Author Topic: Nice Youtube video: NY Pizza tour  (Read 2043 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Nice Youtube video: NY Pizza tour
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
Misterchu, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It's pretty obvious that Ed Levine knows his stuff:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/11/williamsburg-pizza-a-cause-for-celebration.html

As do Adam Kuban and John Wozniak, who recommended Williamsburg in the comments. When you get these kind of heavy hitters recommending a pizza, it's going to be good.

Also, just to clarify, when I mentioned not wanting the competition in NJ, it was in the context of a fairly distant future.  When I open shop, in 5 years or so, I wouldn't want a local Williamsburg site.  Don't get me wrong, my life's mission is to see truly great NY style pizza return to this area, and having a place like Williamsburg in Manhattan and Brooklyn makes me ecstatic, but, as an aspiring pizzeria owner, I wouldn't want to open next door to one :)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
I'm going to talk to Scott (Scott's Pizza Tours) to see if he'll add Williamsburg Pizza to his list of stops. Otherwise it looks like I'm taking the J (or M) train to Hewes Street and walking. I did a Google Street View and it looks pretty simple.  Broadway to Montrose to Union (just past the Walgreens and the BP station).
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 08:13:06 PM »
Was in Brooklyn Friday night, and ended up hitting this little beer store/ tasting room right next to Paulie's, and then ate too much at Paulie's.  That screwed me up getting to try Williamsburg as per Scott's recommendation, and also finding Wheated.  I regret missing those.  Paulie's was a great experience all around,... great pizza, and a really nice, fun guy.
I'll also mention, I really liked the Soho Square Sicilian (not Grandma or Pepperoni square) at Prince St. Pizza.  Had 2 that he heated up for lunch,... awesome. 
Have fun..enjoy

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
Dunno if you've come and gone already, Steve, but ... what Scott (and others) said. Williamsburg Pizza is phenomenal. Had some spare time yesterday and dropped by for a plain regular slice and a plain grandma. Out of this world. Haven't been on PM in a couple weeks so just now seeing this thread, but, yeah, if you're still pre-trip, try to include this place for maybe the best example of a New York slice at the moment.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline scott123

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 06:36:54 AM »
...the best example of a New York slice at the moment.

Adam, I've only been to a fraction of the places you've been, but, from what I've seen, I'm apt to agree. It's definitely superior to Best.  And even better than my beloved Pizzatown, which, last I heard, was doing 10 minute bakes.

I'm totally splitting hairs here, but I did have one small issue with the Williamsburg slice.  It has kind of an odd smokiness to it- like they swept the ovens, but didn't actually remove anything, and the smoke from the burnt dusting powder was permeating the crust.

Still, though, they get my vote for best in the area. Nowhere I've been to comes close. Joe's circa 1990 was better, but, without a time machine, this is it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:39:51 AM by scott123 »

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »
Scott123: First, I'm eager to see a Scott123's Pizzeria. I'm sure you'll keep us all posted here. Second, you have probably eaten at as many or more places than I have. I AM FLOORED to see you declare Williamsburg Pizza better than Pizzatown. My mind is boggling. I know what you mean about the dusting of burnt stuff. That happened the first time I went there. On subsequent visits (2x since then), I haven't had it happen. I really wish it were closer to where I work so I could go there more. I may have to take a long lunch in the coming week.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline scott123

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
I AM FLOORED to see you declare Williamsburg Pizza better than Pizzatown. My mind is boggling.

Well, in all fairness, I've always ranked Pizzatown as being the best I've tasted in the area, but far from perfect. Michele, at her best, made what I felt was a 7.5 out of 10 quality pie, and Bruce made a 7.  Within this paradigm, Williamsburg could be an 8.5.  With Pizzatown having recently lost their way by extending bake times, though, it's incredibly easy to give Williamsburg the nod.

Some might consider this a fault, but I have very little sentimentality when it comes to pizzerias.  I've seen way too much apathy occur in successful restaurants to ever get too attached to one particular establishment.  If the pizza is great, I worship at your altar, but, change that, and we're done. I wouldn't say I'm done with Pizzatown, but the black marks are mounting.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:09:16 PM by scott123 »

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
Scott: I'm sure you've mentioned it on another thread here, but when and (do you know) why did the bake times change at Pizzatown?
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline scott123

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
Scott: I'm sure you've mentioned it on another thread here, but when and (do you know) why did the bake times change at Pizzatown?

Adam, about 8 months, I bought a pie, sat there and timed it, and it was 7 minutes.

About 3 months ago, I bought a slice and it was pretty mediocre and generic.

About a month ago, a friend timed a 10 minute bake.

I'm not sure where I read this, but they did recently have someone pass away in the organization, so maybe that threw them off their game and they'll bounce back. We'll see.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:33:28 PM by scott123 »

pizzapan