Author Topic: completely confused???  (Read 1892 times)

Offline atlgirl

• I Love Pizza!
completely confused???
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:12:16 AM »
Members,
 I am blown away by your knowledge on the art of making Pizza. I am an avid cook but find this all very confusing, ??? (poolish, %'s, flours, etc.).

I apologize for such dumb questions, but the only way to learn is to ask. Thanks for your patience! 

1) I see that Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is used, has anyone used Delverde 00 flour?  I found this at my local Whole Foods, which I have tried.  It is expensive $3.50 for 1000g.

2) Has anyone used Flora San Marzano Tomatoes DOP, I also get these at Whole Foods for about $4.60 a 28 oz. can?

Last, but not least,
3) Any suggestions for someone just learning how to make pizza and knows nothing about bread making?  Books, web sites, etc. that might help.
(I  have seen Jeff's thread on Patsy's Pizza and when I looked at the spread sheet I had no idea what he was talking about).

The scary part is, just this October I had a wood burning clay pizza oven built outside while finishing our backyard! By reading your website daily, I have come to realize that I am not even  close to being ready to cook in this thing!  Although I have tried weekly to make pizzas out there and I thought they were really good, I see I am probably going to have grandchildren before I can perfect this thing.

Any help in getting started is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
Re: completely confused???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:27:41 AM »
Aww it aint all that complicated  ;) Try the thin & crispy recipe on the 1st page under recipes when you open this site (before you enter the forums) If you have a kitchen aid use that to make your dough. We all have different styles we like to make I use bread flour mixed with 25% of semolina flour I also add a little garlic powder to my dough cause I like it Sometimes I add dried oregano as well. If you don't feel comfy making dough start out using that ready made stuff in the can biscuit section, main thing is to follow the prep. directions (let the dough come to room temp ect...)
%s = recipe calls for 4cups 25%= 1cup. the same thing applies if you you using a scale 50% of 1lb = 1/2lb or 8oz
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:33:58 AM by 007bond-jb »

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »
Atl girl

These people are the most knowlegeable around...you dont need to go out and purchase books. There is a guy named Pete on the site. Read everything he has written over and over. My pies turn out great thanks to him and the rest of these nice people. They will lead you in the right direction. He lead me to the right flour...scales and so on. Welcome to the site. You will be a hit with your friends after being a part of this forum.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »
 Hi atlgirl. welcome to the forum. There is no reason to be scared of our technical jargon, some of us are a little mad here. The one thing to understand about any type of baking is that pro bakers convert recipes to bakers percentages. Once you have the bakers percentage of a recipe you can make as many as you want with better quality and consistency. I think eventually you may want to go this route yourself. So you will need a scale in order to get you started. I would never reccommend this for a new baker/pizza maker but you do have a wood oven in the back yard and can forsee you having pizza parties in you're future. The fact that you have a wood oven, i would suggest you start looking for a recipe in the Neopolitan section. I think that using the flours and tomatoes you have avaiable should be fine for now. ask plenty of questions and goodluck,    Chiguy 

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 11:14:45 AM »
You will find more information on these pages than any book you can buy.Save your money and buy some Buffala Mozzarella !I presume that as you are buying Italian Flour and tomatoes and that you have a wood burning oven,you are interested in Italian Style Pizzas.Do a search and read the "A 16 " thread and also try and read as much as you can absorb in the Neapolitan style thread.There are very knowledgable people here.If you follow the advice of Peetza,Bill/SFNM,Scott R,Pizzanapoletana, amongst others you will be in safe hands and learning from some of the most friendly and generous people involved here.Good luck,
                                                                                                     David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:09:27 PM »
First off, read the glossary. Better yet, print out a copy and keep it by the computer to help you learn the terminology quicker. Here's is a link.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html

This is a link to the core recipes, but additional work and information on these recipes exists within the threads.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_recipes.html

People on this site are usually good for pointing you to the information you request if it already exsists. You've got your oven so you are off to a great start.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 01:30:55 PM »
atlgirl,

There is an old Confucius saying that says: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You should start slowly. Otherwise, if you try to read and absorb too much at a time it will be like trying to drink water out of a fire hose. I would heed the advice of some of the other members and start with the Neapolitan style pizzas since you have a wood-fired oven which should serve you well with that style. I wouldn’t worry about baker’s percents or spreadsheets and the like. That will come slowly or, if you wish, not at all. What pace you wish to proceed at will be entirely up to you. We have beginning pizza makers and professionals as members of the forum and just about everyone in between. We are all here to learn.

As far as reading material is concerned, I would do as Lydia has suggested and start by reading the forum’s Pizza Glossary a few times. Not for purposes of comprehension, since a glossary is not intended or organized for that. It is to become familiar with the terms so that you recognize them as you read the various posts. As you learn and start to feel more comfortable with the subject matter, you can then refer back to the Glossary for greater understanding.

I have been recommending the following thread for beginning pizza makers--especially those who are interested in the NY style--although it has general relevance to doughs for other applications: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html. What I and others have tried to do at that thread is to provide more detail than you will usually get from most recipes on dough and pizza making. We tried to anticipate and provide answers to many of the questions that beginning pizza makers ask and to tell them where a lot of the potholes are so that they can avoid them as much as possible. Unfortunately, there is a limit to what can be done with words and photos. Practice and experience take time.

If you want to buy a book on pizza making, my recommendation would be Peter Reinhart’s American Pie. A review of American Pie can be found on the forum, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_books.html. Since Peter Reinhart wrote about his trip to Italy, it should fit well with the Neapolitan pizza theme. It will also help in understanding the basics of pizza making and the different types and styles of pizzas that are indigenous to different parts of the country. When you are ready to try recipes, you can try some from the book or you can find them here. I personally think that the forum’s recipes are better than most I have read in any pizza cookbook, and I have quite a few such cookbooks. You will not find many recipes for 00 doughs in cookbooks, so I wouldn’t try finding one. I know of only one 00 dough cookbook recipe, in one book (Morgan-Gemignani). There's well over a dozen or two on the forum.

I have tried the Delverde 00 flour that you asked about. Until the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour came along, I tried the Delverde 00 flour. Since I did not know what the flour was all about or how best to use it, it took me a lot of experimenting to figure it out. By that time, the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour came along and I never looked back. I think the Delverde should work reasonably well for recipes calling for the Caputo 00 flour so I wouldn’t dispose of it. When you are done, you can switch to a Caputo flour.

Good luck and happy learning.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:33:46 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:34:03 PM »
Enjoy making your really good pizza's with the recipe you have  ;D 

There is a lot more extra info offered here, but at the end of the day - make what you and your family like.  In Australia, we do not have Caputo 00 nor any DOP canned tomatoes that I know of, but we do have flush toilets and  kangaroo's do not bounce down  the main streets everywhere  :-D  My family prefers my pizza's more than the take-away alternatives - including the commercial vendors like Pizza Hut or Dominoes.

As Pete-zza advises, make small step, read lots of posts and slowly evolve your pizza to your family's likes and dislikes.  Having said that, I would only make subtle changes to your recipe until you learn what you want  from your pizza experience.  Peeps here are so helpful, and from what I have seen they only offer good advice - use the forum to your advantage and ask questions.  Keeping a log of your good recipes is a good place to start and just  finely tune them slowly. 

My biggest learning curve was to get the flour/water ratio to around 60% accurately for a consistant result.

Have fun with your pizza's and welcome to the site  :pizza:

Wazza McG

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:12:11 PM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline buzz

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:41:47 PM »
In other words, don't be intimidated by all the technical information or need for scales or percentages or flour types, or whatever! All you need to make great pizza is some all-purpose flour and a measuring cup. So start at the start, make a basic crust, see how you like it--then later, if you want to, you can buy a scale, or try different flours, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $4.60 for a can of San Marzanos. Find a local Italian deli where they will be cheaper than Whole Foods (at mine they are @$2-2.50), or substitute with Muir Glen or Progresso, etc.

Start small, find out what you like, and finish big!

pizzapan