Author Topic: JB's Blackstone jibber jabber  (Read 1333 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
JB's Blackstone jibber jabber
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Well, last night's cook was a bit bumpy. Had planned to do 6 and only made 3. Let's get the dough details out of the way.

Flour: 75% KABF, 25% Bob's Redmill Semolina
Water: 60%
Yeast: ADY .4%
Salt: 2%
Olive Oil: 2%

Mixed for a few minutes in the Kitchen aid with a dough hook, then an autolyse, then a few more minutes on the hook. Balled into 265g balls and into the fridge for 4 days. Despite cooking issues, was the best tasting dough I've made yet.

I pre heated the BS to 650 and then turned down the flame until it would maintain that heat, or about there. Which brings up a good question. Where are people getting their reading from? It will vary from the edge by the flame to the opposite side by 50+ degrees. My readings were coming from the flame side half way to the middle for what it's worth.

First pizza I made was a Margherite with Bufala di Mozzarella. Have never used Bufala nor made a Margherite. The Bufala was delicious and very watery. It was beautiful before it went in. After? Not so much. No distinct melted cheese, just a soupy mess. Taste was only so so. Was amazing to watch this first one cook. The crust was rising and browning in ways my pizza never have before and that was very cool to see.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Re: JB's Blackstone jibber jabber
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Next was a house classic, pesto, artichoke and chicken. It was the best pie of the night.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
And now the trouble pie that brought this cook to an abrupt end. A brocollini, sausage and hot pepper pie. I want to give thanks to Jackitup for the "build a pizza on a linen cloth" idea. Worked great, was easy to get the pizza onto the peel and no trouble launching. Launching onto a spinning disk was not as hard as I thought it might be. Off center was not a big deal, just wait for the crust to set and scoop with the metal peel and reposition. But do wait till the crust has set. With this one I was early and the skin broke, leaking and burning and sticking to the stone. I got most of it off, it was still tasty, but there would be no more cooking on that stone that night. It had a charred messy pile in the center.

I think I may have been stretching the skin to thin to start with and this may have happened even if I'd waited, but next time...

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
I didn't mention that there were no mods. The pies cooked for a bit over 4 minutes. I was going for an NY Style inspired pizza. All of them seemed like they could have used a bit more cooking in the center. I may add the chauflector to see if it will direct more heat to the middle. Any feedback on what happened to the margherite would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
jb,

Your second pizza looks amazing!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
Thanks Norma. I was back browsing your BS pics and I am going to try not to let the skin get so thin. I'm pretty sure that contributed to the leaking and sticking.

jb

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:16 AM »
Second cook went much easier. This oven is really easy to use and makes amazing pizza. These were the three dough balls I had to put back in the fridge from the night before. They worked really well. rose nicely, opened easily and cooked up really well. They were just a bit chewier than the ones cooked the night before. Other than that they were very good.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »
More pics.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
I love everything about that broccoli pie. Glad the re-chilled dough wasn't an issue in the end.
Josh

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »
Beautiful pies JB
Bert,

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »
Thwey  all look great ! but that Brocc. pie sure is photogenic!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
JB,

Those sure are some tasty looking pizzas!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
Thanks everyone. That first pic is the aftermath of the leaking pizza from my first attempt. This time I didn't let the skins get as thin when opening and let them set after launching until they would easily release from the stone. At that point it's easy peasy pizza.

I have noticed, at least in my setup, there is quite a difference between the center and rim temps. I think you can see from the bottom pics that there is a ring of dark char and then it lightens noticeably. Pete-za pointed it out to me and when eating I didn't notice any taste or texture issue. Everything was fully cooked. Perhaps a mod could be done where more flame gets to the center of the stone.

jb

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »
JB,  not sure I would change anything, those pies look great.   BTW,  I measure temp at the same place as you -  4:30 on the dial if you assume dead center at the rear is 12 and the flame is around 3:00 -  though I usually launch around 700 to 750, I might drop that a little since I like the browning you are getting.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
I have begun to take my temps dead center on the stone. If I'm consistent I'll at least know what to expect. This last set of pies the first was launched at 700. After pulling the first pizza the stone temp had dropped to 550. I opened the regulator a touch until it hit 650 and launched the next. The last was between 650 and 700.

Now it's time to play with dough formulations. I'm going to try adding 1% sugar and upping my oil to 3%.

jb

Offline redox

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »
jb,
That broccoli pie is a thing of beauty, you should blow it up and hang the print on your wall. That'd look great on a t-shirt, too.  :)