Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
The fried pizza sounds great.  It is all the rage now in some rarified circles!

Post photo's next time you do some........

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »
MissNYPizza,

OMG!  When I was a kid, my church fair made fried pizza!  They fried it just like your Grandma, put puréed tomato sauce on top and then sprinkled it with grated table cheese.  Now I want to make it.  If you don't mind me asking what type of dough and flour do you use to make your fried pizza?

Thanks,
Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline MissNYPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
I was eating fried pizza in the 60's as a kid. My grandmother was making it before I was born.  She originally used only sauce with grated Romano cheese on top...no mozzarella. My dad asked her to add the mozzarella.
When I lived in NY I used to get pizza dough from a pizzeria down the street. Now I either buy Tiseo's frozen (all I can find here in Ohio) or I make a very basic dough...bread flour, yeast, salt, a bit of olive oil. I never use it freshly made. I always let it rest a few days in the fridge then bring it to room temp before shaping into rounds.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
MissNYPizza,

I tried fried pizza men and really did like them at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11084.msg99669.html#msg99669 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!