Author Topic: WF Pizza great in house, gets spongy in box if taken home.... help?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Pizzaguyzztop

• I Love Pizza!
Hi guys, new here - our new haven / neopolitan style WF pizza is fantastic fresh from the oven, but for people that order it to go I really want to improve the quality of the product for when they get it home.

After being in a box and take home the crust gets soft and spongy, looses the crisp.

Any suggestions?  I use corrugated, vented boxes.

When I get Pepe's to go it does not do this.

My dough flour is 70% Full strength and 30% Caputo, wet with a 24 hour+ cold ferment.

Any suggestions appreciated. ;)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: WF Pizza great in house, gets spongy in box if taken home.... help?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
PGT
The quicker the bake the worst it is as a takeout candidate....It can be reheated....but a neapolitan pizza will get crispier than diehards desire....

Really, pizza is a LOUSY takeout product........but, you would NEVER know by the amount of nationwide popularity of takeout pies...

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
But, cooling the pie down on a screen BEFORE boxing will help a great deal....but you WILL be dealing with people complaining about cold pizza.....

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
Coal ovens are incredibly dry and that dry environment creates a much crispy exterior to the crust, which then stays relatively crispy during boxed travel.

On the Neapolitan side, as Nick pointed out, there's not much you can do. I, personally, don't think Neapolitan should ever be boxed.

On the NH side, there's a few things you can do.

1. Buy a coal fired oven (not very practical, but it will give you a boxable product)
2. Use the driest wood you can possibly find to try to mimic the dryness of a coal oven. Also, you can pre-dry some of your wood for the next day in the cooling oven the night before.
3. Drop the water in your formula.  If you can't drive the moisture out with the oven, you can, to a point, put less moisture in to begin with.

pizzapan