Author Topic: New dough containers  (Read 754 times)

Online moose13

New dough containers
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
The wife brought home some new dough containers.
Made by Anchor, thick glass with snap on plastic lids.
Pretty nice!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: New dough containers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
Moose, purdy! How many hours on that ferment? At what temp?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online moose13

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
24 hour bulk, 12 hr balled.
Ambient temp between 62-75 give or take a couple.
Put these in the fridge shortly after the pic, as i will not use till tomorrow or tuesday.

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
Could you guesstimate the dough ball size and capacity of the containers? I'm trying to size my next purchase properly. I'm thinking the 7 quart size, IIRC the their options properly.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
Could you guesstimate the dough ball size and capacity of the containers? I'm trying to size my next purchase properly. I'm thinking the 7 quart size, IIRC the their options properly.

Did you mean 7 cups?

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
I really like these. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-rfscw2-camwear-2-qt-clear-round-food-storage-container/214RFSCW2.html

They are from Cambro. 2 quart, clear, and very slippery (dough balls will drop right out when you invert them) even without vegetable spray or oil in them. And, they are food safe and reasonably priced. (pic is of 16 0z. dough balls inside of them) lids sold separately.
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »
I really like these. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-rfscw2-camwear-2-qt-clear-round-food-storage-container/214RFSCW2.html

They are from Cambro. 2 quart, clear, and very slippery (dough balls will drop right out when you invert them) even without vegetable spray or oil in them. And, they are food safe and reasonably priced. (pic is of 16 0z. dough balls inside of them) lids sold separately.
Cheers,
Don
Looks good. Thanks. Do you know if it retains odors? Just in case someone uses one by accident for leftovers. I know cheap plastic can.  I was also looking at some metal ones with lids that would run a couple bucks more per container from that same site. Not a tight seal, ut not sure if that's actually not a bad thing.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
Looks good. Thanks. Do you know if it retains odors? Just in case someone uses one by accident for leftovers. I know cheap plastic can.  I was also looking at some metal ones with lids that would run a couple bucks more per container from that same site. Not a tight seal, ut not sure if that's actually not a bad thing.
These lids do shut tight.
As far as retaining stains or odors - they are brilliant!  I've used them for sauce and stored for days in the fridge... nothin'! No smell, no stain.  Same thing with very garlicky soup,  yellow curry, macaroni & cheese, etc., they are really great!

FWIW, I was cautioned by a knowledgeable and skilled forum member who I trust, (name withheld as it was a PM) who wrote:

"Watch out for those metal containers.  I have three that were banished to my garage.  The aluminum ones (which I think most are) will oxidize and leave a black yucky residue.  And, I think they stick worse than anything else.

There are few threads out there where people talk about these containers.  Some like em, most don't.  Just thought I would warn you!"

See what several others have to say - I've found that waiting a bit till several opinions on the forum are expressed can really help save time and money in addition to directing one to a solid product.  Best of luck!
Sincerely,
Don

Online moose13

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
Yes 7 cup.
This price is for four, pretty sure we bought ours one at a time.

http://www.katom.com/075-85908.html?zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=13&zmap=075-85908&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[roi]+product+listing+ads+-+Shop+By+Vendor&utm_content=Anchor+Hocking+Residential+Kitchen+Storage

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »
I have a couple local restaurant supply stores near me, all have cambro containers for sale.  For the last couple years, whenever I drive by, I always pick up a few.  Many uses, including brining chicken, storing stinky soups, rising dough, sous vide prep, etc.  They are fantastic.  The square/rectangular ones are perfect for storing (dry) goods, and the rounded ones are great for mixing doughs or whatever.  They clean easily in my weak dishwasher.

Note, there are two kinds of lids: the mostly-see-through ones, and then some colored ones.  The colored ones are not airtight.  The mostly-see-through clear ones seem to be airtight, but I haven't tested them.

The biggest beef I have with them: the local rs stores put these price stickers which are nearly impossible to get off cleanly, without scratching up the container.  Even with goo gone, mineral spirits, etc.  Irritating.

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
I didn't see either way on the site, but is the Cambro microwavable? (just thinking multi-use...)

Moose13: That's a good price. That's also the size I already use for freezing half my LO batches of meat sauce.

ButteredPizza: Stickers....bah!  Thank's for the additional tip on the Cambro.

DonJo911: Good to hear in advance on those metal containers. I wonder what the pros use. Certainly nothing that will rust, I bet.

I'm set for a few batches. I got a couple packs of those cheap ones from the grocery store this afternoon. Buys me a little time.  8)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
I didn't see either way on the site, but is the Cambro microwavable? (just thinking multi-use...)

Moose13: That's a good price. That's also the size I already use for freezing half my LO batches of meat sauce.

ButteredPizza: Stickers....bah!  Thank's for the additional tip on the Cambro.

DonJo911: Good to hear in advance on those metal containers. I wonder what the pros use. Certainly nothing that will rust, I bet.

I'm set for a few batches. I got a couple packs of those cheap ones from the grocery store this afternoon. Buys me a little time.  8)

I hear you. If you're doing controlled fermentation in a cooler - I think these are on the large size - but work very well. If I were making neapolitan dough (to be used in a WFO - not a home oven) I'd (and am planning) on using wooden proofing boxes. We have a whole cabinet in the kitchen full of my irrational desire to find better proofing containers. Of all I've tried these are the best. I look forward to seeing more of your posts/pizza's! 
Cheers,
Don

pizzapan