Author Topic: Donatos Pizza - anyone got a recipe?  (Read 59595 times)

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Re: Donatos Pizza - anyone got a recipe?
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »
Hi all - wow, I've missed some good stuff! I hadn't gotten any "reply notification" emails, so sorry I've been out for a bit.

Marty - what kind of pepperoni are you using? That stuff looks great! It certainly passes the 'look' test for Donatos pepperoni. As of right now I think that's going to be my biggest challenge.

It's awesome that we got some more people trying this out! I've made a few clones since my last post, but the last two time my camera was dead and I didn't realize it.

Overall, I've gotten it down relatively well - less skin sticking and better dough management. The biggest crust challenge for me has been even browning on the bottom and getting those nice crispy almost-burnt edges.

I'll have to do another here soon and post again. Thanks for everyones help!
~Waz

Offline rbccjose@yahoo.com

« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2007, 10:19:15 PM »
     hi. its great to know about donatos pizza. can you give me a recipe on your pizza. Iwould like to try in our country.

Offline marty

• Supporting Member
  • searching for knowledge
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
Waz,

Trust me its not the same as donatos pepperoni...

But you are looking for a burnt edge.  use more flour to roll it out, then let your skin dry out in room temp. Not in the bag you have tried in the past and see if this is what you are looking for.

Marty

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »
Hey there Marty! Good to hear from you! Would you mind terribly if I asked what kind of pepperoni you're using? :) I can completely understand if that's a shop secret that you can't really divulge, but finding pepperoni that's even remotely close to Donatos/Mid-west style pizza is super hard!! haha

Currently I'm taking my skins and once I get them all rolled out I oil it, dust it with corn meal, and flip it onto the disc. I then put another disc on top and use that as a guide for cutting it out and then I stick the disc in the oven along with a big 6-cup pyrex bowl full of ~200 degree water to proof for 30 minutes. This seems to be a crucial step from Pete's deductions. Once I get it out, should I let it then completely dry on the counter top? Do you proof with high humidity at all, or do you just let your skins dry out on the counter top?
~Waz
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 10:14:30 AM by Wazatron »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »
Waz,

Can you tell us which dough formulation you have been using of late?

Peter

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »
Hey there Chipsrus! I would love to see a 614 pizza site! Columbus really does have some amazing pizza shops, and a style all their own. It'd be cool to see all that information gathered in one location!

As for which I'm going for (pre/post McDonalds) I have to admit that I can't remember the difference. I've eaten Donatos my whole life, but never really paid attention to things like taste, texture (haha) until I was old enough to appreciate it. I do say that I still love the current Donatos, so I suppose that's what I'm going for. Some other Columbus favorites over the years have been Granddad's, Tommy's, Enricos, Massesys... the list goes on... haha

Pete suggested I start a new thread based on the current recipe, but I don't know that I'm quite ready to do that, as I keep finding "holes" in the final product that makes me want to keep making more. I suppose I should soon though, as this thread has gotten pretty long. I guess I'll post the recipe I'm currently working with on this thread and hopefully work towards a nice "1.0" version to post as a new thread for us Donatos/Ohio-style pizza lovers!

Hi, I am going to try the waz recipe. I live in Columbus and worked for my brother at "The Pizza Shop" here for many years. Made it all. He and my other brothers worked for Grote when he started on Thurman Ave. in Columbus in the 60's. Another brother has a shop too here but the one I worked at is gone since he is now in politics. Someday I will get my 614pizza site going since it is supposed to be the pizza capital with most shops per capita.

Anyway, I remember some things and I know the dough I made was similar since thats where my brother learned it. It was not the same though. Eggs....dry milk...yeast..flour...oil...water. I cant remember more now but it all went in a big mixer and then after a few hours in went in a big plastic trash can. It would rise and you punch it down a few times and it was ready. Rolled on a 2 step roller, put the pan upside down on the dough, cut the dough, flip pan, put on cornmeal, flip dough. Go put on sauce, etc.

oh....Winchester Farms Sausage with hot pepper "bird seed" was the same. We put more hot in it.

But....now that I think about it maybe you are now talking about MacDonatos.  Someday I will write to Grote. It has changed so much. The original sub bun is gone too. That is a story in itself. That was the best.

Can't eat the current pizza without heartburn. But I can eat other shops. Now its a disc made somewhere else brought to the shop put in a mchine to rejuvenate it. Like a space cracker.

So there is "original" and "MacDonatos"
which are you going for? Maybe some of the things I remember help.
Joe

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Donatos Pizza - Curret Working Recipe (my 2.0)
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »
First of all, Pete-za really deserves all the credit here. Without all his help in getting this started I'd be nowhere close, and as of now I'm able to make a pretty good (not yet perfect) Donato's close that at least helps the cravings all the way out here in Denver.  :-D Please try try try this recipe, especially everyone familiar with Donatos, and let us know what you think! (ps - I know a lot of work needs done with the sauce!!!)

Wazatron's 14-inch Donatos Clone Dough Recipe – Version 2.0

•   100%, Bread flour (KA), 7.50 oz. (212.34 g.), 1 3/4 c. + 2 t. (stir, spoon and level technique)
•   46%, Water*, 3.25 oz.
•   10.8%, Eggs, 0.81 oz. (22.93 g.), about 1/2 of a large egg
•   3.5%, Vegetable oil, 0.26 oz. (7.43 g.), a bit over 1 1/2 t.
•   1.7%, Salt, 0.13 oz. (3.61 g.), a bit over 5/8 t.
•   1.7%, Dried dairy whey, 0.13 oz. (3.61 g.), a bit over 1 1/8 t.
•   1.5%, Nonfat dry milk, 0.11 oz. (3.19 g.), a bit over 2 1/8 t.
•   1%, Sugar, 0.07 oz. (2.12 g.), a bit over 1/2 t.
•   0.50%, Instant dry yeast (IDY), 0.04 oz. (1.06 g.), a bit over 1/3 t.

Total dough weight = 13.08 oz. (370.95 g.)
Pizza size = 14 inches
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.085

Dough Preparation:
•   Stir the nonfat dry milk into a small amount of the total water, scald (with microwave), let cool, and set aside.
•   Combine the flour, sugar, IDY, and the dried dairy whey in a bowl, and set aside.
•   Crack one egg, stir, measure out the amount needed, and set aside.
•   Put the remaining water into the bowl of the stand mixer, add the salt and stir to dissolve.
•   Add the cooled liquid nonfat dry milk and the egg to the salt/water "brine" and combine (with a wooden spoon).
•   Add the flour mixture gradually and mix/knead at Stir or 1 speed until all or a good part of the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
•   TIP*: I have reduced the overall water – chances are you will need to add a TINY bit more to get the dough to come together. If so, add in VERY SMALL increments, like 1/8 tsp. The dough can easily go from too dry to too sticky and unworkable in a heartbeat.
•   Add the oil and knead to combine, using speed 1 and/or 2, adding any additional flour and/or water needed to achieve a dough that is smooth and slightly sticky (tacky).
•   Knead the dough by hand for about 30 seconds and shape into a ball or disk.
•   Lightly oil the dough ball and place it within a container (covered) and then put into the refrigerator.

Dough management:
•   Place in refrigerator for about 52 hours
•   Warm up at room temperature for 1 hour
•   Roll out on heavily floured work surface, using a rolling pin, to 14 inches
•   Dock the dough and oil with vegetable oil.
•   Liberally dust with cornmeal, patting down into the dough
•   Flip the dough onto a disk and use a pizza cutter to “cut” around the circle for a nicely shaped pizza without big edges.
•   Proof in the oven, with humidity (from 200-degree F water in a large measuring cup), for 1/2 hour.
•   Pull skin out and rest on counter while oven heats up to 450

Dressing of the Pizza:
•   Dress using Donatos’ clone sauce, shredded aged-smoked-Provolone cheese, and whatever toppings you might like (all veggies must be fresh!! No canned mushrooms!!)

Baking Protocol Options:
1.   Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2.   Place pizza on lowest rack position at 450 for 7 minutes (or until done)

Wazatron's Donatos Clone Sauce – Version 2.0

Mix/whisk together before hand and let sit overnight. Do not cook.
•   Tomato paste   1 can
•   Water  1 can
•   Sugar  1 tbsp
•   Salt  1 tbsp
•   Basil  1 tbsp
•   Ground basil  1 tbsp
•   Paprika  Ό tbsp

Offline marty

• Supporting Member
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »
Waz,

We aready discussed the pepperoni I use if you remember it was Ezzo..

Yes, just let it set out on the counter till the edges get a little crusty. dock it and then sauce ect.

well we strat ours in a proofer but when I let it set out on a pizza tree (RACK)uncovered it seems to get the effect you are looking for... crispy edges .. leave it out for about 15min or so.

Marty

Offline marty

• Supporting Member
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »
Waz,

I see your sauce recipe.. One thing you might be missing is garlic, I didnt see in your list. I would have to think they would have it as an ingredient. Maybe not

Marty

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2007, 05:13:32 PM »
Okay, yes! I do remember the Ezzo now! :)

That leads me to another question... ;) Haha

How in the heck do you cut the stuff? I use a regular chef's knife. But it seems hard to cut, and even harder to get nice thin-thin slices. I'm sure you've got a way-cool slicer of some kind, haha, but do you have any suggestions for the home cook? I tried a mandolin but the blades just weren't nearly sharp enough to cut nice and clean through the stick.

Oh, and I only used ingredients that were stated in the ingredient list I got from Donato's - hence no garlic anything. Not to say they haven't used it, or maybe changed something. The only real difference is they use aquasian paprika (I'm sure that is spelled wrong) for, what Pete thinks, not much more than coloring. I go ahead and add a bit, but it definitely skews the flavor off if you use a lot.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 05:15:49 PM by Wazatron »

Offline Zap

« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2007, 03:48:31 AM »
Looks like I'm dragging this thread up from the past.  My girlfriend is from Columbus and I lived there for quite some time.  We both miss Donato's and are quite interested in hearing any more feedback on the recipes in this thread.  Which one is the best so far, any other further developments?  I have an ingredient list from the Ala Casa Pizza (the ones they sell premade in the stores like Kroger that you bake at home) that describes everything in the pizza.  It pretty much matches what I've seen in this thread, though it curiously lists rye flour after the wheat flour and before the water in the crust part.   I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed, but the Romano / Oregano mix is listed at the very end of the list.  Sadly, I did not save the part that told you the baking instructions - but they are on every pizza sold in the grocery store so if nothing else maybe next time in Columbus I'll have to check it out.

So, I'd be glad to hear some input - we want to make some pizza :)

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »
Hey there Zap - all the info you need to get going is right here in this thread: recipe, tools, procedure, etc. It would be great for someone else familiar with Donatos to try this out and add feedback!

(most recent recipe and method is posted just above (Donatos Pizza - Curret Working Recipe (my 2.0)).

Although I will say if you go back a few pages there's an "older" recipe, that just has slightly less egg and slightly more water (I think...) that my girlfriend thinks tastes/smells more like Donatos. I need to get another screen so I can make them at the same time and to a side-by-side blind taste test.

Also, I just found a Vic Firth (sp?) 18" rolling pin on Amazon that I'm going to pick up. Getting an even skin without spots too thin or thick is still very tricky for me. I'm hoping that the rolling pin along with a couple of those rubber-band thickness dealios will help me get a smooth, even skin.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:50:50 AM by Wazatron »

Offline BTB

« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »
Waz, where do you find "dried dairy whey?"  I'm unfamiliar with that and didn't see it at the super food market last night.           --TB

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2007, 09:54:43 AM »
TB,

I don't recall offhand where Waz found his dried dairy whey, but I found mine in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Bob's Red Mill also carries it in packaged form. Another possible source is Barry Farm Foods, at http://www.barryfarm.com/milk.htm. I haven't personally tried them but they have a very wide assortment of items that can be used in pizza doughs, and at what appear to be reasonable prices.

Peter

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2007, 10:46:15 AM »
If you're only looking to get sweet dairy whey online from any one source, you might also consider bulkfoods.com since they build the cost of shipping into the price which usually makes it cheaper for smaller orders.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=4167&txtsearchParamCat=1&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
I was able to find dried dairy whey at Vitamin Cottage. They have a freezer/refrigerator section that has all sorts of smaller-bulk type items just in plastic bags. I got a 1.3lb bag for something like $1.50 and haven't even used 1/4th of it so far in all my pizza making.

I actually wasn't able to find it at Whole Paycheck(Foods) but there's a new Sunflower market opening up that's within reasonable driving distance (and a bit closer than the Vitamin Cottage) that I'm going to check out, as they might have it in bulk too.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
Waz,

I forgot to mention that since you last made one of your periodic visits to the forum, an expanded dough calculating tool was posted at the forum at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html. When Boy Hits Car (Mike) and I developed the tool, we made sure that it could handle all of the ingredients you have been using to make the Donatos clone dough. So, now you should be able to play around with baker's percents to your heart's delight to further improve your results if you'd like. To read more about the new tool, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025.msg42542.html#msg42542.

Peter

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
Wow! That's awesome! Thanks for pointing that out!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2007, 02:42:09 PM »
Waz,

Glad you liked it.

I know that you have been playing around with other dough formulations, so if you want to see the full lineup of tools, go to http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html.

Peter

Offline jamiecoyne

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »
I'm sorry but Donatos tastes like the box it comes in.  and the sauce is like ketchup.  Maybe Grote made a good pizza in it's day but  since it was sold to and bought back from McDonalds - it's McPizza.

Columbus is Pizza Hell...alot of bad pizza lingers here for years and years.  Along with NY Style, Chiacgo Style - there should be something called 'Ohio Style' or what I call - college pizza...something drunk kids buy from Pizza Factories and campus joints that are $5 on mondays that are tough as nails and nasty.

There are a few highlights in Columbus in spite of that...

#1 RUBINOS in Bexley- since 1954.  You'll love it or hate it - but I guarantee you'll have nothing like it anywhere else...the thinest crispiest pizza you'll ever eat.  Their sausage is made from scratch on site and sliced in thin slices.  38ml pepperoni...delicious

tell them Jamie sent you

#2.  Pizzeria New York in Pickerington, OH (Columbus 'burb) - the best pizza outside of NYC...right up there with Lombardi's and Metro in Vegas.  Norm knows what he's doing and- he helped me build the World's Longest Hot Dog in 2005 - but giving me the doughball to make the bun! 

tell them Jamie sent you

#3.  Flyers Pizza is fine for a Friday night 'Columbus Pizza' - a unique sweet sauce but doesn't come close to those listed above.

Ezzo Pepperoni is EXCELLENT!

pizzapan