Author Topic: Cracker Crust Recipe  (Read 912 times)

Offline mrwes40

• I Love Pizza!
Cracker Crust Recipe
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Used the cracker crust recipe this weekend, and made two pizzas. I cut the dough recipe into two halves and made my two pizzas. Is the standard recipe designed for one or two crusts?

Thanks,
Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Cracker Crust Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
Bill,

There are several cracker crust recipes on the forum. Which one did you use?

Peter

Offline mrwes40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:53:23 AM »
Peter
This is the recipe I used. After a 24 retard in the refrigerator, I divided in two halves and rolled both out. Turned out pretty good. I was just wondering if the recipe is designed for two pizzas or not.

Dough Recipe

1 pound (or about 3 1/2 cups) high gluten flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
Bill,

The recipe you used is the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php. That recipe is intended to make one pizza but with some dough left over as a result of making the skin larger than the pan and trimming off the excess.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
Bill, Pete,
With that basic recipe and quantities, I've been making two 11-12" pies.  Very thin. I'd guess in the .075" thickness range

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
Bill, Pete,
With that basic recipe and quantities, I've been making two 11-12" pies.  Very thin. I'd guess in the .075" thickness range

Chuck,

Using the weights that DKM provided for his dough, the total dough weight comes to 23 ounces. Halve that for two pizzas, and you get 11.5 ounces per pizza. If the pizza is 11", the thickness factor comes to 11.5/(3.14159 x 5.5 x 5.5) = 0.1210. For a 12" pizza, the corresponding thickness factor is 0.1017. If there was some waste in making the two pizzas, the thickness factors would be less in such cases.

I and a few other members played around with DKM's recipe and even came up with a thread devoted almost entirely to that recipe, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.0.html. I ended up with thickness factors of around 0.05-0.06.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
Peter
My error. You are correct.  I split my dough into three balls just over 7 oz each.  A 12" pie from 7 oz was very thin.

Offline mrwes40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »
Bill,

The recipe you used is the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php. That recipe is intended to make one pizza but with some dough left over as a result of making the skin larger than the pan and trimming off the excess.

Peter

Peter,

Yes, that was the recipe. Next time I'll try it as one pizza. Also, I don't have a cutter pan, so I just used my pizza peel and pre-cooked the crust for 4 minutes at 500F. Removed, sauced and added toppings and put back on the stone to finish. It was a very good pizza.

Also, are you guys rolling out your pizza with a rolling pin?

Thanks for you help,

Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »
Bill,

I used a rolling pin. But I also warmed up the dough to make it easier to roll out.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:05:54 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan