Author Topic: pizza dough and making pizza  (Read 1025 times)

Offline jerry101

• I Love Pizza!
pizza dough and making pizza
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
i moved about 15 years ago from buffalo new york to n.las vegas....was making pizza  at home in buffalo for a long time,and always had good tasting pizza,and never worried about how of this or that to put in the dough or on the pizza,family and friends use to rave about my pizza that i made....now living in las vegas i just can't duplicate what i was making back in buffalo,i don't know if its the humidity there in buffalo or a low humidity here in las vegas,it seems my dough comes out done or somewhat guwee,even though the crust is brown on the bottom ,and golden crust don't know how to remedy this situation,here is my receipe maybe you can help,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

2 3/4 cups of gold bond flour
1/8 cup of bobs red mill vital gluten flour
1 1/4 cups of water -warmed to 114-118 degrees
1 1/2 spoons of fleschmanns bread machine yeast
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 1/4 tablespoon of either brown or white sugar

sometimes i make this receipe in the bread machine and sometimes i just mix by hand
either way it comes out the same or close
i let the yeast and other ingredients activate for 20 to 30 minutes before i make the dough,either in bread machine or by hand,after spreading dough out on a 16" pan i poke hoes in dough with a fork and let stand for another 25 minutes.before putting in oven i add some evoo to the edges ...

then i add the ingrediets ( now it doesn't matter what kind of topping i put on the dough , it still has the same type of crust,as stated above.
i bake the pizza in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust golden brown..

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: pizza dough and making pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
Jerry;
Let's start with the easy things first. It sounds as if the dough isn't getting baked properly. With the much drier climate in Las Vegas it could be that your flour is somewhat drier, thus needing more water in the dough would help the dough to better expand (oven spring) during baking, resulting in a better, more thorough bake and an overall crispier finished crust. I would suggest adding at least 1/4-cup additional water to see if that helps move you in the right direction.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jerry101

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »
thanks for the advice ,i'll try that today,and let you know....

Offline jerry101

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »
well tom i added another 1/4 of water today to my pizza dough receipe,the dough was sticy and gluey,maybe i should have added just half of that because i had to add some flour to get it to the consistency that i usually get..will try reducing water next time....thanks

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »
Tom
I am trying to learn but I don't understand your reply of adding water to a mix that is already near 80% hydration. What am I missing?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
Sonny;
When he was in Buffalo he was using an 80% absorption rate. We might assume that Buffalo (N.Y.) is significantly more humid than Las Vegas, NV. As we are talking about the use of bagged flour of undetermined age, but can assume that it was stored/inventoried in a proximity close to to each city, there is a distinct possibility/probability that the flour used at the Buffalo location had a higher moisture content. When he moved to the drier, Las Vegas location the flour could have been lower in moisture content due to the desert environment, hence, if he were to add the same 80% absorption, the resulting dough would be somewhat drier/stiffer and potentially lack the oven spring properties of the dough he was making in Buffalo, so, my reasoning was that the addition of some additional water to the dough might restore the rheological properties to the dough (as they were in Buffalo) resulting in more oven spring and a resulting improved bake-out. It looks as if the additional 1/4-cup was too much, but a lesser amount might give the desired results. Like I said, this is the easiest thing (and somewhat logical in my twisted mind) to do first. If additional water/absorption doesn't work we will need to dig deeper.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
Tom
Thank you for the reply.

Sonny