Author Topic: Luigi WM Mozzarella isn't bad  (Read 1554 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Luigi WM Mozzarella isn't bad
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
Made by Roma Foods (same company who makes the Bacio Mozz with kiss of buffala). Only 4.5/lb near Chicago.  I find it to be better than sorrento.  It stretches really well too.  I get this at my local caputo Italian store.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Luigi WM Mozzarella isn't bad
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
Hmmm, I always thought Roma was only a distributor....
Made by Roma Foods (same company who makes the Bacio Mozz with kiss of buffala). Only 4.5/lb near Chicago.  I find it to be better than sorrento.  It stretches really well too.  I get this at my local caputo Italian store.

Nate
Hmmm, I thought Roma was only a distributor....
I'll bet it is much better than Sorrento.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:37:55 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
Actually it's only $2.99/lb when u buy by the chunk.

Nate

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
Actually it's only $2.99/lb when u buy by the chunk.

Nate

$2.20 where I'm at!!

Haven't given it a test drive yet...but pizza tonight with Luigi's!! Will post pics and breakdown the cheese (no pun intended)

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
$2.20 where I'm at!!

Haven't given it a test drive yet...but pizza tonight with Luigi's!! Will post pics and breakdown the cheese (no pun intended)

Nice!  Let me know what you think.

Nate

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
Hey, here is my first test with Luigi cheese and my first documented bake posted on PM.com!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26886.0.html

About Luigi cheese...

I have nothing but good things to say about it....and this is price (which is a steal) aside.

It melts great and while it doesn't quite resist browning as well as Grande....it more than holds its own in this department. Strings very well and has a ton of flavor.

My wife and I are both NJ natives (she was born in NYC) and we lived virtually our entire lives in NJ and were 20 mins from midtown Manhattan. We both agree that, while it's not Grande exactly...it does give us that indy pizza shop flavor from back up north. There is nothing missing IMO.

And for $2.20/lb? Absolute no-brainer.

I don't know if Luigi is the same cheese as Bacio or from the same company...but they are both distributed by Roma. I have access to both and I also have a 6lb block of Grande Whole Milk right now.

If anybody is interested.... I can do a side by side shootout with a blind taste test...w/ pics of course! Should be fun.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
I have not seen or tried Luigi cheese here in NJ. My last pie I used Frigo whole milk low moisture mozzarella (on a recommendation of a fellow forum member) which was very good and melted great! The only drawback is that it's $4.99/lb  :(
Chaz

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
I have not seen or tried Luigi cheese here in NJ. My last pie I used Frigo whole milk low moisture mozzarella (on a recommendation of a fellow forum member) which was very good and melted great! The only drawback is that it's $4.99/lb  :(
Chaz,
Sam's club has Frigo.....think it's $2.10 lb. shredded lmps around here.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »
Chaz,
Sam's club has Frigo.....think it's $2.10 lb. shredded lmps around here.

Figures....I belong to Costco...lol
Chaz

Offline Zing

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »
I just tried that Frigo WM LM mozzarella that I bought at a ShopRite supermarket for $4.99 to see if that is what Shakey's is using, since that Frigo is labeled as "Real California cheese". While it is not a match for Shakey's, I think it is the best supermarket 1 pound blocks of mozzarella available in the northeast. I did try the Dragone, but think it is made somewhere outside of California. I don't know if the Frigo sold by Sam's Club is the same cheese as the one pound blocks now sold by several northeast supermarket chains.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
Glad u liked it Hobbs.  Sometimes I will mix it with a better mozzarella too to cheapen the cost.

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:57:26 AM »
I like it...it's 1/2 the price of grande...

But I did a side by side shootout of the two the other day and here is what it boiled down to...

The luigi wm held up very favorably in flavor and resistance to browning. About a wash in comparison to grande. The thing that surprised me was there was noticeably less oiling off of the luigi compared to the grande but yet it didn't brown at any significant rate more than the grande wm.

The big...and I mean big...difference was the elasticity of the grande cheese. It just stretches and stretches and stretches....Luigi has some but not in the same league as grande.

Offline Zing

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
See my post here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30138.0

that Bacio cheese is a Leprino product.

pizzapan