Author Topic: New Haven pizza crawl??  (Read 9030 times)

Offline derricktung

Re: New Haven pizza crawl??
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:13 AM »
Proof that so much of pizza tasting is subjective.  My perfect pie may be nothing to Joe or Stan or Tom or...     

Agreed.  I'm definitely in a Neapolitan style phase, so I perhaps that's why I wasn't overly impressed with Star.  Like I said, good pizza if you're nearby to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it now that I've tried it.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Agreed.  I'm definitely in a Neapolitan style phase, so I perhaps that's why I wasn't overly impressed with Star.  Like I said, good pizza if you're nearby to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it now that I've tried it.

I agree taste is a subjective subject.  Neapoliian has never really grabbed me.  I appreciate the product but the old NY style of my youth is the root.  I was raised on deck ovens from both sides of the counter and the sound of that door banging closed and open recreates some wonderfully tasteful memories.  This is why I stick to deck ovens as a pizza maker.  Plus today there are so many toppings/cheese combos going on, the simple mozz, sauce, pie, can easily be dismissed as boring.  Walter

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
i understand....i guess.  Someone asks for recipes...I give it to them.....thats NEVER gonna hurt my business.....and, in reality...how many recipes REALLY are exclusively your own??  I can't talk for others, but for me, my recipes are MINE only in that I picked and choosed which ones I knew would sell from the many, many places I worked throughout the years.....and I KNOW that the recipes I got were NOT exclusively my bosses......commercially, recipes are ALMOST ALWAYS handed down from one employER to a savvy employEE.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
Also....i have to say thank you to everyone involved here....its a rare occasion that I can eat at more than one restaurant and EVERYONE thinks thats a great idea!.....I went to TWO restauants in Hawaii for my honeymoon...in one night...and my wife realized that restaurants were my idea of sightseeing on vacation......

Everyone was really nice....and its always a pleasure to share STUFF and TIMES with you all......your hospitality was humbling.