Author Topic: I've given up looking for WM Mozz so I bought a loaf of this  (Read 771 times)

Offline redox

I've given up looking for WM Mozz so I bought a loaf of this
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
Maybe when the weather turns colder I'll order some Grande to try but until then this will do. They had a 1/2 price sale this week so I bought a whole loaf. It's good stuff, I've bought smaller amounts before and liked it.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: I've given up looking for WM Mozz so I bought a loaf of this
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »
I find it mind boggling that you have so much trouble finding WM mozzarella where you live, my local wallyworld carries 4 brands, just about every grocery chain carries several national brands plus one of their own private labels. Deli counters always have a loaf for fresh slicing, and import stores are stocked with all kinds of cheeses. Any store MUST deal with Kraft products, and Kraft is the parent company of Polly-O. I think if you talked to any grocery store manager, they could surely get you some mozzarella, just be persistent (a pain in their ass). I believe that most of the major brands come in a carton of 6 1lb. blocks, you could offer to be it by the carton! Good luck, or you could always start making your own!

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
I find it mind boggling that you have so much trouble finding WM mozzarella where you live, my local wallyworld carries 4 brands, just about every grocery chain carries several national brands plus one of their own private labels. Deli counters always have a loaf for fresh slicing, and import stores are stocked with all kinds of cheeses. Any store MUST deal with Kraft products, and Kraft is the parent company of Polly-O. I think if you talked to any grocery store manager, they could surely get you some mozzarella, just be persistent (a pain in their ass). I believe that most of the major brands come in a carton of 6 1lb. blocks, you could offer to be it by the carton! Good luck, or you could always start making your own!
There's a high end grocery store that carries Great Lakes brand WM Mozz for $9.99/lb. I bought a bit and was not impressed at all. The part skim in the photo tastes better and I got it for $2.99/lb.
The Meijer's grocery stores recently started carrying Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese and it was better than the Great Lakes brand but it wasn't that good. Besides, I'd rather buy a chunk and grate it myself. I've got a Microplane box grater so it's not too hard to grate up a pound quickly.
Anyhow, now I'm locked into Sofo's Mozz until I use that up.
You're lucky you live in a cheesy paradise!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:22:39 PM by redox »

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
I've posted this before on other cheese threads, but I'll repeat it.  Boar's Head Mozz is WM, low moisture, reasonably priced, and works great.  I usually get it sliced, but if you have good people behind the counter  they could cut you a substantial chunk, or go big  and buy a whole loaf. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

pizzapan