Author Topic: Tired of searching for great cheese  (Read 2873 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Tired of searching for great cheese
« on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
I need help!  I've tried almost every shredded cheese I could find and they are all either tasteless or burn too easily.  Recently, I went to a local Restaurant Depot with my brother who lives about 1,000 miles who was at my house for a visit and found the one cheese that made a huge difference in my pizza - it is Supremo Italiano 3 cheese blend pre-shredded 5lb bag for about $12.  I think it was a blend of mozzarella, white cheddar and provolone cheeses.  It was delish!  Unfortunately I don't have a business license to become a member and my brother only visits once per year.  I've bought Costco's mozzarella but it was nothing great and the only blend they had was a Mexican blend which I would put on tacos but not pizza.  I even got a one day pass to Sam's Club to try the Stella Brand but they didn't carry their 3 cheese blend.  I've been to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and to Fairway Market, and every supermarket I could find, but everything I've tried doesn't compare.  I am lucky enough to be near E & S Foods which has cash and carry on Fridays.  Most of their products including Grande Cheese, have a purchase minimum of like 5 or 6 items in bulk.  I certainly don't need 5 or 6 5-pound blocks of mozzarella, unless you can freeze cheese?  They do have Sorrento brand 5 pound pre-shredded whole milk mozzarella without a minimum purchase. I though about blending on my own but I don't think the supermarket brands are good enough to waste my time. Should I consider buying the Sorrento brand or are there other resources for my perfect cheese?
Mary Ann

Offline Tommy T

Re: Tired of searching for great cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
Why not ask your brother if he can get an additional card for you to use.  I know for a fact that R Depot will issue at least two cards per business.  I also like their 3 cheese blend for certain pies.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:10:41 AM »
Get friendly with your local pizza place. I get 5lbs of cheese & all-trumps flour every few weeks from mine.
Josh

Offline Zing

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
Supremo Italiano is one of the house brands of Restaurant Depot. I don't know who actually manufactures that cheese blend, though a 80/10/10 mozzarella/cheddar/provolone shredded blend is produced by quite a few foodservice vendors.

There are several discussions on the 'net, both here and on other forums, that have discussed ways to get into Restaurant Depot. You may want to look them up, and also check your personal messages.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
JD is correct!!!! Make friends with your favorite Pizzeria and know in advance what products they use on their pizza. Also, don't try to buy from them when they are at their busiest times. Ask them during their slow times and be sure to tip well, and thank them for selling to you. 

TomN

Offline gobbetto

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:13:52 PM »
GFS carries this brand. It is open to the public!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

What is GFS and where are they located?
Mary Ann

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »
Thanks for the info but none of them are even remotely close to me.  I have however, purchased some RD cheese from my local pizzeria and it was just as delicious as I remember it being on my pizza  ;D

Thanks all for your help.
Mary Ann

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »

Mine doesn't.  Which state are you in?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
Also if you join KCBS you can get into RD
http://www.kcbs.us/member_login.php?m=1&source=discount_program.php
$35 yr

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »
$35 yr

Wow, that's a win/win right there.  Picked up one for myself and my dad.  Merry Christmas!   ;D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
Mine doesn't.  Which state are you in?

Some GFS Marketplace stores carry products that aren't standard Marketplace items, due to unusually high demand for a non-Marketplace item at any particular store. For example, I used to get three-pound containers of Grande fresh mozzarella (half a case) at a store on the northwest side of Columbus, but you won't find that at almost every other store. Similarly, the store I go to most nowadays always has candy buckeyes (dense, round pieces of peanut butter covered not quite fully with chocolate; they look very similar to buckeyes). I'd assume candy buckeyes are only available in Columbus-area stores (or maybe all of Ohio).

If you look at the GFS product guide, all items listed with an "M" beside it are carried at every GFS Marketplace store.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »
Why not just make your own blend? Locally there have been fantastic sales on cheeses lately, Shop-Rite has been featuring a different mozzarella every week for under $2 a pound, and their cheddar was 99 cents for an 8 oz. stick. It's not rocket science, just approxiamate an appropriate blend and shred it up and mix it together. Freshly grated cheese is much better then the pre-shredded you buy in packages, it has no added ingredients to combat clumping. One of my favorite pizza making tools is a Presto salad shotter which is my pizza cheese grater. No need to buy in bulk, or beg, borrow or steal to get into a members only business. Mozzarella, cheddar, mild provolone, fontina/fontinelli and kasseri are staples in my cheese drawer for pizza duty.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »
Whatever cheese you buy, get WHOLE MILK cheese. Pizza ain't a diet food.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »
I'll let you know. I'm getting my membership card next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes over with RD.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
$35 yr

Really?  RD no questions asked?

it's a kcbs membership benefit.  I haven't been for awhile but unless it's changed you just show them your kcbs society card and they write you out a day pass that you give the cashier when checking out

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 08:59:28 PM »
Correct.  I just got back from RD.  Worked like a charm.  I won't need any pizza stuff for a looooooong time.

Offline caymus

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 06:51:21 AM »
Correct.  I just got back from RD.  Worked like a charm.  I won't need any pizza stuff for a looooooong time.

Dustin

What quantity cheese were you required to buy? 6 lbs or a case?

Thanks