Author Topic: Kilns for Neo?  (Read 476 times)

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
Kilns for Neo?
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »
I'm not accomplished enough to be messing with Neo yet.  But I have a friend getting rid of a never used ceramic kiln with 17.5" hex or octogonal interior, hinged top. 230v single phase.   All the shelving, pyrometer, etc. It's never been run.   Fair sized object, maybe 2 ft tall.  I'm invisioning a slot cut in the side.  From the mfr's website, it says its capable of 2350F.  That should be high enough to brown fire brick.  ;D  They are also $1755 new, without the shelving .

I can get it for a few hundred bucks if I want it.   Do I want it?     
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:56:53 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline scott123

Re: Kilns for Neo?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:09 AM »
If you'd be getting it only for pizza, I'd advise against it, as a Blackstone oven is in the same price range and far less trouble to pull an NP pie out of.

On the other hand, if you have ceramic/pottery inclinations, that's a really good price on a kiln.  But to really do pottery, you need more than just a kiln, though. Technically, you could probably find clay on a river bank, and start hand molding pottery with that, but if you really want to take pottery seriously, the equipment and materials aren't cheap. It also takes a considerable amount of electricity to fire a kiln, and electricity isn't cheap, so a great deal on a kiln may not translate into a cheap pottery hobby.

But, buying it only for pizza- no.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »
Yeah Scott, I'm thinking you're right.  I really don't need more junk around the house.  I'm not even sure I want any dedicated pizza oven. :-\

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:09:42 AM »
Oh no, you definitely want a dedicated pizza oven.

There's a place in New York that uses a kiln they have turned upside down and suspended that they lower down to make their pizzas with.  It's called Wildrise.  Their pictures look pretty good.  However, Scott is pretty correct that its probably much cheaper to run a blackstone.

Now if you were going to enterprise and build a gimmick around that such as Wildrise, then maybe it'd be worth a go.  But I wouldn't do it just for home use.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
I have a 20" x 20" glass kiln sitting in my crawl space from my "artist" years.  :-D  I was thinking the same thing but quickly came to my senses and bought a Blackstone. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato