Author Topic: Pizza Barbone in Hyannis, MA  (Read 708 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Pizza Barbone in Hyannis, MA
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
I stayed in Orleans, MA on Cape Cod with my wife's extended family last week. Prior to arriving I did a little research and discovered that Jason O'Toole has been running the Cape's only true Neapolitan pizza place since 2012. Its called Pizza Barbone at 390 Main St. in Hyannis. That's the town where I used to catch the ferry back and forth to Nantucket, where I worked while in college.

Jason runs a Stefano Ferrara oven, and man, does he know how to run it! He's using kiln-dried wood (at a $$$ubstantially higher cost to him than he has to!) to keep the flames rolling over the top of the dome, and intermittently has the swirling black layer smoke hovering about 10 inches of the deck. He had no problem keeping 5 pies in at a time during multiple rushes that occurred during our visit, and was comfortably chatting us up the whole time! Great selection of classic (Marinara, Margherita, and Sopressata) as well as inspired toppings such as "Pistachio Pesto" and a Broccoli Rabe/Roast pork pie that was excellent. The crust is as tender as you could want, and most of the pies demonstrated VERY nice leoparding on the cornicone. I did not time the pies but I would say 80-90 seconds MAX would be fair.

We had three teenagers and two adult Neapolitan neophytes with us. Needless to say there were NO leftovers, and in fact we ordered four or five ADDITIONAL pizzas to go! These were eaten within minutes of us arriving home, 30 minutes later.

All in all a FANTASTIC find, whether you are talking Cape Cod dining or Neapolitan pies in general. These were definitely up there in quality with the pies we had on our recent trip to NYC.

John K

http://www.pizzabarbone.com/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8esYJwVKc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8esYJwVKc</a>

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:36:10 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Pizza Barbone in Hyannis, MA
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »
Very Nicereview ! Member John Dellavechia discover him  Last year as well. He also has a garden on his roof where he grows his own ingredients!   and top of that runs 2 Moblie WFO's ( thats how he started )  all season weather permitting as well Got it goin on !! and a great guy  and a friend  too ! Cant wait to make it up there as well !
John
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:26:05 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:04:17 AM »
Very Nicereview ! Member John Dellavechia discover him  Last year as well. He also has a garden on his roof where he grows his own ingredients!   and top of that runs 2 Moblie WFO's ( thats how he started )  all season weather permitting as well Got it goin on !! and a great guy  and a friend  too ! Cant wait to make it up there as well !
John

John,

In my excitement/haste I must have spelled the name wrong when doing a forum search! In retrospect, it was probably John (dellavecchia's) review that turned me on to this place to begin with! Powers that be: certainly feel free to transfer this into dellavecchia's thread! No offense will be taken!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »
We were there in July- really enjoyed the food. I knew about him from an earlier post as well, & from seeing his kickstarter campaign.
I liked his idea of a "lunch special" pizza, that was about 8". It gave me the idea of making smaller doughballs for a more "tapas" idea ..
--clay