Author Topic: Anyone here ever had an ulcer?  (Read 581 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Anyone here ever had an ulcer?
« on: September 13, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
I've had a nagging pain in what feels like the upper area of my stomach for quite a while now (going back to last year perhaps). It feels a lot like hunger, but eating usually makes me feel even more hungry. The last few days there's been a lot more pain than usual, in addition to weakness, lethargy, and confusion, but I'm not sure if it's all related. Yesterday, from out of nowhere, something made me think of ulcer, so I did a little reading, and it seems like that might be what's going on.

I don't trust much of what I read on the internet, and I trust doctors even less. So I just wanted to throw this out there and see if it sounds familiar to anyone who knows anything about ulcers.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Anyone here ever had an ulcer?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
I didn't have one, but I had a close friend who did, and I had to listen to his constant whining and moaning due to his symptoms...Until he went to the doctor.

I remember him mentioning a lot of things...So,

1. Do you have heartburn?
2. Do you take antacids?
3. Is your poop black or dark?
4. Does it get worse when you lay down?
5. Does it get worse when your stomach is empty?

If so, you might want to see a doctor. My friend did.
Some meds and a small change in diet, then your body should fix itself.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
Please try to find a doctor you can trust. Sometimes it's best to see  Pro.
Marty

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
Ryan, back in the 70s and 80s I suffered from duodenal ulcers. Confirmed at the time by some type of scan, probably not used now. I will second Marty, go to a doc, ulcers are no fun and can usually be treated, BUT, for your own good you need to know what is causing the pain.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »
I am a doctor. You need to see a doctor. As mmmph suggests, it may be that there is a simple solution.But it could be something very serious. Much more serious than an ulcer. And looking for answers on a pizza site is foolish.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
Sucks Ryan.  Too much stuffed pizza perhaps?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
I think maybe it's not as bad as I was beginning to fear (or maybe I've already done some things to start making it better), but it's definitely something I need to pay attention to. I'm gonna treat it as if it is an ulcer, basically through diet. (It might be about time for me to force myself to try cabbage.) Nothing personal, Serpentelli, but I am extremely uninclined to trust doctors. With good reason.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
There is a number of things it could be and abdominal pain is weird because the problem may be in a different place than where you feel it. gall bladder, pancreatitis, ulcer, crohn's, hepatitis, esophagitis, reflux, cancer.........just to name a few in the upper abdominal area. Been working critical critical care for 23 years.....GO TO SEE A PRO......not backyard answers here, other internet sites or friends, REALLY!!! Would be very happy to hear you went to see a Dr. My daughter's friends mom put off what she thought was reflux and upper GI pain for a year and lost 30 lbs. 3 weeks ago they found cancer in 4 spots and is a terminal stage 4 cancer. Caught early would have been treatable. Nuff said, get'r done!!!!!

jon

ps.....don't let a bad taste from a couple doc's cause you to disregard them all and throw common sense away
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:37:08 PM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
Thanks for your concern, everyone. I think this is probably not as serious as I worried it might be, but still potentially serious. It's weird, confusing, and eye-opening when you realize something you thought was a little nagging discomfort might actually be a serious issue. I'm gonna try to fix this on my own, but if my approach doesn't show positive results pretty quickly, I will see a doctor.

Also, the feedback throughout this page has surely influenced my ultimate decision.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »
Could be gallstones, I have those and they are no fun.

Pain is front to back on the bottom edge of ribs on right hand side.

Red meats and solid dairy (cheese, butter etc.) brings it on a few hours after eating them so best to avoid those.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 01:14:27 PM »
I didn't really want to read this post but now I have here is my reply. For years I suffered with heartburn,reflux,and general stomach upset. Went to a doc who treated me for a helicobacter virus, it didn't stop so went and had an endoscopic examination which also confirmed a helicobacter virus and I was put on yet another course of antibiotics. Three months later I had another endoscopic examination as the problems persisted only this time they discovered a tumour in my upper stomach and within a weekI  had three quarters of my stomach removed in a six and a half hour operation. I was only 41 then and turned 47 last week (which I never expected to see) and now life's great. So moral of the story Aimless Ryan. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .If I didn't go see the doc I wouldnt be here with a dough in the fridge beside a few nice cold guinness for tonight so stop messing about and go see a doc  ^^^
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
get multiple doctors opinion... you don't want something simple to heal to get worth.. Hope you feall better.
Bert,