Author Topic: Trying to make Pepperoni Bread like Sarcone's Bakery in Philly  (Read 1977 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I tried to make pepperoni bread like Sarcone's Bakery this morning.  I found it interesting that although the dough fermented pretty much since Saturday when I purchased the pizza dough balls, the dough ball was still kind of dry.  I rolled the dough ball out and it rolled and stretched well, but should have rolled to make the skin longer.  Two pepperoni breads were made from the one dough ball.  The taste of the pepperoni bread was very much like Sarcone's Bakery pepperoni bread.  I found it interesting that the pepperoni bread gets softer as it cools.  I know my pizza dough wouldn't do that.  I am also curious as why the dough ball smelled so yeasty, but didn't bubble at all on the top when baking.  There was no sign of any fermentation bubbles on top of the dough ball either.  While rolling, not much of any fermentation bubbles could be seen if any.  Does anyone know what kind of formulation would produce a dough like that?

I am almost satisfied with the pepperoni bread this morning, but now to find a formulation to try of my own.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:19:18 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Trying to make Pepperoni Bread like Sarcone's Bakery in Philly
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
I forgot to mention in my last post that I didn't seal the edges well enough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
This was the next attempt at pepperoni bread with a Sarcone's frozen dough ball.  The dough on the top of the finished pepperoni roll didn't bubble at all.  I didn't have a lot of time to prepare this pepperoni roll and the dough ball sat out for longer than I wanted.  The dough when rolling felt drier than what I am used to using, but it did stretch well when I tried to stretch it by hand.  I think I rolled too thin for this attempt.  I am not sure if I want to use the last frozen dough ball to make a pizza or do more tests on it.

I wanted to try out one of my dough balls to do the same thing, but didn't find time to do that.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
I decided to try another attempt at making pepperoni bread like Sacrone's Bakery at 9th St. Italian Market this past Tuesday.  Some of the photos of the pepperoni bread from Sacrone's are posted at  Reply 80 (second photo down) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19792.msg273720#msg273720 and at Reply 82 (last photo down) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19792.msg273724#msg273724 I also posted some photos at Reply 83 and 84 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19792.msg273726#msg273726 and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19792.msg273728#msg273728

I took two frozen dough balls along to market.  The one dough ball was left out to defrost.  I have no idea how much dough Sacrone's uses to make their pepperoni rolls.  I cut one regular size dough ball in half and then rolled it.  The pepperoni was put on one side of the dough and then it was rolled up.  A piece of the dough was cut off at the end of the roll.  Then the roll was put into a lightly greased Detroit style pan.  The dough was then proofed and then oil was brushed on the top.  When the dough was baking more oil was brushed on the roll because it didn't appear to be getting brown enough. 

Since I can't turn my oven at market down to try an attempt on the pepperoni bread, the bottom appeared to be browning a lot more than the top.  The pepperoni roll was then taken out of the pan and put on a Lloyd's disk and put back into the top deck of the oven.

After the pepperoni bread was cooled down mostly all of the way it was put into a plastic bag. 
When the pepperoni roll was cut, I saw I didn't put nearly enough pepperoni on the dough before rolling.  I also think it wouldn't have had to roll the dough up as many times as I did.  The pepperoni bread was soft like Sacrone's.  Maybe another another attempt is in order.  Part of the pepperoni roll is still soft today.

If anyone has any suggestions as what I should try differently let me know.  I really don't think the proof would have been needed but don't know.

Norma   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
Norma

Offline wolver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 01:50:20 AM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
Wood fired oven: Pizza Party 70x70

A Pizza a day keeps the doctor away! :-)

wordpress