Author Topic: WF Pizza great in house, gets spongy in box if taken home.... help?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Pizzaguyzztop

• I Love Pizza!
Hi guys, new here - our new haven / neopolitan style WF pizza is fantastic fresh from the oven, but for people that order it to go I really want to improve the quality of the product for when they get it home.

After being in a box and take home the crust gets soft and spongy, looses the crisp.

Any suggestions?  I use corrugated, vented boxes.

When I get Pepe's to go it does not do this.

My dough flour is 70% Full strength and 30% Caputo, wet with a 24 hour+ cold ferment.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: WF Pizza great in house, gets spongy in box if taken home.... help?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
I see this as a common problem with many pizzas that are baked at a high temperature for a short time. Sometimes just reducing the temperature a bit and extending the baking time a little can have a great impact upon the quality of a DELCO pizza. You also want to make sure you are using something like a ripple board or pizza crisp sheets/mats under the pizza in the box.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
We have been to a couple WFO places that will par bake it, then you finish it off at home.   Obviously not as good as eating it fresh, but still better than a soggy, steamed out pizza.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline Pizzaguyzztop

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yea I have samples of those crisp sheets (crust saver I think is the brand, plastic mesh sheets) that I am going to play around with.  Any input on those vs the ripple board ones?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
We have looked at both and with our testing we haven't seen any real advantage of one over the other. They both provide an improvement over just placing the pizza right onto a cardboard circle and then inserting it into a box. Which brings up one other cause for soggy boxed pizzas, make sure your boxes have steam vents, and make sure they're punched open.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline pt

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
Hi Pizzaguyzztop, I have a few questions.

What are the cook times
Do you have to use Caputo
Can you post a picture of your pizzas

pizzapan