Author Topic: HELP: Coating the cornice?  (Read 765 times)

Offline mistachy

HELP: Coating the cornice?
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
I was wondering what could I expect from coating the cornice with olive oil before baking? I'm using shortening in the recipe because i want my dough to be softer and I dont want the dough to be as crispy on the bottom, but I want my cornice to nice and brown. Would coating the cornice with olive oil help it brown quicker while leaving my bottom nice and soft?

When I bake at high temperatures, the crust just gets too hard on the bottom, so I have lowered the temperature and the pizza consistency came out great, but the only issue was the cornice wasn't all that brown. The bottom is soft and light brown, droopy like i enjoy my pizzas.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: HELP: Coating the cornice?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »
I think that is what Pizzeria Mozza does if I remember correctly.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Craig, Mistachy
what would cause dough to get hard at high temps?

I used a Tom L/Pete-zza recipe from reply 31 here.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.20.html

Just flour, water,  salt, yeast, oil.  The flour I used was high gluten malted but not bromated. I baked pies with this dough at temps from 500 to approx 1000F using stone and steel decks.  The dough was never hard. 

Would an ingredient like sugar or honey cause hardness at higher temps?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
Tom Lehmann gives advice at brushing the skin with a light coating of oil and what you can expect from doing that at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6888&hilit=coating+skin+with+oil#p45554 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
A little humourous memory...
Back 35-40 years ago, my sister cooked her husband and I pizza.  I recall the dough being tough enough to loosen teeth and the cornice being hard enough to worry about breaking teeth. :-D. My sis never could cook >:D. Still can't.   She never wanted to learn from my mom.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
mistachy , when I first started making pizza, I was using my home oven. Like you my cornice was not getting the color I wanted. I chose to spray the rim of the pie dough before baking with EVOO. This worked well. As I learned to redirect the heat to the top of the pie in my home oven, I found that the spray oil was no longer necessary. If you can increase your top heat I believe you may have similar results.

Good Luck

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles