Author Topic: My Detroit to Me!  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
My Detroit to Me!
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
Finally got my detroit pans in last week, this is my first attempt! After scanning for weeks on Norma's, Craigs, and other members post, Im finaly able to post one of my own. :) Thank you all for such great work and determination that has come before me. It has been great encouragement. This is my first time at this style of pie, and I wasn't sure what to expect. And in doing so, I took some of what I've been learning and branched out into something a bit different by using a preferment for this pie. It was good, but Im working on better and lighter, and overall, balance. Most of this pie stuck to the pan and the cheese on the crust was way over burnt/overcooked, bottom was crispy though and maybe just a bit to oily. Topping were Sargento Low Moisture Mozz, Cabot NY Xtra Charp Aged Chdr around the edges, Hormel Pep, and store brand crushed tomato mixed with fresh basil (will be going to SM soon). But my family still managed to gobble it all up! here are the specs

For the Poolish:
  500 grams KABF
  500 grams 105 degree H20
  3     grams IDY
  Hand mixed and rested 12 hours

Final Mix:
  500 grams KABF
  300 grams 105 degree H20
  30   grams sea salt
  20   grams veg oil
  3     grams IDY
  Hand mixed with the 12hr Poolish
  Rested for 5 and put in pans for 3
  Baked at 500 for 12mins

Offline TXCraig1

Re: My Detroit to Me!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
Those look awesome!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »
Excellent job with your pics Markus, thanks!  ;)
I don't think the crust cheese is even close to being burnt...looks like a great first try at a tricky to bake DS pizza.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »
Thanks for the cheers gentlemen, on this journey of mines for all things pizza. Having took time to blog things, while going about everyday day busyness of life, has given me a humble respect for the both of you, and all the other members here that have took time to share and post there experiences. Great job PMdotcom ;) OH!, and the 24 DSP doughs are resting in there respective pans as I type  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Markus,

I agree they look awesome!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »
 ;D Thanks Norma!

I got a good ways to go before catching up with some of the quality of your work. But this DS here is my second attempt! :) This is the exact same dough out the batch from the previous but allowed to sit for closer to 24hrs, and maybe about 6 in the freezer.(Don't know why, fear of over rising I guess) Anyways, It stretched easily into the pans where they sat for a couple hours, then topped with just the mozz from the previous, pep, sausage, and this time sauced before going into the 500 degree oven for 12 mins, with just a sprinkle of mozz on top. The flavor of this DSP blew the last out of the water both crust and toppings! I think cooking the mediocre off brand sauce on this one made a difference as do most mediocre sauces do. But the crust on this one had so much more character and flavor. It probably could have use another few minutes on a lower setting, but the slight layer of gumminess with this one I kinda enjoyed. This was a 270gram pie but will probably go up to 280 next time. And the desert pie I got from craig and norma I overcooked big time, with the addition of nutmeg. It was dry, hard, crispy, and I should've pulled it at 8mins instead of 13 against my better judgement. All in all, still a good pizza day!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:30:49 PM by Markus M. »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »
Markus,

I think you are way ahead of me in the short while since you are making your Detroit style pizza.  You are already using a preferment which I have never done.   8)

You are a natural!  Great job again!  ;D :chef:

I have to tell you a story that I thought was somewhat funny.  I had a man and think someone that was his daughter stop at my pizza stand yesterday and that the man said he was from Detroit.  He asked me just what is a Detroit style pizza.  I explained and then he understood, but he said no one he ever heard of in Detroit ever calls those kind of pizzas Detroit style.  :-D He said my pizzas did look like pizzas made in the steel pans in Detroit though.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the complement  :) but I feel I definitely got some work to do to catch up to you and some of the other members on the forum. I haven't yet reached that light and fluffy look and texture of the DSP that you've been pushing at your market over time. Yours have stood up over time to be good enough to be sold, and it seems like from the feedback that you get, people seem to be happy. Even the guy that stopped at your stand took enough notice to entice in conversation and learn something native to where he was from. Good job! Its amazing to me to find out how many different styles of pizza there are, and that not many people know about.

Offline mr_melvis

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:08:11 AM »
I posted this in the new members forum - this is a picture of my first DSP attempt (sorry - just one photo).  Used Widmers Brick cheese (100% Widmers around edge, Widmers and mozz in a 70/30 ratio in center, fresh onion/green pepper/parsley/basil/oregano from the garden - pan came from Shawn Randazzo.  We thought it was excellent - will continue to tweak...