Author Topic: DeNino's in Brick NJ and Staten Island  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Chaze215

DeNino's in Brick NJ and Staten Island
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
I have been hearing a lot of chatter regarding this place lately. In fact, at a dinner with my family last night, my uncle asked me if i had been to DeNino's. When I said "No, is it good?", his reply was "For my last meal I would have pizza, and it would be from DeNino's". So, I dragged my wife there for lunch today  ;D I thought it was very good compared to other places in the area. The one drawback about the pie was that they must have cornmeal mixed with their bench flour because not only can you feel it on the underside of the pie, but every once in a while I would get a bite of burnt cornmeal which was not pleasant. I tried to get a peak at the guy making the pies, but the way it was set up i was unable to see  >:(  Has anyone else had DeNino's in Brick or Staten Island?
Chaz

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
Re: DeNino's in Brick NJ and Staten Island
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
I have been hearing a lot of chatter regarding this place lately. In fact, at a dinner with my family last night, my uncle asked me if i had been to DeNino's. When I said "No, is it good?", his reply was "For my last meal I would have pizza, and it would be from DeNino's". So, I dragged my wife there for lunch today  ;D I thought it was very good compared to other places in the area. The one drawback about the pie was that they must have cornmeal mixed with their bench flour because not only can you feel it on the underside of the pie, but every once in a while I would get a bite of burnt cornmeal which was not pleasant. I tried to get a peak at the guy making the pies, but the way it was set up i was unable to see  >:(  Has anyone else had DeNino's in Brick or Staten Island?

I was at the one in Brick.  I was under the impression that it wasn't cornmeal, but breadcrumbs on the bottom.  The pies I was served were great.  I only had plain though.  A lot of people at the place were ordering buffalo chicken pies there, which I usually shy away from.  IMO, if I want buffalo chicken, I'll order wings, which I did.  Those were also fantastic.

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
It's been a solid 7 years since I've been to the shore, but, the next time I'm down there, I'm going to have to swing by there.  That looks pretty amazing to me.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
Scott, if you're ever in the area or plan on going there let me know. Im about 15 minutes from there. What do you think is giving it the crunch? My guess was some cornmeal, but I guess you would have to experience it.
Chaz

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
Chaz, this screams long baked pizza.  After my trip to Zuppardi's in New Haven, with their 10+ minute bakes, I've tempered my feelings about long baked pizza a bit.  I still feel that you pay a bit of an oven spring price with longer bakes, but, in the right hands, they can be puffy and crisp.  I do think, though, that what Zuppardi's does is incredibly difficult and that people can't throw some dough together, bake it for 10 minutes and expect something Zuppardi-ish. 10+ minutes is more along the lines of a crispy bread- and that's kind of a different skill set.

My best guess is that it's a 10 minute pizza, and that's where the crunchiness is coming from.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Scott,

I know nothing about the Zuppardi style of pizza, but based on what has been reported on their pizza, I am inclined to agree with you. I would also guess that the hydration of the Zuppardi dough is on the high side. That would allow enough time to let the crust get cripsy with good color and not end up with a cracker crust or a thicker one that is underbaked in parts. I agree with you that this is harder to do than most might think.

Peter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »
Scott, I really didnt think about the bake time. And I usually time bakes when I get pizza. Yeah I know, I'm a pizza geek ;D So....the next time I go there, I will time a bake and also ask some questions  ;) That being said, there is definitely something on the bottom. Ben says breadcrumb-like, I'm thinking cornmeal. Get to DeNino's and see what you think!  ;D
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
salt? looks cracker ISH not full on but flat conicione and lower thickness factor?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online scott123

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »
I would also guess that the hydration of the Zuppardi dough is on the high side.

That's possible. Since I've never work with high hydration/slow bake, it's Greek to me.  I've done low hydration relatively slow bake (7 minutes) for New Haven style, but that's very different than Zuppardi's

John, this isn't a thin crust. Here's a typical cross section of one of their pies:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fKK-kjC_5js/ToZO3nwBgVI/AAAAAAAAAO0/bb-INQUwXew/s400/closeup.jpg

pizzapan