Author Topic: Smart & Final store brand High Gluten  (Read 758 times)

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
Smart & Final store brand High Gluten
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
I have had good luck using this store brand flour for cracker crust.  It appears to be 13.3%.  Smart & Final is a California, NV, AZ regional semi-wholesale store.

I don't know the pedigree of the wheat and barley that goes into this brand, nor the processing vs. the more recognized brands popular on this forum.   But it makes for a very good crunch on cracker crust.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Smart & Final store brand High Gluten
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
I have had good luck using this store brand flour for cracker crust.  It appears to be 13.3%.

Chuck,

Nominally, the protein content of the LaRomanella flour is 13.3% (4/30 = 13.3%) but the actual percent protein may be different because of rounding factors. For example, according to FDA regulartions at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=563f0b6235da3f4c7912a64cbceec305&rgn=div8&view=text&node=21:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.6&idno=21, protein content is specified in Nutrition Facts to the nearest gram and serving size to the nearest whole number when the serving size is more than 5 grams. If you play around with numbers that are subject to the above FDA regulations, I think you will find quite a wide range of possible protein percent values. The miller of the flour should be able to provide more accurate values but many millers do not make their specs available to the public.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
With a store brand like this, it's difficult to get to the actual source.   You made an old post back in 09 or thereabouts regarding this brand being from Amerifoods Trading LLC.  I did a few minutes of web research and it appears they are part of, or own Smart & Final.  But I don't think they would be the miller.  I'm just guessing they source the product in bulk or maybe even packaged (since the store packaging is 25 & 50 lb bags) from a miller in the flour biz. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
Chuck,

I am pretty sure that the flour is packaged by the miller for Smart & Final, using Amerifoods Trading as an intermediary.

What is certain about your flour is that it is a high-gluten flour. That is stated on the bag. However, there is no defined standard for what makes a given flour a high-gluten flour. For example, King Arthur describes its bread flour as a "high-gluten bread flour". That flour has a protein content of 12.7%. Some millers go so far as to create an intermediary class of protein content called "medium gluten" flours.

Most of the really high gluten flours, with protein contents of around 14%, are typically bleached and bromated, although there are sometimes versions that may not be bleached or bromated. Smart & Final has many California locations so it is very unlikely to be selling bromated flours in its stores. So, that helps explain the use of ascorbic acid in the La Romanella flour as a bromate substitute.

The flour you have is very similar from a nutrition standpoint to the General Mills Supreme flour with specs such as shown at http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/supreme-flour-bleached-ascorbic-acid-enriched-malted-50-lb/58353000?mct=Flour&ct=high-gluten&typ=Type . As it so happens, that flour comes in 25 and 50 pound bags. And it is a legitimate high-protein flour. And, like the La Romanella flour, it is bleached. Note also the identical ingredients lists. Finally, the Supreme flour is a "West Coast" flour.

Peter

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:15:07 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan