Author Topic: Trying to make Pepperoni Bread like Sarcone's Bakery in Philly  (Read 954 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I tried to make pepperoni bread like Sarcone's Bakery this morning.  I found it interesting that although the dough fermented pretty much since Saturday when I purchased the pizza dough balls, the dough ball was still kind of dry.  I rolled the dough ball out and it rolled and stretched well, but should have rolled to make the skin longer.  Two pepperoni breads were made from the one dough ball.  The taste of the pepperoni bread was very much like Sarcone's Bakery pepperoni bread.  I found it interesting that the pepperoni bread gets softer as it cools.  I know my pizza dough wouldn't do that.  I am also curious as why the dough ball smelled so yeasty, but didn't bubble at all on the top when baking.  There was no sign of any fermentation bubbles on top of the dough ball either.  While rolling, not much of any fermentation bubbles could be seen if any.  Does anyone know what kind of formulation would produce a dough like that?

I am almost satisfied with the pepperoni bread this morning, but now to find a formulation to try of my own.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:19:18 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Trying to make Pepperoni Bread like Sarcone's Bakery in Philly
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
I forgot to mention in my last post that I didn't seal the edges well enough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Trying to make Pepperoni Bread like Sarcone's Bakery in Philly
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
This was the next attempt at pepperoni bread with a Sarcone's frozen dough ball.  The dough on the top of the finished pepperoni roll didn't bubble at all.  I didn't have a lot of time to prepare this pepperoni roll and the dough ball sat out for longer than I wanted.  The dough when rolling felt drier than what I am used to using, but it did stretch well when I tried to stretch it by hand.  I think I rolled too thin for this attempt.  I am not sure if I want to use the last frozen dough ball to make a pizza or do more tests on it.

I wanted to try out one of my dough balls to do the same thing, but didn't find time to do that.

Norma

pizzapan