Author Topic: I have one of these.....  (Read 469 times)

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
I have one of these.....
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
Yes, it's a 10 ln 14" pizza pan that I use to cook up my facsimile of a NY or American pie. I am trying to evaluate if this is a good cooking tool or should I seriously consider using a Cordierite or SS substrate or other? I know nothing about thermal or conductive properties. My environment is a max 550 oven. If moving over to another substrate other than the cast iron pan I have, what differences/improvements would I expect to see?

tks   
Carl

Offline carl333

Re: I have one of these.....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »
carl333, You sould have done some homework before posting your query. If you go over to

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/the-pizza-lab-baking-steel-lodge-cast-iron-pizza.html

You'll find a pretty comprehensive response to your query. Looks like SS is the way to go if you want to take your pizza making skills or lack of up another notch. Of course, others here may chime in and leave their remarks should they wish.
Carl

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
I've had great luck with my Lodge pizza pan.....nice crispy bottom, etc.......

It's all I used before I got a Blackstone. I still use it on occasion.....
Bob

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
carl333, You sould have done some homework before posting your query. If you go over to

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/the-pizza-lab-baking-steel-lodge-cast-iron-pizza.html

You'll find a pretty comprehensive response to your query. Looks like SS is the way to go if you want to take your pizza making skills or lack of up another notch. Of course, others here may chime in and leave their remarks should they wish.
Backing steel plates are not SS Carl.

The one you have would make good thin crust or cracker pizzas....probably most of the "American style" section too.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,32310.msg319896.html#msg319896
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:32:47 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline carl333

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Tks Bob, Don't know why I was thinking SS. Now my quest to find a plate. Can you suggest the clearance around the circum. of the plate that I should consider?
Carl

Offline carl333

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »
Tks Bob, Don't know why I was thinking SS. Now my quest to find a plate. Can you suggest the clearance around the circum. of the plate that I should consider?

Never mind I found the link to sizing...
Carl

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Front to back...as tight as possible. Sides, couple inches.

Oooops, see you found a thread.    Post the link here Carl in case others are following along. Good luck and I hope you have seen where many folks source the plate locally and save mucho money..  :chef:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:48:46 PM by Chicago Bob »

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
Carl.....there's different schools of thought and techniques here for sure but....I always pre heated my lodge pan but it only takes about 25 minutes to do so. My oven goes to 550 but the lodge would always read about 570 on the IR.....

Good luck and please post some pics!

Bob
Bob

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
The Lodge 14-inch cast iron is the equivalent of a 1/4 steel plate; too thin for NY pizzas.  It definitely needs to be preheated.  Realistically, you can launch a 12-inch pizza onto a hot plate.  Forget about trying to use it from a "cold start".  You're probably better off with a Lloyd cutter pan .
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
The Lodge 14-inch cast iron is the equivalent of a 1/4 steel plate; too thin for NY pizzas.  It definitely needs to be preheated.  Realistically, you can launch a 12-inch pizza onto a hot plate.  Forget about trying to use it from a "cold start".  You're probably better off with a Lloyd cutter pan .

^^^
Bob

Offline carl333

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

Are you suggesting 3/8 min for a NY at 550? I've always heated the lodge for 1 hour prior to baking and my pizza's are never over 12". If the Lodge is equiv. to 1/4" would a 1/8" increase by going with a 3/8" steel plate worth the upgrade?
Carl

Offline carl333

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
Front to back...as tight as possible. Sides, couple inches.

Oooops, see you found a thread.    Post the link here Carl in case others are following along. Good luck and I hope you have seen where many folks source the plate locally and save mucho money..  :chef:
Hi Bob, when you say a couple of inches, are you implying 1" on each side or 2" on each side?
Carl

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
1/2" thick is the accepted and proven thickness for steel (NY pizzas), assuming your oven reaches at least 525 and you have a top broiler.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
1/2" thick is the accepted and proven thickness for steel (NY pizzas), assuming your oven reaches at least 525 and you have a top broiler.

I had my Baking Steel custom made (thanks, Andris! It's called the Kingdaddy) to the largest size that would fit in my oven while leaving 2" clearance left and right, it's 20" wide X 14" X 3/8" thick.  This size allows me to make larger, rectangular pizzas when I want.  I thought about going to 1/2", but decided against it due to the extra weight it added.  It's still heavy, but I take it with us on vacation to the Outer Banks, NC, and to my mother-n-law's in Ohio.  All of the ovens I have used it with I have been able to set to 550 degrees, and the pizzas have turned out great.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Hi Bob, when you say a couple of inches, are you implying 1" on each side or 2" on each side?
2....also, it doesn't hurt to have the plate cut in half(easier to manipulate).  ;)

pizzapan