Author Topic: Can you convert a Blackstone Oven from propane to natural gas?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline sharonsnowbird

• I Love Pizza!
Bought a Blackstone Oven but don't want the hassle of filling the tank all the time.  When I checked Blackstones site they said you coud not convert it, but I know that sometimes NO means YES, especially for the intelligent guys on this site that have come up with all kinds of ways to improve the ovens cooking capabilities.  !   :D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Can you convert a Blackstone Oven from propane to natural gas?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »
Different orifices is all as far as I know.

Offline Polo

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
You may also need a regulator.  I know that my grill came with a regulator to meter the pressure down from the house line gas pressure. 

No idea what pressure the Blackstone would call for, that would be where the manufacturers cooperation would come in.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »
I considered it, but right now propane works better for me.  You will first need to get the natural gas line to connect to the fitting at the rear of the Blackstone.   Lowes has a kit that will get you part of the way there http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=63693-40307-700-0819&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4573820&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
While some posts I have read say you don't need a regulator, it can't hurt.  You may also need a few other fittings to connect the natural gas outlet at your house to the quick connect hose, and to connect the regulator to the fitting at the rear of the Blackstone  ( I would disconnect the Blackstone hose and bring it with you to see exactly what you will need besides the fittings in that kit.   Once you have that all sorted out, you will have natural gas to the burner, but unfortunately,  propane is much richer than NG, so it won't be anywhere near as hot.  To address that, you need to drill out the orifice.  To get to that, you have to drill out the rivets holding the face of the grill -  Dave  Tampa has a great description and photos  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg273659.html#msg273659   The brass piece at red # 1 is the orifice you will need to drill.    I would unscrew it and measure the current hole.    According to this chart, http://www.hvacredu.net/gas-codes/module2/Gas%20Orifice%20Capacity%20Chart.pdf  A #42 or #43 drill bit should just fit, and a 3/32 drill bit should be too large  ( you will want someone with numbered drill bits to loan you the set, you will only need it for a short time).   If so,  I would drill it to 1/8, then check and see how it works.  If it doesn't seem strong enough, go up to a #30.  That assumes your NG is 7".  If it is different, you might have to go to a 26 or a 24 drill bit.  At about 3:20 in this video, he shows the difference in size of the orifice in a LP v.  NG orifice. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pi9IRlOgMk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pi9IRlOgMk</a>
Make sure you check your connections with soapy water before you hook it up to gas. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:17:04 PM by barryvabeach »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:14:55 AM »
I think the hassle of filling tanks is offset by having the versitility of portability, even if it's just around the house. If it turns raiony, snowing, cold etc I can move it under the larger overhang in the front of the garage and not be hamstrung to a specific spot where the natural gas hookup is. It is also very easy to take to a friends house, park, party and so on

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
If anyone is thinking of doing a conversion,  Lowes was selling off its Kitchenaid Natural Gas Conversion Kit -  710-0003 for about $65 bucks.  Here is the link to Home Depot that describes it.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-Natural-Gas-Conversion-Kit-for-Hose-and-Regulator-710-0003/204268072#.UiKPtdKsjTo  I picked one up and it looks pretty good -  if you wanted to, you might be able to just swap hoses if you have a gas grill with a quick disconnect  - though it is the large size, not the small disconnect for small grills.  I will try to pick up a few couplers so I can run the regulator under the body of the oven, instead of hanging outside in the elements, and  a tee so I don't have to disconnect my gas grill.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
I'm building some custom burners right now, and as a result have been doing a lot of reading on the subject.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that converting the blackstone to natural gas is not the same as converting a grill.  The blackstone uses a high pressure burner, where grills use low pressure burners.  Natural gas is also low pressure.  Going from low pressure to low pressure is as easy as changing an orifice.  Going from high pressure to low pressure also involves changing the orifice, but the burner will also lose 30-40% of it's capacity from what I've read.  The reason has to do with air.  The higher pressure leads to a higher gas velocity.  This higher gas velocity draws in more air.  Low pressure burners likewise have lower gas velocity and draw in less air.  The lack of combustion air leads to a less efficient burn and lower capacity.
-Jeff

Offline dave s

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • daves pizza ovens
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
It is also most important to have a flame failure device on the burner.
Fired with passion and kindled with zeal

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
Dave,  I am familiar with flame failure devices on gas stoves and water heaters, I don't think I have ever seen one on a grill or turkey fryer.

Shuboyje, so you think simply drilling out the orifice won't work or is it that I will only get slightly cooler at full out operation?  I rarely go to top speed on the BS,  though losing 40% would be a problem.   

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
It would work, just possibly produce a burner that outputs 30-40% less then it's 60,000 btu rating on high pressure propane.  I think the best route forward would be to have somebody who already has a NG grill with all the fittings and hookups to change the orifice on the blackstone and try it.  It might work just fine, but I've found references on home brew forums from people with similar burners who confirm the drop in output.
-Jeff

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »
Jeff, I am on the fence now.  I did see that if all else fails, I can get a NG burner assembly that is more than big enough ( 100,000 BTU 's )  http://www.cpapc.com/23-Tip-Round-Nozzle-Jet-Burner-natural-gas-P469C244.aspx  but that would be a lot of work.  Also, as you pointed out, the flames from the propane come shooting out, and go past the turntable like a torch .  It is possible that I could get  the same 60,000 btu from natural gas, but have a different type of oven because the flame wouldn't shoot as high.  I will see how long this tank lasts, and if it dies pretty quickly, I will go for the conversion.

Offline dave s

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • daves pizza ovens
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Dave,  I am familiar with flame failure devices on gas stoves and water heaters, I don't think I have ever seen one on a grill or turkey fryer.
Maybe I'm misreading what you are trying to do, but if you are using a burner for the inside of an oven then the potential for filling a hot oven with unburnt fuel can be highly dangerous.

My apologies, I just found a pic of a Blackstone oven and you are right. It wouldn't fill the chamber with gas so you don't need a flame failure device with that set up.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:54:07 PM by dave s »
Fired with passion and kindled with zeal