Author Topic: Nice Youtube video: NY Pizza tour  (Read 2147 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Nice Youtube video: NY Pizza tour
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »

Keste Neapolitan on Bleecker St.
Johns coal fired on Bleecker St.
Joes NY Street on Carmine St.
Josh

scott123

Re: Nice Youtube video: NY Pizza tour
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »
Neapolitan pizza came from Naples? Really? :-D

Seriously, though, the video had a few interesting parts.

I don't know the exact date the video was shot, but, since it was published in March, I think it's safe to assume that the Keste pie was under Giorgia's tutelage.  Too much charring on the undercrust, but it's doesn't match up with the horror story Larry's friend Artie was describing to me regarding their last trip. Artie's experience must have been an off day.

John's pie doesn't look half bad.  Being coal, it's always a bit of a roll of the dice, but if I got that pie, I'd be pretty pleased.

I take a little umbrage of Scott's use of the word 'dynamic' when describing Joe's.  None of the people on our tours ever referred to Joe's pizza as being dynamic.

An interesting watch, none the less. Thanks for posting the link.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:17:03 PM by scott123 »

Offline Rick M

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
In that same area you have "Olio e Piu", about a mile away "Via Tribunali" and across the river into Brooklyn, "Paulie Gee's and one of my favorites "Roberta's"   all Neapolitan.  I am fortunate to live in NJ and have to go into the city on business once a week.  Talk about mixing business with pleasure!
It was love at first Slice!

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »
As I approach my allotted three score and ten, I occasionally reflect on missed opportunities.  There really aren't very many, but the one that really frosts my gray haired old butt is that I worked in Manhattan for years and never got serious about pizza.  To make matters worse, much of that time was on lower Broadway, between Houston and Prince. Please, don't anyone point out to me all that I missed out on.  :(

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”   Bummer, dude. :'(

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
I'll be in NYC very soon and plan to hit John's (Bleecker St), Joe's (Carmine St), and Keste (Bleecker St). Before I head back to Richmond, I have a pizza bus tour lined up with Scott's Pizza Tours which claims to hit a bunch of places in the boroughs. Pizza heaven for sure! Can't wait!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:04:11 PM »
Steve, the number of authentic domestic Neapolitan pizzas is growing- almost on a daily basis.  Most people in major cities have access to a great Neapolitan pie.  What most people don't have access to, though, is a great NY style slice.  If you're coming to NY, definitely, don't miss out on Neapolitan (Keste, Forcella, Motorino), but you really want to taste the pizza that NY is known for- which, for the most part, can't be obtained anywhere else.  Joe's presents itself as the iconic NY style slice, and 20 years ago, it was, but, ask anyone on this forum who's been there during the last decade and they'll tell you it's about as lackluster and generic as you can get.

I recently had the chance to try Williamsburg Pizza. Right now, for a slice, this is the place to go. It blows Joes, DiFara, Best and everywhere else in NY out of the water. It's not perfect- nowhere is, but it's in a different class than the usual suspects.

As far as I know, Williamsburg isn't on Scott's radar yet, so if you're going to experience it, you've got to make the trip yourself.  You also shouldn't miss Paulie Gees (basically Neapolitan with crazy toppings), also in Brooklyn, although Scott might take you there.

The M subway line runs from midtown Manhattan to about 3 blocks away from Williamsburg Pizza. The J and G lines are also very close.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:22:36 PM by scott123 »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Thanks, transportation is a major concern for me. I want to avoid cabs as much as possible so I'm studying the MTA subway maps. I'd love to try Williamsburg pizza so I might head over there. Any other suggestions would be great. I'm staying in the Theater District near 40th Street and 9th Avenue.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:23:26 AM »
It's easy to get anywhere on the subway. Hit Motorino for sure - their Brussels sprouts pie and soppressata pies are two of the best pies anywhere. Artichoke and Luzzo's are both right around the corner from Motorino. Shoot over to Brooklyn from there and hit Best, Roberta's, and or Paulie Gees.

Go down to Juliana's on the Subway. Talk to Patsy Grimaldi, have a few pies, and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you are up for a trip deeper into Brooklyn, Franny's is great, and it's easy on the subway from there to Di Fara if that's on your bucket list.

Forcella is also very good, and they have great ovens  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
Steve, Google Maps is a great way to plan your routes around, it's got the subway system down pat.

Artichoke, Luzzo's and Motorino are all in the East Village.  Take the A/C train to 14th street, then the L to 1st avenue.  The L also runs to Best and Roberta's.

I have to disagree with Craig's suggestion about walking the Brooklyn Bridge, unless you've got a great tolerance for the cold.  But he's right about hopping on the train after Artichoke, Luzzo's and Motorino to head to Best, Roberta's and Paulie Gee's.

I think the best order once you're out of Manhattan and into (north) Brooklyn is take the L to Roberta's (morgan Ave stop), then hop back on the L to hit Best (bedford ave stop), then take the G up to Paulie Gee's (greenpoint ave stop).  After Paulie Gee's, you can take the G down to Williamsburg pizza (broadway stop) then the M back to 42nd st and 6th ave  in Manhattan.

Of course you could also do all of that in reverse, as long as you're not at Paulie Gee's before 6pm (5 on weekends).

Juliana's is easiest from the F train, and then a 10-15 minute walk to the 2/3 which can take you to Franny's.  The Q can take you from Franny's to Di Fara and back to manhattan.  Lucali is also on the F train.  But if you wanted to get really adventurous and a long ride you could take the G after your North Brooklyn trek down to Lucali.

Also, Don Antonio by Starita is nearby your hotel at 50th and 8th.  And I also have to recommend Sal and Carmine's on 102 and Broadway.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips.  :)

Sadly, I doubt that I will be able to hit all the suggested places due to a lack of time (I'll only have 3 days and my wife wants to do other things besides trying pizza... yeah, yeah, I know, but I tried to convince her otherwise!).

I think I'm going to end up doing Joes / Johns / Keste on our way back from the Statue of Liberty tour, then we're going to do Scott's Pizza Bus Tour before we fly home.

Offline Peasant

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »
Check with your tour guide before eating as you might hit some redundant pizza joints (not necessarily a bad thing though).

If you do venture into Brookyn, from Greenpoint to Bushwick to DUMBO, in any order, a car (there are a few services that you can call for pick up)/cab (easier found on big streets like Manhattan Ave, Beford Ave, Grand) is the most efficient.  There is a lot of work going on the L & G trains right now so check the MTA website for services alerts http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/tripplanner.aspx

The Brooklyn Bridge walk is a NYC visitor's classic and I always take visitors across at least one way.  On a clear day/night, the view is gorgeous and the DUMBO area is really nice.  If your wife is looking for something other than pizza and you're here on the 24th, http://www.smorgasburg.com/is in DUMBO on Sun. and you can get Juliana's.  PizzaMoto is well known here but I'm not a fan; they're usually at Smorgasburg too.

Have fun picking your pies!

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips.  :)

..... Sadly, I doubt that I will be able to hit all the suggested places due to a lack of time (I'll only have 3 days and my wife wants to do other things besides trying pizza...

If your travel takes you to Chinatown, I recommend the soup dumplings at Joe's Ginger. http://www.joeginger.com/

Craig took me there on the Chau Tour, a memorable stop.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

scott123

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
Steve, Joe's, Keste and John's are appealing because of their proximity (Scott does a walking tour), but, as far as must-taste pizzas go... I hate to sound like a broken record, but they leave a lot to be desired.

Keste is definitely worth a trip, but... it's the same owner as Don Antonio (Roberto), so the pizzas will be pretty much identical. Don Antonio is actually larger, so they have a greater selection of specialty pizzas, including the Montanara (fried pizza).  Don Antonio is right in the theater district, so, if that's where you're staying, that's the easiest to make happen. Don Antonio also has pretty late hours and is open from lunch to dinner.  Based upon where you're staying, D.A. is a no brainer, imo.

Once you remove the need for a trip to Keste, you're left with Joe's and John's.  Scott's bus tour is open ended on the locations it visits, but I can guarantee you that it will hit at least one of New York City's legendary coal places.  As far as NYC coal goes, John's is towards the top, but coal, for the most part, has been coasting on it's laurels for decades.  Juliana's is showing some promise on the coal front, but logistically, I'm not sure how you can make Juliana's happen. Still, though, you absolutely don't need to visit two coal places when you're here.  Go where ever Scott takes you (most likely Lombardi's), soak in all of Scott's historical brilliance and deal with whatever quality of pie you're served.

And then there was Joes.  Please please please don't make the trip to the village just for Joes  ;D  If you're down in Battery Park for the Statue of Liberty tour, a subway up to the village is not that different from a subway out to Williamsburg (about 10 more minutes to Brooklyn).  Williamsburg Pizza is just around the corner from Forcella and both are about a mile from Motorino.  A mile might be a little too long to walk with the current weather, so I might do a taxi for that- or just do Forcella and Williamsburg.

At the end of the day, Don Antonio + Forcella  + Williamsburg + Scott's tour will be about a thousand times better than Keste + Joe's + John's + Scott's tour.  This part of Brooklyn isn't too terribly scenic, but you've got the rest of your trip for that.

A subway to Brooklyn gives you the best pizza that NY has to offer, while still working within your limited schedule.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Keste is definitely worth a trip, but... it's the same owner as Don Antonio (Roberto), so the pizzas will be pretty much identical. Don Antonio is actually larger, so they have a greater selection of specialty pizzas, including the Montanara (fried pizza).  Don Antonio is right in the theater district, so, if that's where you're staying, that's the easiest to make happen. Don Antonio also has pretty late hours and is open from lunch to dinner.  Based upon where you're staying, D.A. is a no brainer, imo.

Yes, we will be staying in the theater district (near 40th street and 8th avenue), so I was thinking about walking up to Don Antonio's (10 blocks north... so about a 15 minute walk). I didn't realize that he also owned Keste, so I'll do Antonio's and skip Keste.

Go where ever Scott takes you (most likely Lombardi's), soak in all of Scott's historical brilliance and deal with whatever quality of pie you're served.

Yes, Scott's Pizza Bus tour starts at Lombardi's, so I'll save that for the tour.

And then there was Joes.  Please please please don't make the trip to the village just for Joes  ;D  If you're down in Battery Park for the Statue of Liberty tour, a subway up to the village is not that different from a subway out to Williamsburg (about 10 more minutes to Brooklyn).  Williamsburg Pizza is just around the corner from Forcella and both are about a mile from Motorino.  A mile might be a little too long to walk with the current weather, so I might do a taxi for that- or just do Forcella and Williamsburg.

At the end of the day, Don Antonio + Forcella  + Williamsburg + Scott's tour will be about a thousand times better than Keste + Joe's + John's + Scott's tour.  This part of Brooklyn isn't too terribly scenic, but you've got the rest of your trip for that.

A subway to Brooklyn gives you the best pizza that NY has to offer, while still working within your limited schedule.

Ok, you've sufficiently twisted my arm.  :)  I'll talk to my wife and see about hopping a taxi (or subway) over to Williamsburg Pizza in Brooklyn (and possibly Forcella). Do they sell by the slice? I doubt my wife and I can finish off two whole pies by ourselves.

Now to study the subway system some more.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
I'll talk to my wife and see about hopping a taxi (or subway) over to Williamsburg Pizza in Brooklyn (and possibly Forcella).

Are you doing the Statue of Liberty tour during the week or weekend?  Week: When you get back from the Statue of Liberty tour you'll be pretty close to the broad street J stop.  The J will take you to Marcy Ave, about 10 min walk from Williamsburg pizza.  Weekend: The 4 or 5 from bowling green or wall street is near the tour drop off, and will take you to the J at Bklyn Bridge-City Hall (4,5)/Chambers (J) and will take you to Hewes St which is like a 4 min walk.

scott123

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »
Yes, we will be staying in the theater district (near 40th street and 8th avenue), so I was thinking about walking up to Don Antonio's (10 blocks north... so about a 15 minute walk).

Those are short blocks- google has it as a 10 minutes, but, if you're walking briskly, I think you can do it in less.  If you're going to Time's Square, that's even a little closer.

Ok, you've sufficiently twisted my arm.  :)  I'll talk to my wife and see about hopping a taxi (or subway) over to Williamsburg Pizza in Brooklyn (and possibly Forcella). Do they sell by the slice? I doubt my wife and I can finish off two whole pies by ourselves.

Williamsburg is a classic by-the-slice joint, but Forcella is Neapolitan- whole pies.  You can always bring what you don't eat back with you to the hotel.  Right about now, the outdoor temps at night are just about refrigerator temps, so, if you don't have a refrigerator in your room, you can put pizza on the balcony/fire escape.

One caveat regarding Williamsburg.  It's kind of a tough area.  It's not the projects, it's not the Bronx, but, it's still a tiny bit rough around the edges.  It's Brooklyn, and Brooklyn can get... colorful ;D Maintain a situational awareness.  If you've got GPS on your phone, use that for navigation, so you look like you know where you're going.

And this advice goes for all of NY.  The theater district and battery park have a load of tourists, and tourists can be low hanging fruit for unsavory characters.  I'm not saying you need to be more wary in Brooklyn, just be aware everywhere. NY is way safer than it used to be, and I'm sure you'll be perfectly safe, but it doesn't hurt to have your wits about you.

Oh, and if you go to Williamsburg, try to make it to Forcella.  Both Forcella and D.A. are very authentic Neapolitan, but the crusts are very different- differences that you typically don't see in Neapolitan pizzas.  By going to both, it's a great way to see the variety in what is typically a fairly tightly defined style.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:25:02 PM by scott123 »

Offline misterschu

scott123

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
Misterchu, thanks for the heads up.

I have mixed feelings about a second location. On the plus side, a second location shows that Williamsburg is successful, so the public is recognizing the stellar work. But second locations can also occasionally dilute the quality.

Until I hear otherwise, I guess this is good news.

Edit: I just looked at a map of the location.  This is Manhattan.  That's a little different.  If they can match their Williamsburg quality in a Manhattan location, that would be quite a feat.

Just as long as they don't expand to NJ.  I don't want the competition  >:D

Edit2: It's a shame it won't be open for Steve's trip.  This would be a very quick cab ride from Battery Park.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:50:51 PM by scott123 »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
It's a shame it won't be open for Steve's trip.  This would be a very quick cab ride from Battery Park.

I was thinkng the same thing!

Offline misterschu

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
Scott, I just tried a plain slice from Williamsburg pizza on your recommendation (little ny pizza tour with a few friends, started at speedy romeo, then slice at williamsburg pizza, then to roberta's).

Williamsburg pizza was the real standout.  Best slice I've had in a long time.  I've been to NY pizza suprema recently.. but I ALWAYS get the upside down slice there. I just can't resist it.