Author Topic: New Haven pizza crawl??  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Needssalt

Re: New Haven pizza crawl??
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
I'm full just reading this.  Zuppardi's crust looks great. 

Offline JD

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
JD, I've been following your experiments, and, your 'longer bake time' pies, because you're working with very hot steel and moving it mid bake, are almost identical to my 4 minute bakes. Perhaps you're a bit Zuppardi-ish, but, with your undercrust char, you're closer to me than you are to them (and moving closer every month  >:D )

And who says you're not a fan favorite?  Anyone making great pizza is a fan favorite, and you definitely qualify for those honors.

Ha! While I will admit I am moving closer to your 4 minute bakes, I'm not yet ready to wave the white flag. I think I'm making under crusts with a little less contrast than yours and that's my preference. But my ultimate goal is an 8 minute broiler-less bake.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 07:02:50 AM »
Very nice job on the write-ups and pictures!
Dave

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »
I'm reading between the lines here a bit but I find it interesting that the overall best experience came from a place that did not have a coal oven...
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
I'm reading between the lines here a bit but I find it interesting that the overall best experience came from a place that did not have a coal oven...

Frank: That's an interesting observation. I also wonder if expectations were extremely high for Pepe's and Sally's (given their legendary status), while Zuppardi's was the relative (to most) unknown, might have had an impact. Obviously, the temperature inside Sally's did. I wish that you, who grew up with Zupp's had been there for that stop to add to that conversation. It's clearly a different style of pizza... different from any other I have ever had (and the clam pie WAS outstanding).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »
  I agree with the fact I  Expectations of Pepes and Sallys.
I will admitt the pizza in my opinion very Dissapointing. Although Legendary I guess its just not my style? Think I have been Nyified thats why Zupps was in my wheelhouse. Pepes I would do again.   Sallys will probably never see my  feet  again. And Zupp's ? every time I run up 95 I will be tempted to swing by! Visions of whole freshclams dancing in my head  :drool:
Oh and Modern will have its day with expectations a similar pie to Sallys
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

scott123

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »

Frank, are you implying some NY deck oven bias has influenced our judgement?  ;D

I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe, due to the oven induced variations in the crust, sometimes coal can produce a NY-ish pie, and that's why I went so crazy about the Pepe's slices I had a few months back, but, at the end of the day, NH isn't just the pie I tasted, but it's the whole gamut of what a coal oven can produce, and, since I haven't been exposed to the drier versions of NH style, I'm not able to give Pepe's as fair of a shake as they deserve.

Is that what you're saying?  ;D

I do know what you're capable of, and I know what other NH experts (like Scott R) are capable of, though, and I feel pretty strongly that the crust that we had that day at Pepe's was not in the same league.

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
I was just making a point and observation...don't read into it to much :)
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline pdog

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »

Sally's

If I was disappointed by Pepe's, Sally's was a crushing blow.  I don't think I've ever had a worse tomato.  It was starch-y, paste-y and cucumber-y. And the bench flour.  I never thought it was possible to get that much bench flour to stick to the bottom of a pizza.  The flour was caked on so thickly that when you tapped it against the side of your hand, the flour wouldn't come off as a powder, but, rather, in large flakes. The potato pie was a nice new flavor, but it didn't make up for Sally's failings.

And the A/C. We were told Sally's would be a sadistic experience, but this was really traumatic.  Between the metal folding chairs, the sweat box and what felt like a 2 hour wait, the discomfort was so overwhelming that I could barely think about the pizza. If I go back to Sally's (and that's a big if), it will never be with more than 4 people and never during the summer.

Thank You!! I went to UCONN and all every one ever talked about was Sally's.  I have always thought the pizza was mediocre at best. 

Have you ever tried Jonny's in Mt Vernon?  They are located on W. Lincoln Ave of the merit prk.  They are one of my favorites.  I spent 15 minutes last visit trying to grab some information out of the pizza makers.  I explained I was attempting to re-create NY pizza at home, and any tips would be appreciated. 

The gentleman kindly asked me hold old I was..... I shared, and he laughed.  I asked why he laughed, and he response was "your too old."  I laughed as I was probably 30 years younger then he was, and he replied he started making pizza when he was 11, and that I was told old to master the craft.  I knew then the secrets were not going to be shared, and thanked him and excused myself. 

Personally I loved his response.  Great pizza is a life long passion!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 03:55:39 AM »
Always heard Johnny's was real tight lipped......don't understand it, but to each his own.

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »
I respect the old guys and their tight lips and or loose lips that spew totally inacurate information.  IMO if you really want to learn a certain style pie get a job there.   I know how competitive it is in the pizza centers and people can give you a real good sounding speel that in reality is just another future pizzeria owner searching for clues.  I know many pizza makers back home and they know I am a teacher in Ohio and still are tight lipped.  I no longer ask any questions but instead study their layout, techniques, and visually take in their cheeses, sauces, doughes.  I prefer not to know really.  It makes it more of an adventure.

I left NJ in 1975 to persue music.  I have gone back regularly over the years to visit family and to be honest I find most pizzerias have gone steadily way downhill over the years.  I get all excited once I hit home and then let down when I taste the pies.  Heck, my pies taste better than most any I try back home nowadays.  The old school family run concept where you learn from the ground up is dying off and the high costs of ingredients, equipment, rent, and such, has added to the decline.  Walter

Star Taverm in Orange NJ continues to satify me. It is a whole different pie than I make.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:40:28 PM by waltertore »

Offline derricktung

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »

Star Taverm in Orange NJ continues to satify me. It is a whole different pie than I make.

Interesting... I was just at Star Tavern a few weeks ago on my trip to NY.  It's good greasy pie that has a nice crisp crust.  Enjoyable, but I'm not sure I see what the huge fuss is about with them.  Regardless, it was a tasty pizza that while enjoyable, I don't think I would go out of my way for.

Offline waltertore

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Interesting... I was just at Star Tavern a few weeks ago on my trip to NY.  It's good greasy pie that has a nice crisp crust.  Enjoyable, but I'm not sure I see what the huge fuss is about with them.  Regardless, it was a tasty pizza that while enjoyable, I don't think I would go out of my way for.

I ate star pizza many days a week for many years.  Did you get the cheese pie?  That is their besst IMO.  I haven't been there in a couple years or more.  Maybe it has slipped?  Did you notice the Chinese place across the street?  That use to be Wallace's liqour store/jazz club in the back.   It was a NJ landmark and I played there many nights and with star across the street.............................    PIZZA I done ate a ton.  Walter

Offline communist

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
Proof that so much of pizza tasting is subjective.  My perfect pie may be nothing to Joe or Stan or Tom or...     

Offline ridr44

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 05:05:19 AM »
I visited Zuppardi's the other day for the first time.  I was not at all hungry unfortunately but since I was passing on 95 I thought I'd stop in and take a look.  Could not resist, had a medium sausage pie, ate half of it and half is now in my fridge.  Unbelievable.  It is presently my favorite pie.   How do they do the crust?  Anyone?
Thanks Dan

Offline derricktung

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:13 AM »
Proof that so much of pizza tasting is subjective.  My perfect pie may be nothing to Joe or Stan or Tom or...     

Agreed.  I'm definitely in a Neapolitan style phase, so I perhaps that's why I wasn't overly impressed with Star.  Like I said, good pizza if you're nearby to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it now that I've tried it.

Offline waltertore

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Agreed.  I'm definitely in a Neapolitan style phase, so I perhaps that's why I wasn't overly impressed with Star.  Like I said, good pizza if you're nearby to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it now that I've tried it.

I agree taste is a subjective subject.  Neapoliian has never really grabbed me.  I appreciate the product but the old NY style of my youth is the root.  I was raised on deck ovens from both sides of the counter and the sound of that door banging closed and open recreates some wonderfully tasteful memories.  This is why I stick to deck ovens as a pizza maker.  Plus today there are so many toppings/cheese combos going on, the simple mozz, sauce, pie, can easily be dismissed as boring.  Walter

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
i understand....i guess.  Someone asks for recipes...I give it to them.....thats NEVER gonna hurt my business.....and, in reality...how many recipes REALLY are exclusively your own??  I can't talk for others, but for me, my recipes are MINE only in that I picked and choosed which ones I knew would sell from the many, many places I worked throughout the years.....and I KNOW that the recipes I got were NOT exclusively my bosses......commercially, recipes are ALMOST ALWAYS handed down from one employER to a savvy employEE.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
Also....i have to say thank you to everyone involved here....its a rare occasion that I can eat at more than one restaurant and EVERYONE thinks thats a great idea!.....I went to TWO restauants in Hawaii for my honeymoon...in one night...and my wife realized that restaurants were my idea of sightseeing on vacation......

Everyone was really nice....and its always a pleasure to share STUFF and TIMES with you all......your hospitality was humbling.