Author Topic: AP flour sourdough with Caputo 00  (Read 824 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
AP flour sourdough with Caputo 00
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
As the title suggests - I'd like to venture into using tipo 00 flour to make some neapolitan pies however I'm afraid of creating a pizza with an identity crisis, calling it neapolitan and having the AVPN police bag n tag me. If I make a batch of dough using about 15-20% sourdough thats been fed with AP flour and the rest using tipo 00, would this still be considered neapolitan? (Given of course that all I use is flour water and salt).

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: AP flour sourdough with Caputo 00
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
The type of flour that you feed the starter does not matter. AP is probably a good choice as far as price goes. You would not want to feed a starter expensive Caputo flour only to throw most of it away when feeding time comes.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
What type of oven will you be using?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »
What type of oven will you be using?

Unfortunately I live in an apartment with a gas oven, which of course won't reach the correct temp. to cook these pies. I've read online about people broiling their pies and then finishing them in a preheated skillet which got me thinking...would placing a pizza stone as close to the broiler as possible produce a similar outcome? It's not authentic by any means but considering the tools I have to work with it wouldn't be horrible  :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
I ask because you're probalby handicapping yourself by using 00 in a kitchen oven. You will likely have much better results with AP. The 00 is to hard to brown at kitchen oven temps unless you have one heck of a powerful broiler.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
So I tried the broiler/pizza stone combination and the tops browned nicely however the bottom of the pies were not cooked at the same rate. Whelp, guess it's back to AP flour...

pizzapan