Author Topic: Emergency Dough success  (Read 1385 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Emergency Dough success
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:57:01 AM »
I posted this over on the equipment forum under the Blackstone thread as well, but I thought it might help some folks here too.

I looked up Peter's list of Emergency doughs and picked the first NY style on his list, for no other reason that it was first. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27251.html#msg27251    Reply 407

My flour was the Smart & Final store brand LaRomanella approx 13.3% gluten, malted (Anyone interested in splitting a bag of KASL in the LA/OC area, PM me)

I started the dough mixing before 7:00 pm, 8 mins in the KA standmixer, 5 mins hand stretch and fold, 5 mins rest, repeat for a total of three 5 minute stretch and fold sessions, form a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel at room temp (74F ish).   (I started with 95F water).  2 hr fermentation at room temp, carefully hand stretched to a 13" ish pie.  Topped with EVOO brushed lightly to prevent soggy center (except cornice), Classico jar sauce, buffalo mozz, fresh cut pepperoni.  Slight amount of regular flour on a wood peel and some semolina too. 

Fired the Blackstone up about 10 mins before launch and set on low (I'm getting faster at making a pie :chef:). 

The dough was very extensible and not too elastic.  Just about right, if I knew what "right" was  ??? ;D.  It made for the easiest opening pie I've made to date and it was easy to keep uniform thickness.  Very nice.  :chef:

Came out to a 650F lower stone.  Turned up the BSO to WFO for about 4-5 mins, checking lower stone temp by going to low burner to reduce measurement error.  Launched at 750F lower, 770F dome, burner on low.  The launch was marred slightly with a little roll under of an edge.  Turned up the burner to WFO at about 30 seconds and left it there for approx 45-60 seconds, watching the color of the cornice and center (Lets just call that "Blackstone doming").  Reduced heat to low for remainder with a total time of approx 2 mins 15-20 secs.   

The pie was very nice.  I think it would stand up well to the 24 hr ferment pies I've been making.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:01:53 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Emergency Dough success
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
Nice looking pie. Thanks for the write up.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:06:05 AM »
Made another e-dough pie tonight.  Same recipe, launched at 800F deck, 900F dome.  Higher temp made for softer crumb.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »
Made another e-dough pie tonight.  Same recipe, launched at 800F deck, 900F dome.  Higher temp made for softer crumb.
Chuck,

I can't speak to a BlackStone unit, but a high-temperature bake with a short bake time will often lead to a softer crust and crumb. That usually isn't a problem unless, of course, one wants a less soft and more crispy or more chewy crust as might be typical, for example, of a thin crust pizza. In that case, one would use a lower bake temperature and a longer bake time to let the crust dry out more. A short, high-temperature bake can especially become a problem, however, if the skin is thick, as in an American style crust, in which case the crust may not bake completely, leading to pasty or uncooked or undercooked parts of the crust. This situation can be further aggravated if there are also a lot of toppings and/or a lot of cheese on the pizza.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 02:13:27 AM »
I did another batch of emergency dough per the above recipe except I substituted Firestone DBA beer for the water.  Nice pie, good dough flavor, good spring.  Launched in the BSO at 750F deck/800F+ dome, burner on low most of the time with a short WFO burn at the end.  Total time, ?  probably in excess of 3:00.   A little more crisp than a NY, but nice.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:17:35 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
BTW, I was in a hurry and bumped the oven up to approx 95-100F and placed the dough ball (in a covered bowl) in the oven for approx 1 1/2 hrs.  Actually, I did another dough ball without beer (water) as well.  So, two dough balls in bowls went into the oven for 1 1/2 hrs. 

The water based dough had set on the counter for approx 20-30 minutes while I made the beer dough.  So, it went a total of 2 hrs of fermentation while the beer dough was only 1 1/2 hrs @ 95-100F. 

I think the 1 1/2 hrs @ 95-100F was about perfect.  The water batch was slightly over fermented IMO.

I'm wondering if I can shorten the fermentation to 1 hr with more heat.  Possibly 110-115F?  Anyone have any knowledge about these temps?

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »
Since I opened a new bag of KASL today, I just had to do a pie with it.  I used the same basic recipe, but bumped the IDY to 5/8 tsp and set the small plastic bowl with the doughball in a larger mixing bowel with 100F  water and covered with a dishtowel.  1hr 15 mins later it was over blown.  I think 45-55 mins would have been about right.  But I think I'm on track for 1hr dough.  The pie had ok spring.  I think more iiterations are needed.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
In my pursuit of the 1hr dough, I did another with KASL yesterday. 

100%, High-gluten flour (KASL), 7.14 oz. (202.26 g.), 1 3/4 c. plus 1 t.
63%, Firestone DBA Beer, 4.49 oz. (127.42 g.), @ 85F.
1.75%, Salt, 0.12 oz. (3.54 g.), 5/8 t.
1%, Oil (extra-virgin olive oil), 0.07 oz. (2.02 g.), a bit less than 1/2 t.
Instant dry yeast (IDY), 5/8 tsp

I used a KA stand mixer for this small amount of dough. 

The flour was placed in the mixing bowl, IDY was added, a mixing blade/paddle (KA-5L) was used to mix the dry ingredients.  Then the beer was microwaved about 10-15 secs to get the 85F, salt added to the beer and desolved.  The beer was slowly added to the dry ingredients until half the beer was used.  I changed out the KA-5L plastic  paddle at this point (I have broken one of these recently) and put the C-hook in, resumed mixing at lowest setting while adding the liquid.  When the dough began to ball, I added the oil.  Once a single ball had formed, I put my spiral hook in the mixer and continued for 5 mins at the lowest speed on the mixer.  5 min rest, 2 1/2 min mix, 2 1/2 min hand stretch/knead, 5 min rest, repeat the mix and stretch.  5 min rest, ball it and place in a small plastic bowl which was placed in a large mixing bowl with 100F water half full and covered with a doubled dishtowel.   The picture is after 60 mins of fermentation.  The rise happens very quickly and the difference in 5 mins is noticeable.  I think about 5 mins less rise time would be ok.  The dough handled well.  It was slightly elastic, but not bad at all.  I tried my crude hand tossing and actually got some stretch ::) but mostly I hand stretched. 

I launched it on my Blackstone at 720F deck, 750F dome, burner on low.  2 mins at low, 20 secs on high, pressure regulator wide open (highest pressure).

I probably should have stopped the bake at 10 secs of high burner (2 min 10 sec total) as this pie is overdone for me.

So, I ended up with about 1 1/2 hrs to make the dough, another 15-20 mins to form and top the pie.

Toppings were Classico jar sauce, sliced ripe tomatos that were dried between papertowels for an hour, Angelo & Franco mozz, Bel-G mozz, Tillamook chedder, Smoked Gouda, pepperoni, basil, baked then fresh grated parmesan added while hot as well as additional basil. EVOO was rubbed on the formed dough before any toppings added.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:58:15 AM by bbqchuck »